Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 07:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700 (Q 50, V 35) advice needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

700 (Q 50, V 35) advice needed [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 01:14
Hi guys

Just took the GMAT today scored 700 (Q 50, V 35 :( )

I was planning to apply to ISB in round one and was banking upon a better than average GMAT score....But now feeling screwed...i had put more than 80% of my effort to prepare verbal part.

My profile
Graduation: Engineering (IT) with honours and certificate of merit.
2 yrs(till date) IT exp in big MNC, handle account for my project individually.

Is there still a chance for me?
Any advice is welcome on how to make my application still stand out among the applicants.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: 700 (Q 50, V 35) advice needed [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 01:47
I am no expert here but I attended the ISB Information Session last month. Last year they admitted a guy with 600. Now what was that guys profile, work ex, other factors etc. etc....there is no end to it. There are all kinds of examples. Ones who have got rejected at 770 and the ones in at 600. So you definitely have a chance.

To be honest I get surprised by tons of people here who score a 700, 720, 740 and think they did not do well and ask whether they should retake or not. It totally psyches me out. I mean come on guys things for you at a 700 wont change with a 710, 720 or maybe even 770.

You have a great score and should be happy about it and you should start concentrating on your apps. Try to distinguish yourself as much as possible from the IT crowd.

All the best.

aditya27 wrote:
Hi guys

Just took the GMAT today scored 700 (Q 50, V 35 :( )

I was planning to apply to ISB in round one and was banking upon a better than average GMAT score....But now feeling screwed...i had put more than 80% of my effort to prepare verbal part.

My profile
Graduation: Engineering (IT) with honours and certificate of merit.
2 yrs(till date) IT exp in big MNC, handle account for my project individually.

Is there still a chance for me?
Any advice is welcome on how to make my application still stand out among the applicants.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Schools: Duke - Fuqua
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: 700 (Q 50, V 35) advice needed [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 08:16
I completely agree with vibarora on this. I think it's crazy how disappointed some users are with scores that are still in the 700s. From just about every source I've read, including admins, once you hit the 90%+ mark, start concentrating on other factors of your application. Don't lose sight of the fact that the GMAT is just ONE of the factors of your application.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 700 (Q 50, V 35) advice needed [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 12:46
Good score man.

I am going to take a different view, so here is the deal. If you sincerely think that you can stretch this 700 to 730 in the next 4 weeks i would say go ahead and give it a shot. By this i mean is that you are ready to follow a different strategy and get a higher verbal score and have some idea around what went wrong. Could be many things biggest of them are fatigue and lack of concentration.

700-710 i dont see much changing for you so 730/730+ is must if you are giving another shot. What was your verbal score in the practice tests??

at 700 with 2 years of experience you are already below the average at ISB in every way possible(the IT profile being the final nail in the coffin).

So i would say give it another shot and apply R2, much better chance to go in with a higher score that applying early. I say by experience was rejected by ISB at 690(feedback categorically mentioned low GMAT score!).

So unless you can pull up a wild card in ur essays and come up with something that differentiates you from the rest of the world chances of a IV call are low.

Good Luck!

Run towards the things that make you uncomfortable daily. The greatest risk is not taking risks
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-690-to-730-q50-v38-97356.html

Re: 700 (Q 50, V 35) advice needed   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2010, 12:46