Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice needed! (MSF finance)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V45
GPA: 3.45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Advice needed! (MSF finance) [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 16:51
Was hoping someone could offer me some advice.

I'd like to enter a Masters in Finance program; whenever I search for programs, the craze seems to be all about getting into the most elite programs and the same 10 names appear over and over again. Yet, there are scores of Finance programs out there in the US and it's hard to find much useful information about all those programs that aren't among that small elite group.

I did undergrad in Chicago and would like to stay in that city for graduate school. So, I'm looking at several schools.
Loyola (MSF)
IIT (MSF)
DePaul (MSF)
University IL Chicago (MBA corporate finance)

1. Anyone have any opinions on these schools?
2. What would my job prospects be for schools like these?
3. What criterion are there to judge the quality of such programs? I mean, if the program is affiliated with the B-school, you can look for AACSB accreditation. There's also CFA partnership. I wish there was an exhaustive list ranking these programs or at least breaking them into tiers. If I try to search for rankings of graduate finance programs, I always get the same list of 10-15 schools. It's frustrating. I feel that if I'm going to invest $50k+, I should at least be able to say how relatively prestigious / job prospects would be between, say, Loyola MSF and DePaul MSF. They might as well be equivalent to me right now. What other criteria should one consider for a school? edit: Like for an MBA, obv you shouldn't even consider a school if no AACSB accreditation I'm assuming. What other criteria exist for graduate finance programs?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 29

Re: Advice needed! (MSF finance) [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 12:46
Take a look at MSFHQ.com. I just finished applying to MSF programs, and from my research, the schools tend to rank higher based on their placements and strength of their MBA program. Schools like Villanova or Vanderbilt have excellent alumni networks and place well into corporate finance and investment banking positions. If you are investing that much money into your education, especially since it is only a year-long program, I would strongly advise that you only look at the top programs. Of course, it really depends on what type of career you would like to enter post graduation.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Re: Advice needed! (MSF finance)   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2012, 12:46