Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice on what I should do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Advice on what I should do? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 16:59
Hi everyone, so I took the GMAT today and fell short of my goal (700 or at least 670+) - I got a 620 (Q38 and V38). During the quant section, I totally did not manage my time properly and ran out of time with 11 questions to go! I had to random guess in the last minute and didn't even get to fill in the last 4-5 questions! Previously, I did many practice tests and my quant was around 41-43, so I still think I need to improve a lot there. The highest verbal I got on any practice test before this was 41. I have read and worked through the following:

Kaplan math workbook
powerscore CR and SC
MGMAT RC

and I've done a lot of problems in OG (not all though).

I bought the practices CATs from MGMAT and did those too...scores ranged from 580 - 660...
I did the 2 GMAT prep tests and got 680 (VERY lucky random guessing at the end of quant) and 640...

Now I need a plan to reach my goal of 700. I think I can do this if I get my verbal up to 41-42 and quant up to 46 at least. I just bought Total GMAT math, MGMAT SC, MGMAT number properties, and OG Verbal 2nd ed.

If I work through all of these and take more of the GMATprep tests, does this sound like a good plan?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice on what I should do? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 17:33
Practice, practice & more practice.

To get to the 700 level, you will need to have have your quant somewhere around 46-47 range at least. Your verbal is pretty decent but you want to push this past 40.

Keep working hard my friend....glory awaits us all!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Advice on what I should do? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 18:41
Jivana wrote:
Practice, practice & more practice.

To get to the 700 level, you will need to have have your quant somewhere around 46-47 range at least. Your verbal is pretty decent but you want to push this past 40.

Keep working hard my friend....glory awaits us all!

Thanks!!! I plan on practicing tons...I need to finish OG 12th edition...and i bought the verbal OG jsut for extra practice. I've read many good recommendations about total GMAT math and since my quant could use a lot of help, I decided it would be worth it...along with some MGMAT number properties.

About Total GMAT Math - to anyoen else who bought it - did you have trouble downloading the PDF? I can only see a blank PDF when i try to download it and nothing that asks for the password. I even updated my adobe reader just now...I e-mailed Jeff but no reply yet. I'm eager to start... :/

I should also mention that during my quant section, when i was on #3, there were some technical problems and they had to pause everyone's exam...costing me about 20 seconds for her to shut mine down...and then we had to wait 10 mins to go back in...kinda messed up my flow... :( i think that led to my severe time management problems...never was that bad in any of the practice tests I've taken before....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Advice on what I should do? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 18:43
Practice . Try to get the basics right. Keep working hard
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice on what I should do? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 22:40
I found the most intimidating Q questions were DS questions. Set them aside and work on them every day. I created an error log from the gmat club tests. That made a world of difference. Look to do gmat prep at least 3 times before the actual test with a minimum of 2 weeks between.

sk88 wrote:
Hi everyone, so I took the GMAT today and fell short of my goal (700 or at least 670+) - I got a 620 (Q38 and V38). During the quant section, I totally did not manage my time properly and ran out of time with 11 questions to go! I had to random guess in the last minute and didn't even get to fill in the last 4-5 questions! Previously, I did many practice tests and my quant was around 41-43, so I still think I need to improve a lot there. The highest verbal I got on any practice test before this was 41. I have read and worked through the following:

Kaplan math workbook
powerscore CR and SC
MGMAT RC

I bought the practices CATs from MGMAT and did those too...scores ranged from 580 - 660...
I did the 2 GMAT prep tests and got 680 (VERY lucky random guessing at the end of quant) and 640...

Now I need a plan to reach my goal of 700. I think I can do this if I get my verbal up to 41-42 and quant up to 46 at least. I just bought Total GMAT math, MGMAT SC, MGMAT number properties, and OG Verbal 2nd ed.

If I work through all of these and take more of the GMATprep tests, does this sound like a good plan?

-talent is the desire to practice-

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice on what I should do? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 08:46
Expert's post
Hi sk88,

Sorry your test didn't work out like you hoped, but I'm always glad to see people keep at it!

Most of my advice has already been covered, but I do want to add one thing. If you're consistently ending with questions unfinished in the Math section, just taking test after test isn't an efficient way to improve your pacing. Instead, I recommend that you start with 5 questions and a strict time limit of 10 minutes, then move on 10 in 20 minutes, then 15 in 30, and so on.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Advice on what I should do? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 15:01
sk88 wrote:

Kaplan math workbook
powerscore CR and SC
MGMAT RC

You know wha they say Practice makes perfect.
Re: Advice on what I should do?   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2009, 15:01