Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice on how to overcome application weaknesses

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 24

Advice on how to overcome application weaknesses [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 16:10
I'd like to ask for advice/suggestions on how to overcome some weaknesses in my application. I'm planning on applying for full-time MBA for the class of 2016 during R1 of next year. I haven't taken my GMAT yet, but I'm studying for it now and I'm fairly confident I can score 700+. Here's my profile:

Race: Asian-American, born and raised in USA

Undergrad GPA: 2.9 in electrical engineering and computer science from top public university

Work: 7 years at a small financial services software company that leads in niche industry. Our clients include the top mortgage banks and lenders in the country as well as state and federal regulatory bodies responsible for regulating lending (with home loans being the top concern of the day). I started as an analyst and am now a product manager, working directly on a daily basis with the leaders of every internal team, as well as with a big four firm on a client project

Extracurriculars: I have hobbies, but no real post-college extracurricular organizations. In college I was, at different times, vice president, historian, and new member educator of a social fraternity.

Right now I'm taking some courses through UC Berkeley extension towards a business administration certificate. If I can pull down 3.7-4.0 GPA on these extension courses, at this point, would that help to mitigate my low undergrad GPA? Are there other ways I can demonstrate that I'm a different person now than i was almost 10 years ago, and that I can handle academic rigor in addition to daily work obligations (would completing mbamath help an application?)

It's early, but here's the large list of schools that I've been considering applying to, in loose priority order:
Dream... may not even apply
Wharton
Sloan
Booth

Desired Schools
Kellogg
Haas
Ross
Fuqua
Johnson
Anderson
Marshall

Should I give up now or is there hope?

Thanks very much for your advice!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 1

Re: Advice on how to overcome application weaknesses [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 21:47
Expert's post
Sure. As long as you have a will and drive to do better, there is definitely a hope for you.You cannot be 'punished' for your low gpa for the rest of your career . B-Schools are not looking for mistake-free individuals; they are looking for candidates who can learn from their mistakes , and can demonstrate consistent growth.

You are already taking courses and are hoping to score well. You have 7 years of work experience. If you can show career progression and accomplishments in your career, and can get 720+ GMAT score , I don't see any reason why you can't apply to the schools of your choice. Success at MBA programs depends a lot on how well you are able to present your candidacy.

I hope it helped.

Good luck.

If you my my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the kudos button.

Also, feel free to email me at poonam@myessayreview.com

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Re: Advice on how to overcome application weaknesses   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2012, 21:47