Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

advice needed (Aim: 560>720+ in 2 months)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

advice needed (Aim: 560>720+ in 2 months) [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone,

I just had my GMAT Test this afternoon and I got only 560 in total (Q41 V26). I am so disappointed.
However, I am aiming to improve my score to 720+ in two months and I seriously need help from you guys. And I am going to list out what I did in the past few weeks so that you guys can help to assess what did I do wrong and how I can improve.

Books used:

Princeton Review, Cracking the New GMAT - I studied the entire book, and did all the questions. But I heard that it is not as helpful as it looks, any thoughts?
GMAT Official Guide 2013 - One question here, what is the differences between the full OG and the V&Q OG combined?

What I did in the past few weeks:

I studied the Princeton Review book (my 1st mistake, should have visited this forum for best GMAT books before buying them), get familiarized with all the concepts in the book. Did around 500 questions from the official guide. Did one of the Princeton review test and got 590 ( Q41 V31), I figured out that the quantitative questions in the test were relatively easy , therefore I switched to the official retired questions and did a few analytical writing exercises from GMAT write.

Conclusion:

-I relied heavily on the Princeton Review Book and underestimated the test.
-When I did some questions in a wrong way, I basically memorized how I got wrong on that question. I know this is not the way to learn but what should I do about it?

On the test day

Honestly, I was so nervous as it was my first time taking this important test. I felt quite confident that I can get 35+ for verbal but it turned out to be 26, so disappointed.

After thoughts

I know I should definitely improve my verbal score ( at least to 42+) in order to get 700+ in total, so I will work on verbal questions.
On the other hand, I feel difficult to push my quantitative score further ( my average Q score is 41) and I don't know what has to be done to get a higher score ( 48+) as I start to be confused when I reach certain level of difficulty. Any suggestions of how to improve my Q score?

Ways that I can think of to improve

I am considering to take a complete online GMAT prep course and I have to choose between Manhattan and Veritas .
-Which one do you think is more suitable for my case and aims?
-Are online courses useful?

Thank you for reading such a long passage. Any comment would be greatly appreciated.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3787 [0], given: 148

Re: advice needed (Aim: 560>720+ in 2 months) [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 20:27
Expert's post
needimprovementgmat wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just had my GMAT Test this afternoon and I got only 560 in total (Q41 V26). I am so disappointed.
However, I am aiming to improve my score to 720+ in two months and I seriously need help from you guys. And I am going to list out what I did in the past few weeks so that you guys can help to assess what did I do wrong and how I can improve.

Books used:

Princeton Review, Cracking the New GMAT - I studied the entire book, and did all the questions. But I heard that it is not as helpful as it looks, any thoughts?
GMAT Official Guide 2013 - One question here, what is the differences between the full OG and the V&Q OG combined?

I studied the Princeton Review book (my 1st mistake, should have visited this forum for best GMAT books before buying them), get familiarized with all the concepts in the book. Did around 500 questions from the official guide. Did one of the Princeton review test and got 590 ( Q41 V31), I figured out that the quantitative questions in the test were relatively easy , therefore I switched to the official retired questions and did a few analytical writing exercises from GMAT write.

Conclusion:

-When I did some questions in a wrong way, I basically memorized how I got wrong on that question. I know this is not the way to learn but what should I do about it?

On the test day

Honestly, I was so nervous as it was my first time taking this important test. I felt quite confident that I can get 35+ for verbal but it turned out to be 26, so disappointed.

After thoughts

I know I should definitely improve my verbal score ( at least to 42+) in order to get 700+ in total, so I will work on verbal questions.
On the other hand, I feel difficult to push my quantitative score further ( my average Q score is 41) and I don't know what has to be done to get a higher score ( 48+) as I start to be confused when I reach certain level of difficulty. Any suggestions of how to improve my Q score?

I am considering to take a complete online GMAT prep course and I have to choose between Manhattan and Veritas .

Thank you for reading such a long passage. Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, 560 to 720+ is certainly do-able; it just needs your time and effort.

I think all aside, your biggest mistake was memorizing. There is very little place for memorizing in GMAT. GMAT tests your logic and reasoning - in Quant as well as in Verbal. So you must understand every concept very properly. Focus on 'why'. Why is this concept applied in such questions, why is this method used to solve, what happens when we change this to that, why does it happen etc.

Considering that you got Q41, I would say your basic concepts are in place in Quant. You need to focus on more advanced applications of these concepts. I would suggest you to take a look at my blog which discusses most of the advanced Quant topics and a bit of Verbal. It is meant for people like you - those who know their basics but need to strengthen their understanding and ability to apply.
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/categor ... er-wisdom/

As for online courses, they simulate in class experience. There will be a live session where the instructor as well as the students will be able to address each other. Plus any doubts can be typed in a window too while the class is going on. It's not very different from an in person class especially for your tech savvy generation.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Stern '16
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: advice needed (Aim: 560>720+ in 2 months) [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 21:29
I am having the same story buddy. I wrote GMAT in month of may and scored 530 (Q 45 V19). I was also very nervous on the test day and followed the book, beat the GMAT.

Lesson Learnt:

1. I was constantly scoring 46-47 in Quant, then I took Manhatten prep guides and studied that. Those are amazing books if we speak about the contents but my mistakes was I just over-viewed it. This time I am planning to study them in details.

2. For verbal my I have completed manhatten SC and Grail. Good books but my scores are not moving. So I have decided to spend more time in reviewing the mistakes(which I never or hardly did during my last preparation.)

Don't miss:
1. Making error logs
2. Watch all videos of Thursday's with Ron. Those are really great.

I am also planning one more attempt in next two months. I hope we both will rock the score. All the very best.

All the time I have learnt , there is no escape to hard-work.
Intern
Intern
Status: I will not let the numbers undermine me! GMAT... See you again soon! And this time, i will come with a BANG!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: advice needed (Aim: 560>720+ in 2 months) [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 22:45
Same here! I scored a 580 (Q:44, V:25) few days back and got highly demoralized. I spent around 16 hours a day for 15 days to prepare for the test and ended up almost nowhere! The score is hardly better than the first diagnostic test i took! :( Learning: A few days preparation (compared to people who toil for years together) doesn't help in GMAT. What i want to know in specific is: If this did not help, what will!?

As to what i did in the 15 days preparation: GMAT CLUB MATH BOOK (for brushing up quant concepts), OG 13, KAPLAN Test series and GMAT Prep series. I found Kaplan Tests to be tough, very tough actually. It exhausted me with the quant questions so much that by the end of the section, i was tired and gave the verbal just for the name sake. It would be wrong to say GMAT Prep doesn't help. But, i have some doubts about it. When i gave it for the first time, I scored a 630. Later on, my second attempt gave me a 660. I read it on quiet a few blogs that we can reset and take it more than twice. I did so and scored a 700, 750 on both the occasions. Now, i surely knew that it was because of the repeat questions that the score shot up so much, but, what i was not able to analyse is how much effect the repeat questions had. I went in with quiet a lot of confidence, took more than average time for the first 20 questions in quant and completed the section without thinking about how i was doing. I wanted to relax as i was skeptic about the next 75 minutes of verbal.

For verbal, i must confess, i did not brush up my basics. I believed that I had a good hand at the language and so, somehow i became careless about this section. I realized it late in my 15 days preparation that this is going to cause a lot of trouble for me, but i decided to go with the most logical bet. Bad decision and i am completely doomed now!

I am worried about where to start from! :? I like CR and i do not think of it as a trouble. What gives me nightmares is "SC". I was so cool with grammar when i started, i thought of the answers as obvious! The first 50 something of OG were a cake walk. But, i realized i was so so wrong. This section can be so tricky. My hit rate dropped to 4/10 in later stages and confused me completely on whatever little i knew. I hate learning the rules ( i just cant remember them all)! It completely turns me off and i am lost as to what would help me on that section. RC takes time and the hit rate sucks as well! It makes me more and more nervous when i see the clock ticking. I have ordered for Manhattan SC Guide, with 6/8 online tests. But, i need help on whether there is any logical way to deal with SC and RC other than going through all the rules and praying that the in the exam i am able to look at the question and say: Hey! The rule XYZ fits in here! Good books, reference guides, videos? I have exhausted the tests, and since i reviewed my tests with attention, repeat questions raise my score. What tests do i take going further? Anything that you think will help my case in specific!?

I am so sorry for writing so much when i could have wrapped it up in a sentence: Need help on SC and RC. I just thought some specifics would help you guide me better. And, frankly, it helps venting out all the frustration as well :oops: ! I have my feet completely on the ground. I am not targeting to cross 720 and all. I just want a decent 650 +- 20, to apply to decent schools.

No, I am not giving up so soon, but with the deadlines fast approaching, all i have is a month's time to wrap this up. Please help me prepare a plan!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: advice needed (Aim: 560>720+ in 2 months) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 00:15
ankitac wrote:
Same here! I scored a 580 (Q:44, V:25) few days back and got highly demoralized. I spent around 16 hours a day for 15 days to prepare for the test and ended up almost nowhere! The score is hardly better than the first diagnostic test i took! :( Learning: A few days preparation (compared to people who toil for years together) doesn't help in GMAT. What i want to know in specific is: If this did not help, what will!?

As to what i did in the 15 days preparation: GMAT CLUB MATH BOOK (for brushing up quant concepts), OG 13, KAPLAN Test series and GMAT Prep series. I found Kaplan Tests to be tough, very tough actually. It exhausted me with the quant questions so much that by the end of the section, i was tired and gave the verbal just for the name sake. It would be wrong to say GMAT Prep doesn't help. But, i have some doubts about it. When i gave it for the first time, I scored a 630. Later on, my second attempt gave me a 660. I read it on quiet a few blogs that we can reset and take it more than twice. I did so and scored a 700, 750 on both the occasions. Now, i surely knew that it was because of the repeat questions that the score shot up so much, but, what i was not able to analyse is how much effect the repeat questions had. I went in with quiet a lot of confidence, took more than average time for the first 20 questions in quant and completed the section without thinking about how i was doing. I wanted to relax as i was skeptic about the next 75 minutes of verbal.

For verbal, i must confess, i did not brush up my basics. I believed that I had a good hand at the language and so, somehow i became careless about this section. I realized it late in my 15 days preparation that this is going to cause a lot of trouble for me, but i decided to go with the most logical bet. Bad decision and i am completely doomed now!

I am worried about where to start from! :? I like CR and i do not think of it as a trouble. What gives me nightmares is "SC". I was so cool with grammar when i started, i thought of the answers as obvious! The first 50 something of OG were a cake walk. But, i realized i was so so wrong. This section can be so tricky. My hit rate dropped to 4/10 in later stages and confused me completely on whatever little i knew. I hate learning the rules ( i just cant remember them all)! It completely turns me off and i am lost as to what would help me on that section. RC takes time and the hit rate sucks as well! It makes me more and more nervous when i see the clock ticking. I have ordered for Manhattan SC Guide, with 6/8 online tests. But, i need help on whether there is any logical way to deal with SC and RC other than going through all the rules and praying that the in the exam i am able to look at the question and say: Hey! The rule XYZ fits in here! Good books, reference guides, videos? I have exhausted the tests, and since i reviewed my tests with attention, repeat questions raise my score. What tests do i take going further? Anything that you think will help my case in specific!?

I am so sorry for writing so much when i could have wrapped it up in a sentence: Need help on SC and RC. I just thought some specifics would help you guide me better. And, frankly, it helps venting out all the frustration as well :oops: ! I have my feet completely on the ground. I am not targeting to cross 720 and all. I just want a decent 650 +- 20, to apply to decent schools.

No, I am not giving up so soon, but with the deadlines fast approaching, all i have is a month's time to wrap this up. Please help me prepare a plan!

I guess we all are on the same page as far as GMAT scores are concerned. I gave GMAT in March did not take any prep Classes and scored a disappointing 580 (Q 47 V 24) .

I prepared on and off for 4 -5 months and was kind of over confident in Verbal and faced the reality in real GMAT was scoring in 650+ range in all the mocks I gave. But the Real GMAT has hit my confidence so much that I took almost three months to gather up courage to start the studies again. I dont want to give up so easily. But with Deadlines (15th Sept - ISB) approaching so soon and with job its getting more n more difficult scenario for me.

Books I Am reading : -

CR :- Powerscore Bible CR
SC : - Manhattan SC and Aristotle SC Grail
RC :- RC 99

I am just working on my verbal right now, May be after I am done with OG -12 and OG -13 for second time then I will move on to Quant to take it to 49 somehow..

I dont know I will succeed or not I just want to give my best . But verbal is not helping at all.

I hope We all hit our target scores and target school admits soon

You can reach me @ abhinav.s0204@gmail.com - we 2 r 3 guys try to meet online once in a week to discuss the issues we are facing in prep right now.

Regards,
Abhinav

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: advice needed (Aim: 560>720+ in 2 months) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 01:07
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Hi everyone,

Books used:

Conclusion:

On the test day

After thoughts

First of all, 560 to 720+ is certainly do-able; it just needs your time and effort.

I think all aside, your biggest mistake was memorizing. There is very little place for memorizing in GMAT. GMAT tests your logic and reasoning - in Quant as well as in Verbal. So you must understand every concept very properly. Focus on 'why'. Why is this concept applied in such questions, why is this method used to solve, what happens when we change this to that, why does it happen etc.

Considering that you got Q41, I would say your basic concepts are in place in Quant. You need to focus on more advanced applications of these concepts. I would suggest you to take a look at my blog which discusses most of the advanced Quant topics and a bit of Verbal. It is meant for people like you - those who know their basics but need to strengthen their understanding and ability to apply.

As for online courses, they simulate in class experience. There will be a live session where the instructor as well as the students will be able to address each other. Plus any doubts can be typed in a window too while the class is going on. It's not very different from an in person class especially for your tech savvy generation.

Hi Karishma,

Thank you for replying :-D

I have one more question for you.

If I take the online course and assume I follow all the instructions, will I be ready to take the actual test right after the course ends (Veritas courses last for a month) or do I need an extra month to prepare and work on the questions?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: advice needed (Aim: 560>720+ in 2 months) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 06:14
Hi guys,

Can you tell me the differences between Manhattan Online course and Veritas Online course?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3787 [0], given: 148

Re: advice needed (Aim: 560>720+ in 2 months) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 19:24
Expert's post
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Hi everyone,

Books used:

Conclusion:

On the test day

After thoughts

Hi Karishma,

Thank you for replying :-D

I have one more question for you.

If I take the online course and assume I follow all the instructions, will I be ready to take the actual test right after the course ends (Veritas courses last for a month) or do I need an extra month to prepare and work on the questions?

Typically a course lasts 6 weeks. We suggest you to schedule your GMAT within a month of the end of the course. It depends on the time you can devote to studying and your comfort whether you want to schedule the test immediately after the course or wait for a month. Say, if you work religiously during the course, go through all the books, practice problems, simulated CATs etc, you may be ready to take the test within a week of the completion of the course. If you are unable to put in enough time during the course, you might need 2-3 more weeks to catch up. Either way, you may not want to delay taking the test by more than a month.

Check here for more details:
http://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: advice needed (Aim: 560>720+ in 2 months)   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2013, 19:24