Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice on next step... got killed in GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 55

Advice on next step... got killed in GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 01:54
My scores in pactise tests and actual tests:
Started preparing 2 months back
1) Princeton review: Q43, V35 Total 640 (2 months back)
2) Manhatten GMAT1: Q45, V30 Total 610 (around 2 months back)
3) Kaplan 1: Q51, V28 Total 710 (around 1.5 months back)
4) Veritas Prep 1: Q49, V32 Total: 670 (25 days back)

GMATprpe1: Q49, V34 Total 680 (10 days back)
GMAT prep2: Q49, V34 Total 680 (4 days back)
GmatPrep2 retake: Q50, V42 Total 760 (4 days back)

Actual GMAT today: Q49, V20 Total 570 (today.. and I am upset because I did well in verbal. All questions attempted and well paced)

Should I retake in one month or wait for next year admissions? I am low in confidence right now.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 258

Kudos [?]: 996 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Advice on next step... got killed in GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 02:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sagarsingh wrote:

Actual GMAT today: Q49, V20 Total 570 (today.. and I am upset because I did well in verbal. All questions attempted and well paced)

Should I retake in one month or wait for next year admissions? I am low in confidence right now.

Hi sagarsingh,

Your practice tests results indicate that you could have safely scored around 600 - 650. I think that your level is at least 600 and the reason for your low score could have been other external factors such test day environment, lack of adequate sleep, and anxiety etc. What do you feel was the cause. I know that I screwed up my first attempt because of anxiety and lack of proper sleep. I believe that you can take one or two months time and reappear for the GMAT. As you have taken the GMAT today, just relax for a day or two, meet with friends, talk to family members, watch a light movie, etc. There is always a scope for improvement, all you have to do is to recognize your weaknesses and work on them. All the best!!

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager

Re: Advice on next step... got killed in GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 02:58
Hi Vercules ...

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I did not get proper sleep - slept just for 4 hours (because of anxiety and other factors.. room-mates etc).
Secondly the test center environment was really bad. No AC. The fan was very loud. I had to switch it off in between the test. Also, the mouse was not clicking properly and it was not possible to replace it in between the test, when I complained. (I did not want to loose time for this). However, I did not mention these things because they appear as excuses. I had worked really hard for these two months. I devoted a bit mote time to quant (as I was not sure of Verbal). I guess this was not a fair strategy. But I did study a lot - both quant and verbal.

Quant: Did all 700 level DS and PS questions on the forum. Stopped quant prep when I was consistent in performance (49) and there was no further improvement visible.
Verbal: LSAT CR bible.. did it thoroghly. MGMAT sentence correction. OG paper tests. OG and OG verbal review 2 (CR and SC). My accuracy at RC was good. So just did OG and MGMAT.

However, I DIDNOT review answers/Solutions from OG/OG verbal. I thinks this was the biggest mistake. My reason was that the solutions were too detailed. I have strong concepts and my accuracy was 75+% So I didnt want to change my style of solving the verbal problems.
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 258

Kudos [?]: 996 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Advice on next step... got killed in GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 05:03
Expert's post
sagarsingh wrote:
However, I DIDNOT review answers/Solutions from OG/OG verbal. I thinks this was the biggest mistake. My reason was that the solutions were too detailed. I have strong concepts and my accuracy was 75+% So I didnt want to change my style of solving the verbal problems.

Hi sagarsingh,

I also feel that this may be the cause of your verbal score. You may not change your style of solving verbal question, but knowing the error patterns that GMAT tests can really help a lot. This time make every attempt to fully understand the official questions and their explanations. I did the same, and it immensely helped me to achieve a good verbal score. I can not say the same for quant because OG explanations for quant are classical and do not use any shortcuts/ tricks, but are surely good for concept building. Again All the best!!

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 66

Re: Advice on next step... got killed in GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 07:56
Expert's post
sagarsingh wrote:

Hi Sagarsingh, I would definitely recommend retaking the exam in a month or so. If you're scoring so highly in the practice tests, you can do much better on the verbal section than this test indicates. One of the most important things to do is to sleep well and feel refreshed, as difficult as this may sound before a big test. It also sounds like the test center experience was horrible. You might want to consider taking it at a different test center if possible, and getting away from noisy roomates might also help. Keep your spirits up, a lot of people don't hit their maximum potential on their first exam!

Good luck!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Advice on next step... got killed in GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 10:15
Thanks Ron.. for your feedback... Its really motivating. Thanks again!

VeritasPrepRon wrote:
sagarsingh wrote:

Hi Sagarsingh, I would definitely recommend retaking the exam in a month or so. If you're scoring so highly in the practice tests, you can do much better on the verbal section than this test indicates. One of the most important things to do is to sleep well and feel refreshed, as difficult as this may sound before a big test. It also sounds like the test center experience was horrible. You might want to consider taking it at a different test center if possible, and getting away from noisy roomates might also help. Keep your spirits up, a lot of people don't hit their maximum potential on their first exam!

Good luck!
-Ron
Re: Advice on next step... got killed in GMAT   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2013, 10:15