Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice greatly appreciated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice greatly appreciated [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2004, 17:55
I started studying for the GMAT 2 months ago. I've been going through the OG and PR workbooks. My verbal is at best average but I feel like with practice, I can get that up a bit. I'm really concerned about quant. though. I feel like I'm lacking basic math skills and I'm really not doing well at all. I'm not even talking about working under timed conditions. My progress is painfully slow and there is just no way I'll be ready for my test on January 7th. I'll get killed. Can anyone suggest a good resource for quant? Does anyone know about the Kaplan workbook? Princeton review? I'm scheduled to start taking the PR course next week but I'm starting to think I should cancel because it's pointless if i dont know the basics. Any advice?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2004, 18:20
coltrane, you could have done many problems but did you REALLY analyze the problems and know why you got each one right AND wrong? It will be difficult for us to help you any further if you do not tell us more about your study approach and progress up until now.

As a first step, did you ever take any practice test like the Kaplan CD diagnostic? To learn the basics, I would recommend to start with PR math workbook and then move on to Kaplan800 book. OG is good only for the last 100 DS questions which may be overly difficult though. The math forums on this site have a wealth of resource and will help you with the fundamentals. Maybe you should go through the category based forum and start with the "basic" forum first and slowly progress towards the "intermediate" and then "advanced" categories.

I would suggest you postpone your exam if you can. There is just no point in doing something you're not ready to do. I will give you this link which may help you as a guideline: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11176

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2004, 19:13
Paul,

Thank you for your response and congratulations on your score.

With regards to quant, my approach has been to expose myself to as many different problems as possible. At the same time, I've really be trying to understand the concepts, as you mentioned. I haven't tested myself because I'm simply not ready. My PR course starts next week and I was going to use their tests to gauge my progress. I study around 3 hours during the week, except Friday and another 8-10 on the weekends so i have the dedication. I think your advise about postponing is good. I will definately need more time.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2004, 19:17
Hi,

If your standing is left of the center of the distribution, the DS questions that appear in the OG should suffice (at least for now). To improve within the left tail, one really needs to stress getting problems correct rather than worrying about more complicated problems.

Hjort
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2004, 20:29
If you feel you're lacking basic math skills, it's smart of you to want to do some preparation before beginning your TPR course. I am a TPR GMAT instructor and I can tell you that the class moves at a brisk pace, especially the quant portion.

The best advice is that you talk with your TPR instructor at the very first class and let him/her know where you stand quant-wise. I also suggest that you pick up a copy of TPR's MathSmart book (your teacher might have a copy you can borrow). MathSmart is a great book that will help you with the basics, such as operations with fractions, algebra, translating problem solving questions into math, etc. Also, spend as much time as you need on the first two prework assignments. These prework assignments review math definitions and basic algebra and you will need to understand these topics in order to properly use the techniques you will learn.

Also, consider signing up for a class or two at a community college. It can help you on the GMAT and you will need some review before you start b-school anyway.
  [#permalink] 20 Nov 2004, 20:29