Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice on letter of recommendations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Advice on letter of recommendations [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 16:17
Hi,

I'm planning on applying to a few schools for round 2. I had picked out my recommenders in September, and had meetings with both of them. I chose two of my former direct supervisors, one from each of the non profits I worked at. In those initial meetings, I had given them a little guidebook to writing the letters, and provided one page summaries for the schools I'm applying to.

In the last two weeks, one of my supervisors had gotten laid off from the nonprofit where we both worked at. She's been MIA--via phone and email. I'm concerned because I've been trying to schedule a follow-up meeting to go over any questions or concerns she may have, and she's completely unavailable. At this point, should I go on to a back-up recommender?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Advice on letter of recommendations [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 23:06
nellz wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning on applying to a few schools for round 2. I had picked out my recommenders in September, and had meetings with both of them. I chose two of my former direct supervisors, one from each of the non profits I worked at. In those initial meetings, I had given them a little guidebook to writing the letters, and provided one page summaries for the schools I'm applying to.

In the last two weeks, one of my supervisors had gotten laid off from the nonprofit where we both worked at. She's been MIA--via phone and email. I'm concerned because I've been trying to schedule a follow-up meeting to go over any questions or concerns she may have, and she's completely unavailable. At this point, should I go on to a back-up recommender?

I'd definitely pursue a back-up recommender just in case. Good LORs are an important component of the application, and you want to be sure you've got the best available. If your back-up can provide a solid recommendation on time, and, if necessary, you can explain on your app why you selected her/him, then those are your most important considerations.

If you do get in touch with your original recommender, you might try to assess whether her feelings about the lay-off would negatively affect her LOR. If she is still willing to write an LOR and you believe it will be a strong one, then you can decide whether to choose her or your back-up.

Robbie Walker
Accepted.com
310-815-9553

Subscribe to our Blog
Join Us on Facebook
Follow Accepted on Twitter