Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice needed: IE MBA vs LBS MiF

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS MIF '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Advice needed: IE MBA vs LBS MiF [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 09:38
Dear All,

I need to choose between an MBA from IE Madrid and a MiF from LBS. Could you please help me evaluate this dilemma?

Background: I come from Eastern Europe, has been working in investment management for 6 years. I already have an MSc in Finance from a reputed local university, have CFA and FRM designations.
Goal: move to Western Europe (UK, France, Switzerland) and basically do something very similar in a better paid, more interesting, more challenging job.

Pros of IE:
- a general, wider MBA program vs 'just' a MiF (even if it's a rare post-experience one)
- good exchange options in France and in the US
- good MBA ranking in Europe
- fellowship offered (additional opportunity to network via the finance department) (BTW, the amount of fellowship brings down the higher cost of IE MBA to that of LBS MiF)

Cons of IE:
- Spanish focus (I don't speak Spanish at all)
- not so strong in finance / IM / PE
- more difficult for my GF to find a job in country with 26% unemployment while I study (even if she speaks Spanish)
- Madrid is farther from major finance recruiting centers

Pros of LBS:
- very good reputation in finance
- close to recruiting companies in a finance hub
- a very focused degree (why study a lot of BS (general business) if my goal is to remain in IM?)
- easier for my GF to find a job in London

Cons of LBS:
- a very focused degree vs a general MBA
- less chance to move out of finance if things turn out to be even worse for the industry
- expensive location
- International exchange and internships are supported only in the 16 month program

I tried to sum up my considerations so now I would really appreciate your points/remarks as well!
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS MIF '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Advice needed: IE MBA vs LBS MiF [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 05:14
lbkova wrote:
Dear All,

I need to choose between an MBA from IE Madrid and a MiF from LBS. Could you please help me evaluate this dilemma?

Background: I come from Eastern Europe, has been working in investment management for 6 years. I already have an MSc in Finance from a reputed local university, have CFA and FRM designations.
Goal: move to Western Europe (UK, France, Switzerland) and basically do something very similar in a better paid, more interesting, more challenging job.

Pros of IE:
- a general, wider MBA program vs 'just' a MiF (even if it's a rare post-experience one)
- good exchange options in France and in the US
- good MBA ranking in Europe
- fellowship offered (additional opportunity to network via the finance department) (BTW, the amount of fellowship brings down the higher cost of IE MBA to that of LBS MiF)

Cons of IE:
- Spanish focus (I don't speak Spanish at all)
- not so strong in finance / IM / PE
- more difficult for my GF to find a job in country with 26% unemployment while I study (even if she speaks Spanish)
- Madrid is farther from major finance recruiting centers

Pros of LBS:
- very good reputation in finance
- close to recruiting companies in a finance hub
- a very focused degree (why study a lot of BS (general business) if my goal is to remain in IM?)
- easier for my GF to find a job in London

Cons of LBS:
- a very focused degree vs a general MBA
- less chance to move out of finance if things turn out to be even worse for the industry
- expensive location
- International exchange and internships are supported only in the 16 month program

I tried to sum up my considerations so now I would really appreciate your points/remarks as well!

Any suggestion from anybody??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: Advice needed: IE MBA vs LBS MiF [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 05:49
hmm.. u already have CFA+FRM and master in finance. Will another MiF add any value? or even an MBA if u are planning for fin roles.
I wonder what your definition of interesting is..if by interesting you mean more quantitative then you could try for some MFE programs.
Re: Advice needed: IE MBA vs LBS MiF   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 05:49