Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice Needed: 1st Practice GMAT 410...Is There Hope?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice Needed: 1st Practice GMAT 410...Is There Hope? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 09:56
Hi All!

So, I've finally started my GMAT study "journey". I just took my first full length GMAT just to see where I was at, and was kind of suprised to see that I scored a 410. However, I am not freaking out or anything because I plan to take the actual GMAT at the towards the end of May. But is there any hope of reaching a 700 or above by then??

I plan on taking Manhattan GMAT in March, which ends right before the test in May. But until then I study approximate 3hrs per day 6 days a week (I work full time). I am currently using PTR's Cracking the GMAT for general strategies and math and verbal refreshers. I also have the official GMAT Review 11ed (I think I get 12ed included when taking MGMAT, if not let me know), for reviewing questions. I also plan on taking a full length version every week until the course starts, and will be tracking my performane on a weekly basis. It is also to increase my comfort level and confidence with the test.

Overall, I know I have a long way to go, so any advice is welcomed and appreciated. I ask the question again... is there any hope of reaching a 700 or above by May?

Thanks in advance, :-D

raceACE
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Advice Needed: 1st Practice GMAT 410...Is There Hope? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 15:06
i think that given your time frame, you can significantly improve your score. definitely focus on the basics before taking any more practice tests. did you run out of time during your full length test? leaving any questions unanswered will affect your score in a huge way.

also, read through this thread - you might get some pointers from the various comments there: my-gmat-journey-from-490-to-700-q49-v36-62535.html

GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern

Re: Advice Needed: 1st Practice GMAT 410...Is There Hope? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 17:02
Thanks for the advice... Just to clarify, the 410 was from a practice GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Advice Needed: 1st Practice GMAT 410...Is There Hope? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 20:56
if you are consistent with your study schedule, you should be able to score more than 700 considering the time frame.

Regards
Ganesh
Class of 2012
Great Lakes Institute of Management
http://greatlakes.edu.in

Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1990

Kudos [?]: 6440 [0], given: 3569

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Advice Needed: 1st Practice GMAT 410...Is There Hope? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 14:41
Expert's post
I was at 540 and went to 750.
It depends on your persistence and your split. Definitely a long haul - there is hope but only with VERY hard work. 300 point improvement takes a lot of review.

If I were you, and were taking MGMAT Course, I would start right now with pre-course materials and not touch the Official Guide. Get the MGMAT Foundations of Math and Kaplan Verbal Foundations (MGMAT does not have a verbal equivalent). Don't invest too much time into the cracking book.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Re: Advice Needed: 1st Practice GMAT 410...Is There Hope? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 18:29
Hey this is great, thanks for the advice.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 43

Re: Advice Needed: 1st Practice GMAT 410...Is There Hope? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 19:52
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
I was at 540 and went to 750.
It depends on your persistence and your split. Definitely a long haul - there is hope but only with VERY hard work. 300 point improvement takes a lot of review.

If I were you, and were taking MGMAT Course, I would start right now with pre-course materials and not touch the Official Guide. Get the MGMAT Foundations of Math and Kaplan Verbal Foundations (MGMAT does not have a verbal equivalent). Don't invest too much time into the cracking book.

So you went from a 540 to a 750, how did you do it. What your your daily schedule like? Was it -50 PS Questions -50 DS Questions, -50 CR Questions, What was your weekly regimen before taking the practice exams?
Naturally, going over all the concepts is one thing, but then waiting starting on the OG questions is another, most of the material/concepts, are not spilled immediately into the questions, so how did you deal with the concepts & getting over the 600 score? How often did you test? How many practice test did it take before getting to 750?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Advice Needed: 1st Practice GMAT 410...Is There Hope? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 10:08
I definitely agree with BB on the persistence part! It really depends on how desperately you want a good score. All the best!:)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 43

Re: Advice Needed: 1st Practice GMAT 410...Is There Hope? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 14:12
jcjy1984 wrote:
I definitely agree with BB on the persistence part! It really depends on how desperately you want a good score. All the best!:)

You see, these are the kinds of things that drive me sick about this website, persistence, okay, translate that into strategy. This brings me back to my main point,
most people here, will say the same thing, hard-work, persistence, okay, fine, I get it, and most of us get it, translate persistence into strategy, if not you, someone else.

These websites are to help, encourage, and lead others into achieving a higher gmat score, or a satisfied score. Most people want a top score, are they willing to put the hours, and tedious reviews,
maybe not, let alone try to figure out a strategy by themselves.

Help by really helping, not just by sugarcoating the tip of the iceberg.
Re: Advice Needed: 1st Practice GMAT 410...Is There Hope?   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2012, 14:12