Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice for pacing Quant (50/51)?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 39

Advice for pacing Quant (50/51)? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 11:18
Hi guys,

I'm doing well in Quant (50/51 consistently), but I'm running into serious timing problems and I have a couple questions:

1) How bad is it for your score if you end a section poorly (say, you were getting all of the questions right, then got 3 of the last 6 wrong or something).

2) How do you guys pace the Quant section? I've tried to roughly keep it to 2 minutes a question as long as possible, but once I hit the hard questions I slow down considerably and am reluctant to answer questions without being 100% sure. It's pretty commonplace for me to have 3 minutes left for the last 3 questions and have to make educated guesses on them.

I'm taking the GMAT in 10 days.

Thanks!

My GMAT Experience: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-debrief-770-q50-v47-115912.html

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 426 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Advice for pacing Quant (50/51)? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 12:06
This post received
KUDOS
gmatkoopa wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm doing well in Quant (50/51 consistently), but I'm running into serious timing problems and I have a couple questions:

1) How bad is it for your score if you end a section poorly (say, you were getting all of the questions right, then got 3 of the last 6 wrong or something).

Very bad. Each problem you don't answer can drop you 3 percentile points and sequential incorrect problems will also tank your score.
gmatkoopa wrote:
2) How do you guys pace the Quant section? I've tried to roughly keep it to 2 minutes a question as long as possible, but once I hit the hard questions I slow down considerably and am reluctant to answer questions without being 100% sure. It's pretty commonplace for me to have 3 minutes left for the last 3 questions and have to make educated guesses on them.

I'm taking the GMAT in 10 days.

Thanks!

It's about averages, not 2 mins per problem, but average of 2 mins per problem over a block of problems. You will need to tame your reluctance and learn to move a bit faster on more difficult problems. Three minutes left with three problems is not that bad of a situation to be in. Just don't let individual problems drag you down and you should be fine.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 39

Re: Advice for pacing Quant (50/51)? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 12:32
Thanks mohater, that's very helpful! I was under the impression that if you were doing well the computer wouldn't drop your percentile considerably at the end, good to clear that up.

Definitely need to work on timing then.

My GMAT Experience: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-debrief-770-q50-v47-115912.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Advice for pacing Quant (50/51)? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 14:34
gmatkoopa,

If you give enough practice tests you would know the areas where you are weak and really slow down in quant. It is helpful to be aware of these topics in the actual GMAT. You should assign a maximum time limit on them, maybe 4 minutes. After 4 minutes just guess and move on. Don't make any question an ego issue ;). Even if you get the question wrong the next question will be easier and you can make up time.

Just remember that given enough time you will be able to solve all of those questions. The real challenge is to solve them in a stipulated time. So set yourself time limits on you weaker topics and you should be good to go.

http://pyarapopat.wordpress.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 7

Re: Advice for pacing Quant (50/51)? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
I recently took the test and I followed a general timing guide line that I made sure to adhere to. Basically, I would just tell myself that I needed to be done with 5 questions with at least 65 mins left, 10 questions with 55 mins left, 15 questions with 45 mins left, etc. By thinking of it like this it's easy to follow your progress using the provided timer.

Additionally, if I was able to get ahead of schedule, then I could spend more time on difficult questions down the line as long as I made sure to stay out of the negative.
Re: Advice for pacing Quant (50/51)?   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2011, 14:10