Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice needed [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 09:51
Hi everyone!

I would really appreciate if you could share your advices and opinion with me.

I took my first gmat test in December and scored 650 (42 verbal, 36 quant). I decided to take it again in january and worked for 3 weeks, approximatively 3 hours a day. I focused on quant and went through every exercise of the OG guide and spent some time reviewing my mistakes.

I was very disappointed to score a 660 the second time, especially since my quant score did not even improve at all (44 verbal, 36 quant). The day before, I had scored 700 with Manhattan gmat CAT (with 41 in quant).

I want to pass the test for a third time in March and I really want to score at least 700. I am not sure how to go about my study plan from there. I feel like I am familiar with most of the material, although i should probably review some rules I still do not fully master.

What would you suggest me to do? Is there any website or study material you can recommend? (I went through the material with manhanttan gmat guides and practiced with OG, OG Quant and OG Verbal. I also recently discovered Grockit). Is there anything that really helped you to increase your quant score?

I am not too worried about verbal, as i always score in the 90 to 97th percentile but i really need to improve my math skills.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh Co-Founder
Schools: UC Berkeley (Haas) - Class of 2010
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

Re: Advice needed [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 10:17
Expert's post
Hi cityscape,

Great to hear that you've already been focusing on the OG and MGMAT, those are some of the best resources! And based on your story a 700+ score seems well within reach. You could try a study approach that uses video instead of text for lessons and explanations. Some learn better with an audio-visual experience. And with pre-recorded videos, unlike a classroom, you can pause and rewind to review concepts you'd like to revisit.

Here's an example of some of the math video lessons that we (Magoosh) offer, try them out and see if this approach suits you better:
Arithmetic - Working with Percents
Fundamental Counting Principle
Circle Properties

And here's a complete list of all the video lessons we offer, there are about 150 math video lessons:

And there are also questions that tie to each of these concepts, each with their own short videos such as this one:
Triangle in a Circle

I hope that helps!
Bhavin

Bhavin Parikh
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4454 [0], given: 162

Re: Advice needed [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 08:45
Expert's post
cityscape wrote:
Hi everyone!

I would really appreciate if you could share your advices and opinion with me.

I took my first gmat test in December and scored 650 (42 verbal, 36 quant). I decided to take it again in january and worked for 3 weeks, approximatively 3 hours a day. I focused on quant and went through every exercise of the OG guide and spent some time reviewing my mistakes.

I was very disappointed to score a 660 the second time, especially since my quant score did not even improve at all (44 verbal, 36 quant). The day before, I had scored 700 with Manhattan gmat CAT (with 41 in quant).

I want to pass the test for a third time in March and I really want to score at least 700. I am not sure how to go about my study plan from there. I feel like I am familiar with most of the material, although i should probably review some rules I still do not fully master.

What would you suggest me to do? Is there any website or study material you can recommend? (I went through the material with manhanttan gmat guides and practiced with OG, OG Quant and OG Verbal. I also recently discovered Grockit). Is there anything that really helped you to increase your quant score?

I am not too worried about verbal, as i always score in the 90 to 97th percentile but i really need to improve my math skills.

Thanks in advance for your help!

If you are at 36 in Quant, there are some gaps in some areas conceptually. Figure those out using some simulators. It will do you a world of good if you do some focused study in those particular areas e.g. if you find you are making mistakes in number properties, get a GMAT focused Arithmetic book and go through the concepts properly. Thereafter, practice lots of questions based on these concepts and ensure that you understand how to solve each one of them properly. This itself should bring you up to the 42-43 range. Thereafter, practicing lots of higher level questions will show you how to apply these concepts in more convoluted questions (you can check out Advanced Problem Solving book of Veritas for higher level Quant questions).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Advice needed [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 09:24
Hi Magoosh and Karishma,

Thanks for your help. I will definitely go through the theory again and work on some advanced problems.
Karishma could you tell me more about the simulators you talk about?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4454 [0], given: 162

Re: Advice needed [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 09:32
Expert's post
cityscape wrote:
Hi Magoosh and Karishma,

Thanks for your help. I will definitely go through the theory again and work on some advanced problems.
Karishma could you tell me more about the simulators you talk about?

mba.com has 2 GMAT prep tests which simulate the actual test. If you would rather like to keep those for later use, you can use simulators provided by prep providers. Almost all prep providers give you one free test which you can take in timed conditions and then review to figure out your weaknesses. Veritas gives you 5 free tests when you buy any one Veritas book from our website.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Advice needed   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2012, 09:32