Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 03:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice Needed- GMAT in 8 days, should I reschedule?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Advice Needed- GMAT in 8 days, should I reschedule? [#permalink] New post 24 May 2007, 19:14
Fellow Gmatclubbers,

Hope everyone's prep is going well... I have not really posted that much, but want to say thanks to everyone who contributes and gives moral advice and support, it's much appreciated :-D

Well, it's my turn to seek advice... My GMAT is in 8 days... June 2nd, to be exact.. I've been preparing on and off for about 6 months, finding it very difficult to focus and keep making silly mistakes... Due to family reasons, I have alot of pressure to do well (only male child,supporting elderly parents), and due to a very poor undergraduate record a long time ago, a strong GMAT is my only chance at redemption.. (I've also registered for Corporate Finance and Accounting this summer at the local Uni to build an alternate transcript)..

I have a good deal of life and business experience, it's just that the numbers (GMAT) don't show it.. I know if I push harder, focus more, I can succeed and achieve a 690-720... I see people here doing it through pure hard work and determination...

My dillema is this... At the moment, I'm scoring 610/590/580-ish on the GMAT PrepTests... 560 on the Kaplan (which we know is understated)... I"ve postponed the test twice already, to my own disappointment, and my parents... I don't want to postpone it again, but at the same time, if I have a mediocre score on record, it will dilute the value of a second stronger, score...

I look forward to your candid replies and outlooks.. Please pardon any misspellings... it's pretty late here, and I'm quite stressed out... Thanks in advance for everyone's opinion..

Best,

AK
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2007, 20:46
All I can say is that Gmatprep is usually a good predictor of actual performance. I would reschedule if I was trying to get a score more than 50 points apart from my latest Gmatprep.

On the disappointment, I don't know exactly what your family situation is, but if you intend to apply this year at the regular round 1 and round 2, then you still have plenty of time to take the GMAT and prepare applications even if you postpone a month or two. Try to focus and don't overemphasize the importance of GMAT or let outside influences get to you. Go for friends for support. I don't know whether the disappointment is in your mind or is actually stated by your family members, but that kind of pressure is usually not good help to get good results.

I also suggest not taking the GMAT until you are ready. At best, a bad score followed by a good score is neutral in the app. but bad to your morale. At worst, it could dillute the value of a better score.

Cheers. L.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 09:08
Lep,

Thanks for the heads up... I did alot of thinking last night and today... and you're assessment is pretty accurate... I'm going to push the date back a few months and prepare a lot harder...

Thanks again...

Cheers :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 09:58
good idea AK. you don't wanna go into a test doubting yourself from the start. once you get that confidence back up you'll be ready.
  [#permalink] 29 May 2007, 09:58