Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice for Graduating Senior

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice for Graduating Senior [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 11:24
I am just about to graduate college, and have decided that i want to get a MBA down the road. I plan on working 3-4 years. I want to know if you have any advice for me to improve my profile over the next 3 years. I want to eventually get into a top 10 MBA school. Here is what I have now....

GMAT: 760

Education
BS Of Industrial Engineering with a minor in Economics from Texas A&M Univ
Cum GPA 2.7, Major GPA 3.4: Last 60 hours: 3.5
(not that they would care but the low grades was from a medical incident and heavy involvement in extracurricular activities and working part time to pay for school)

Extracurricular:
4 years of military school training: Texas A&M Corps of Cadets.
-various leadership roles including managing small group of underclassmen for a year (around 12), and organizing an event invoving 100+ people
Selected for the student council at my school
Involved in a mentoring program for incoming and current freshmen.

Job Experience:
When I graduate this May I will be working for Bank of America in their technology division. The job is a leadership developmeny/ rotational program in their technology division. I also interned there over a summer and was given their highest rating exceeding expectations.

What can I do over the next few years to increase my resume and more specifically how to overcome the low GPA and prove that I can handle the academics?

Thanks!!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 0

Re: Advice for Graduating Senior [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Sabodis,

Smart of you to plan ahead. It gives you more time to strengthen your profile.

Academically, the GMAT puts you ahead of the crowd. Keep in mind that GMAT scores are valid for 5 years, so try to apply before then if you want to use this one. Regarding the low GPA for the first 2 years, you will have the optional essay to explain it (the AdCom will care about the reasons - if you don't explain it, it will remain an unanswered question and could hamper your application). You have a strong case since you can demonstrate that you were able to get past the incident and raise your GPA for the next couple years.

Personally, anyone stepping out of their comfort zone is always appreciated. In this area of social responsibility, community service, especially when you can demonstrate impact, helps your candidacy. Extracurricular activities that show you as a well-rounded candidate are also beneficial.

Professionally, quantify your achievements and develop your soft skills, through both routine responsibilities and extra projects. This will help you be a better professional and help you get stronger letters of recommendation when you do apply. Also, start thinking about what you would like to do post-MBA, and start obtaining relevant experiences that you can leverage for that position.

All the best! Congratulations on your graduation. Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your graduate school application when you are ready.

Sabodis wrote:
I am just about to graduate college, and have decided that i want to get a MBA down the road. I plan on working 3-4 years. I want to know if you have any advice for me to improve my profile over the next 3 years. I want to eventually get into a top 10 MBA school. Here is what I have now....

GMAT: 760

Education
BS Of Industrial Engineering with a minor in Economics from Texas A&M Univ
Cum GPA 2.7, Major GPA 3.4: Last 60 hours: 3.5
(not that they would care but the low grades was from a medical incident and heavy involvement in extracurricular activities and working part time to pay for school)

Extracurricular:
4 years of military school training: Texas A&M Corps of Cadets.
-various leadership roles including managing small group of underclassmen for a year (around 12), and organizing an event invoving 100+ people
Selected for the student council at my school
Involved in a mentoring program for incoming and current freshmen.

Job Experience:
When I graduate this May I will be working for Bank of America in their technology division. The job is a leadership developmeny/ rotational program in their technology division. I also interned there over a summer and was given their highest rating exceeding expectations.

What can I do over the next few years to increase my resume and more specifically how to overcome the low GPA and prove that I can handle the academics?

Thanks!!!

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Re: Advice for Graduating Senior   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2010, 11:39