Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice on researching and writing research paper?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice on researching and writing research paper? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 13:18
Hey Guys,

Do you know of any guides/documents/online material that explains how to write a good research paper?

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice on researching and writing research paper? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2008, 22:18
so this is some tough love coming to you in this post. i would imagine you should expect many more years of similar tough love in a PhD program:

your first "homework" assignment as a researcher is to do some research to find what you are looking for. You made it into a PhD program so you know your way around a library. ;)

all kidding aside... thats probably not the answer you are looking for, but more often than not at is the answer you are going to get in academia at your level with such an open ended question...

what kind of research do you do and your research interests?!

someone who does content analysis for a living is going to have a different idea of what is helpful and what makes a good paper vs. someone who makes models that predict the coupon redemption rates of somali immigrants. things become very specialized and fragmented which is why you begin to learn how to answer your own questions. because, frankly, thats what research is about.. also...writing a good research paper starts with conducting good research first --- and that really is a culmination of synthesizing just about everything you've learned (and will continue to learn) up to this point.

seriously though read the first few pages of a bunch of books and check out the few that you like best. also your professors should all have a long list of both required and suggested readings that you should consult.. this will be the most relevant to what you are studying.

seriously, just start reading and find your own way. in many ways you are on your own now. that is my best piece of advice for you... you will identify writers that you like and you will start to figure things out based on that. it will take time and lots of effort so hold on to your hat and start buying coffee in bulk :o)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice on researching and writing research paper? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 07:03
A good start is "The craft of research" by Booth, Colomb and Wiliams (University of Chicago Press). It is a good read to have a generic sense of how to conduct a research and write the report. A worthy investment.

Eventually you would need to have some field-specific and journal-specific way of pitching your ideas to your audience. That you have to learn by reading what people write, and talking to faculty members.

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Advice on researching and writing research paper? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 16:09
Don't just talk to your professors. Learn from your professors. This is the value-add of a good Ph.D. program. The "ideal" progression is for profs to help you a lot, perhaps co-author a paper or two in the beginning, and then slowly pull away as you go towards your dissertation.
Intern
Intern

Re: Advice on researching and writing research paper? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 15:52
Thanks Guys for your advice. tkkoh, I bought the book from Amazon.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice on researching and writing research paper? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 16:55
This post received
KUDOS
Good buy... Amazon should give me a commission....

Intern
Intern

Re: Advice on researching and writing research paper? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2008, 15:07
haha.. yea right, you probably should! is there anyone on the board who has an IS emphasis? I would like to know what are some IS professional associations to join.

thanks guys!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice on researching and writing research paper? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2008, 16:23
I guess you didn't read my blog :lol:

One of the main IS association would be the Association for Information Systems (AIS). A key IS conference is the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS).

Btw, what's your objective of joining the associations?

Re: Advice on researching and writing research paper?   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2008, 16:23