Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice needed for NYC MBA hopeful, struggling with Quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Advice needed for NYC MBA hopeful, struggling with Quant [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 10:34
I am new to GMATClub and would appreciate expert/community help on evaluating my profile as it currently stands. I have been reading others experiences on the forum and have found it to be very helpful and encouraging so thought I would finally take a chance and post!

My goal is to pursue my MBA part-time starting Fall 2014 in the NYC Area. I am currently working in downtown NYC at a Beauty company in the Marketing department. I have been working there for 3+ years post undergrad and have received one promotion there (and I am confident that my next promotion is coming in August, as that is our company's review/promotion time).

So why Part-time you ask?
1.) Financial reasons - I simply cannot afford to take off of work to go to school full-time, with the high cost of living in NYC.
2.) Career reasons- I am not looking to change careers and am looking to go back to school to help further my current career in Marketing.

So a little more about me...
Female, 25 years old, Caucasian
Undergrad: Fashion Institute of Technology / BS in Advertising & Marketing Communications /3.3 GPA

Good but not great GPA. I know FIT is no Harvard but its a good school in terms of NY State schools and offers a very focused program and solid "real world" prep. I completed several internships during college with my senior internship landing me a job immediately post-grad. Basically, I feel like I have been living/working in NYC for 8 years. I have been VERY lucky to have met and worked for amazing people in the industry that have become my mentors and have given me a lot of responsibility in the workplace. I feel that this will help my application and recommendation letters.

I am confident in my work experience (although it is only ~3 years), volunteer/extracurriculars, reco letters, essays but what worries me is the GMAT Quant. Basically, I was never strong in HS Math to begin with and the GMAT is all about HS Math which is a problem for me. The good news is my boyfriend (who I live with) is a HS Math teacher (Free tutoring!) which has been a huge help. We are currently working out a tutoring schedule so he can help me. I am also enrolled in a MGMAT 9-week prep course which has been a HUGE help. Is there anything else that can help my Quant score???

Now for the not so great news... I took my 1st practice exam after week 6 of my course and scored a measly 470. For my target programs, I NEED to score at least a 550, which I think can be attainable if I keep studying post-MGMAT course, being tutored and taking more practice tests. I am worried because of my weak Quant abilities and have had reoccurring day dreams of being at the test center and totally blanking and having to not record my scores and blowing it. Based on this I am trying to decide when I should take the test, allowing me to have enough time to re-take it.

Target schools
-St Johns
-CUNY Baruch
-Fordham (I would need to score higher)
-NYU Langone Part Time (I would DEFINITELY need to score higher) This is my *REACH* school but is my absolute dream program due to the unique specializations offered

I have also toyed around with doing an international 1-year MBA program (so I can finish quicker/gain int'l exp.), and will decide on this based on my GMAT score since most are rolling admissions.

Any advice would be SO helpful! :)

Thanks all!
Christina
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 6

Re: Advice needed for NYC MBA hopeful, struggling with Quant [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 07:15
Hi Christina,

There are a couple of options for you in and around NYC. GMAT is necessary for even Part time MBA but for almost all the schools, but they relax on the avg GMAT score.

Application essays plays an important role here, which will help you showcase your profile and your need for an MBA.

You can find more details on http://goo.gl/fcyy2h and reach out if you need further help.

Cheers!!!
Neha

cfnyc722 wrote:
I am new to GMATClub and would appreciate expert/community help on evaluating my profile as it currently stands. I have been reading others experiences on the forum and have found it to be very helpful and encouraging so thought I would finally take a chance and post!

My goal is to pursue my MBA part-time starting Fall 2014 in the NYC Area. I am currently working in downtown NYC at a Beauty company in the Marketing department. I have been working there for 3+ years post undergrad and have received one promotion there (and I am confident that my next promotion is coming in August, as that is our company's review/promotion time).

1.) Financial reasons - I simply cannot afford to take off of work to go to school full-time, with the high cost of living in NYC.
2.) Career reasons- I am not looking to change careers and am looking to go back to school to help further my current career in Marketing.

Undergrad: Fashion Institute of Technology / BS in Advertising & Marketing Communications /3.3 GPA

Good but not great GPA. I know FIT is no Harvard but its a good school in terms of NY State schools and offers a very focused program and solid "real world" prep. I completed several internships during college with my senior internship landing me a job immediately post-grad. Basically, I feel like I have been living/working in NYC for 8 years. I have been VERY lucky to have met and worked for amazing people in the industry that have become my mentors and have given me a lot of responsibility in the workplace. I feel that this will help my application and recommendation letters.

I am confident in my work experience (although it is only ~3 years), volunteer/extracurriculars, reco letters, essays but what worries me is the GMAT Quant. Basically, I was never strong in HS Math to begin with and the GMAT is all about HS Math which is a problem for me. The good news is my boyfriend (who I live with) is a HS Math teacher (Free tutoring!) which has been a huge help. We are currently working out a tutoring schedule so he can help me. I am also enrolled in a MGMAT 9-week prep course which has been a HUGE help. Is there anything else that can help my Quant score???

Now for the not so great news... I took my 1st practice exam after week 6 of my course and scored a measly 470. For my target programs, I NEED to score at least a 550, which I think can be attainable if I keep studying post-MGMAT course, being tutored and taking more practice tests. I am worried because of my weak Quant abilities and have had reoccurring day dreams of being at the test center and totally blanking and having to not record my scores and blowing it. Based on this I am trying to decide when I should take the test, allowing me to have enough time to re-take it.

Target schools
-St Johns
-CUNY Baruch
-NYU Langone Part Time (I would DEFINITELY need to score higher) This is my *REACH* school but is my absolute dream program due to the unique specializations offered

I have also toyed around with doing an international 1-year MBA program (so I can finish quicker/gain int'l exp.), and will decide on this based on my GMAT score since most are rolling admissions.

Thanks all!
Christina

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern

Re: Advice needed for NYC MBA hopeful, struggling with Quant [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 08:42
Thank you for your response Neha!!! :)
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice needed for NYC MBA hopeful, struggling with Quant [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 00:14
Expert's post
cfnyc722 wrote:

Target schools
-St Johns
-CUNY Baruch

Thanks all!
Christina

Hey Christina,
Well, it seems like you are on the good path. So don't worry about that Quant too much yet. Just keep on working on it with your boyfriend, with books and tutorials and your score will go up. Maybe it will be harder and take longer, but that's okay… Just take your time doing what you are doing, and at the end you will for sure beat that 550, maybe even a lot higher. Lots of folks take the GMAT and don;t get the score they need until the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th time they retake, so I think that if you just keep on hacking away at it, you can get that score you need.

And you can worry about schools AFTER you get your score,
:)

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Advice needed for NYC MBA hopeful, struggling with Quant [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 06:34
Thank you JF!!!

It may take me longer to reach my goal but I am not giving up!

JonAdmissionado wrote:
cfnyc722 wrote:

Target schools
-St Johns
-CUNY Baruch

Thanks all!
Christina

Hey Christina,
Well, it seems like you are on the good path. So don't worry about that Quant too much yet. Just keep on working on it with your boyfriend, with books and tutorials and your score will go up. Maybe it will be harder and take longer, but that's okay… Just take your time doing what you are doing, and at the end you will for sure beat that 550, maybe even a lot higher. Lots of folks take the GMAT and don;t get the score they need until the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th time they retake, so I think that if you just keep on hacking away at it, you can get that score you need.

And you can worry about schools AFTER you get your score,
:)

Best,
JF
Re: Advice needed for NYC MBA hopeful, struggling with Quant   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2014, 06:34