Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice on salvaging a year wasted after graduating...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Advice on salvaging a year wasted after graduating... [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 17:06
Hey guys, I'm severely stressed because of my situation, and wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've summarized my story since graduation so far, it's kind of long :/

So, I graduated from Babson College with a BSc in Business Management (concentration in Finance and Economics) with a GPA of 3.03 in May 2012. I made the mistake of taking it easy for a few months thinking that I would get a job quite easily. After applying to countless positions and a few interviews, nothing panned out, despite being led on by a company I was interested in. I kept this pattern on for several months (while doing some research and editing work for my father to get some cash)

Now it's December 2012 already, I haven't started freaking out for some reason, and my father says I have to get an MBA, so I said yes this seems reasonable and he went ahead and bought me some books to begin reading and practicing for the GMAT. I register for the exam for February 9th, as I figure I can take it again by March 10th if I needed to in time for several round 3 applications. Now the exam is delayed because of the storm closing down centers and the next available date is a few weeks from now. This is what I get for being reactive instead of proactive.

During my study I find out that virtually no one gets into a good MBA program without work experience, unless you have a GPA that's significantly better than mine and impressive test scores and other factors (and is even more difficult in round 3). This is incredibly demotivating, and now I really only have one shot at the GMAT. So far my average scores on practice tests have been around 650, I hope to improve that within a few weeks. My strength is in mathematics, so I have looked into options of MS Finance possibly, but they are also extremely competitive.

I was just wondering at this point in my life what can I do, at least career wise. It seems unlikely that I will get into a top 30 business school for an MBA, seems like no one will hire me, what options do I have? What other careers should I be applying to with my degree/grades? I really hate rotting away at my parents home, essentially a being a bum. If I simply cannot get any opportunity, what should I do with my spare time?

Thank you, I hope I posted this in the right section. Please tell me if you need any more information.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [2] , given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Advice on salvaging a year wasted after graduating... [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 20:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
First, take a deep breathe. Everything will be okay.

You graduated in May 2012 -- that was give or take 8 months ago. You've taken up odd jobs working for your dad since then. That's fine -- that's work experience that you can add to your resume that shows you weren't just sitting at home in front of the TV.

You should NOT apply for an MBA this year. You won't get much out of it, since you haven't gained a lot of work experience since graduation. You've also missed most, if not all, R2 deadlines. Applying in R3 is tough, and you have basically no work experience -- you won't get in.

You should, however, take your GMAT if business school is something you're seriously considering. And since it doesn't sound like you have a 60-80+ hr/wk job right now, you should have plenty of time to study to get a great score.

It sounds like your dad wants you to do something with your life beyond mooching off him as a college graduate, and the easiest way to be "productive" is to go back to school. We've all been there at one point or another. The important things for you to do now are:

1) Decide if an MBA is a degree you want. If so, then take your GMAT and get it out of the way

2) Get a job in an area you have relevant experience in. You can't expect your dream job -- or any job -- to fall in your lap. Get out of the house and network. Reach out to Babson's career office for help in finding a job. The Babson network is great in the Boston area (I assume you're still in the area) and you should be able to take advantage of that. Reach out to your Babson friends and your friends from high school -- see what they're up to. Maybe one of their companies is hiring.

Yes, you've said you've applied for jobs and things haven't worked out. Are you applying for jobs you're qualified for? Are you looking in the right industries? Were you a finance major who is applying to marketing roles? That probably won't work out very well for you as a recent graduate. Search for jobs that can utilize Babson's business curriculum.

It's important to consider that even if you don't find a job that you think you'll be in for 3-5+ years, that's okay. Your first job out of college is about gaining experience-- any type of experience.

3) Go to work. Do well in your role...and then apply to business school in a a year or two or three. Your GMAT scores are good for 5 years so you have plenty of time.
(You also might consider finally moving out of your dad's house once you have an income)

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Advice on salvaging a year wasted after graduating... [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 15:40
Thanks for the reply, really helped. To be honest I have spent more time than I would have liked in front of the TV :(

But I'm going to contact our career center as soon as we get power. Once again, thanks for the advice.
Re: Advice on salvaging a year wasted after graduating...   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2013, 15:40