Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice on my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice on my profile [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 10:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I have a year left to obtain my Spanish bachelor that will be valid throughout Europe (expected date to be obtained: June 2013). So I have a year to improve my CV as much as I can to be accepted in a top European school.

1) Basic demographic info: 22, female, Spanish

2) Educational Background: 3 year Business Administration Degree by University of Valencia, obtained as well a Dutch bachelor of HBO level in International Management and Law (Saxion Hogeschool), because my Spanish studies were accepted there as such (HBO is not considered university: need to further my studies to access a master). GPA of 7.8/10 for these studies. Still preparing for GMAT. No TOEFL or IETSL either.

3) Work experience: had a small internship of two months as part of my graduation project, but it was my family's company so I don't really have experience.

4) Extracurriculars: In my second university year I heped the university with several activities as teacher for a day to visiting highschool classes. I also did a special semester course in sustainability, Cradle to Cradle and the factory of the future by Utrecht University.

5) Short/Long term goals: I aim to enter in Erasmus Rotterdam, I would prefer the CEMS course, but I would need to be fluent at three languages (I currecntly speak native: Spanish, fluent: English, Catalonian, basic: Chinese, Dutch, though I do ot think they'd count Catalonian as a valid language for admission). I want to study in a master that is international focused, and that will give me the opportunity to specalize in consulting in the long term. Also, I am short on cash so I chose this university as it has a reputation, yet it is only 1800 euro per year for EU students.

Since I have until January to apply, I wonder what can I do with my free time (I will have only evening lessons). I have considered several options:

1. Do an internship in consulting. See if I really like it. They say it is tough work but enriching. I think it will help a profile like mine with no work experience.
2. Do voluntary work with the Red Cross: I have no many group activities or other hobbies to report, and I would like to do this anyway.
3. Take a language course of a language that would be easier for me as a Spanish speaker: French. It is almost impossible that I attain a high enough level, but perhaps it is worth a try. Should I go for intensive and really try to get into CEMS? Or is it just impossible?
4. Other courses, perhaps online 30 hours courses about specific areas of management, like cost accounting. I could do it in Valencia univesity which is nearby me.

I hope you can give me advice on what would make my profile stronger. Application deadline closes in January for CEMS, or March for the other programmes, so I would need to have improved my profile by then.

Thank you and sorry for the long post.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Advice on my profile   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2012, 10:23