Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice Needed - Can't make a decision - JD, CPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Advice Needed - Can't make a decision - JD, CPA [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 07:05
Hi All,

Ok I'll try to make this brief. I'm 28 y/o male finishing up my b.s. in bus adm.

Unfortunately I feel like I'm wasting my time in my job. I'm in the Utilities industry.
Good part about that is that they have tuition reimbursement and no limit really on what to pursue (except medical deg's). I'm grateful for the opportunity that is provided to me, don't get me wrong.

I am stuck. I feel like I should be on my own running a practice. Either accounting or law. More specifically accounting - would be tax concentrated only (but I will go the extra step and obtain my CPA). Tax strategy for business, wills & estates, retirement planning, tax returns and representation to IRS.
If I go in the direction of JD I would solely concentrate on wills & estates & real estate closings and anyting tax related encompassing those two.
I feel like I can do more with a CPA but my friends & colleagues (who are mostly attorneys) tell me I'm better of with a JD because I'd come off more qualified? Whatever that means. It's the same coursework to me as I'd be focusing most of my electives on tax.

Yes my job is secure and I'm grateful for it, but if I could figure out which route is best for me from the above two options I'd gladly give up my safe employment to venture out on my own and have my own business and yes I know it's not always glamorous but I'd rather be my own boss and deal with the ups and downs than work for a company. Just my preference.

Anyone that does anything remotely close or have any insight or advice PLEASE feel free to comment.

Thanks in Advance
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 10

Re: Advice Needed - Can't make a decision - JD, CPA [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 09:08
This post received
KUDOS
Check your tuition reimbursement policy. Most do not cover law school.

In terms of CPA vs JD... what would you rather do? Draft the documents or prepare the returns?

Last, in order to own a public practice one MUST be a licensed CPA.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 02-11-2012
GPA: 3.51
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: Advice Needed - Can't make a decision - JD, CPA [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 11:38
I can tell you from experience that having both a JD/CPA is the deadliest combination for starting your own Co. Firms drool over them and if starting your own firm is what you want then you can do this after you have gotten a good reputation and good client base. I am currently an attorney and people ask me all the time, should I go to law school? My answer is no, unless you are going to be a tax attorney or patent attorney or unless you really love litigating (It gets old quick).

In short, if you feel like your CPA will get you what you want, don't do law school. You really don't learn a whole lot in three long years. If you do want to come off more qualified (they say this because clients will trust an attorney over a regular CPA, I know from experience and you are able to offer more services) and have the and time money, then get your JD and still get your CPA.
Re: Advice Needed - Can't make a decision - JD, CPA   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2012, 11:38