Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice From Hiring Professionals

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice From Hiring Professionals [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 09:42
Hey all!

I'm researching MBA programs in the US and have a question for those of you who are hiring MBA grads.

How much do you weigh which school the employment candidate received their MBA from in your hiring decision? Also, how much does a program accreditation mean to you on a resume (i.e. an MBA program that is accredited by the academic body associated with the particular program)? I am specifically looking at completing my MBA with a sport business/sport administration concentration, so if you are in that field of employment your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

I am also currently limited in my school selection criteria because I am an international student who will be looking at completing the first part (if not all) of my MBA online. This worries me because many of the online programs don't seem to be of the same calibre as those in-class programs.

Thanks in advance for your help!
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Advice From Hiring Professionals [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 05:02
It's hard to answer your question specifically because there are hundreds, if not thousands, of companies that actively recruit MBAs each with a different approach and philosophy. Generally speaking though, some industries (banking/PE/VC, consulting especially) do care very much about the name on the diploma and the top firms in those industries will likely only accept hires from specific schools. Beyond those industries, most companies have a target list of schools that they focus on recruiting from. That's not to say that they don't hire people from "non-target" schools, but those candidates are going to have to work a little harder to get themselves in front of a recruiter for consideration. Also, target schools tend to have a broader alumni network within the company, which current students can lean on for help throughout the process.

A good way to think about the MBA brand is that companies can use it to outsource initial applicant screening. If they're interviewing a candidate from a top 5/top 15/top 30 school, especially a school that they work with consistently, they already know that the candidate has met certain requirements from an academic and professional standpoint just to get in to the school.

In my experience (on the employer side in my before-school job and as a candidate), the accreditation of the school did not matter as much as the school's reputation itself, although for non-ranked schools an accreditation such as AACSB may provide some differentiation from non-AACSB schools.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Advice From Hiring Professionals   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2011, 05:02