Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice on which schools to apply

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice on which schools to apply [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 18:34
Hello

I graduated in 2009 from University of the Pacific with a Gpa of 3.05. My gmat score is 680 which i took while in school in 2008. Since graduation i have been working as a realestate analyst at a real estate company. Can you please guide me which schools i would have a good shot at? Thank you
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 37

Re: Advice on which schools to apply [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 18:38
going to chime in here.

It'll be easier for Alex if you can share some more information. Browse around some other posts and see what others have typed out for themselves. What's your age? What's your major? What do you do outside of work? Where do you want to work after MBA? What are your aspirations after MBA? What type of leadership ability can you describe about yourself? Have you researched the rankings online yet for business schools? Are you gearing for top 20 or top 50?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Advice on which schools to apply [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 18:43
Thank you bakfed. This is my first post i think i missed out the essential information.I am 24 year old. My undergrad was BS in Business Administration. I want to work for an investment bank after MBA. I have one year of real estate analysis experience. I am thinking about top 30 schools so i wanted to know if i have some chance or is there something i can do to make my application stronger. Also i wanted to ask i have heard these schools have a minority applications too but i am not sure if that route is the one that should be taken?
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 37

Re: Advice on which schools to apply [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 19:49
No worries 8-) I just wanted to make sure that adequate information is transmitted, so you don't have to go back and forth with Alex too many times.

From what you wrote, my knowledge (which is purely my own and not of any admission consultants') is that investment banking and management consulting are two of the most realistic fields post-MBA, meaning that if you aspire to get into the top IB job, you should try to get to as good of a b-school as possible (and of course, this is debatable, but USNews is a good start). Basically if you get into a top-10 business schools, all major banks are going to be on campus to recruit. It'll really be up to you to schmooze and make that great first impression to land a summer internship job. With an IB summer internship job and assuming you do it well, you'll have that as a leverage to get into a full-time IB job post-MBA. I believe for minority there's something called to apply through the Consortium. I don't know much about it, but it should be sufficient for you to research a bit into it.

I guess that's all I can say; I'll shut up now and you can wait for Alex's response. :o

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Advice on which schools to apply [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 23:03
I consider my GPA 3.05 a lill low. My Gmat is 680 so i dont know if i should say its low i think its medium.And the work experience i have is in the real estate field which is really not considered that good. The shcools that i am considering are

LSE
University of Illionis
LBS
USC
but all these schools are way up there thats why i wanted to get a more realistic advice to which schools i should be applying
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Advice on which schools to apply [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 10:12
Not sure how you came up with that list of schools, as it seems a bit all over the place - two are in London England, the other is in Los Angeles, and another in the US midwest.

To be honest, I really think you can afford to wait a few years. There's no rush. You just graduated last year. And to be blunt, based on the writing in your posts, I think you need to enroll in some English writing and communication classes (take a few courses at a local university) -- my guess is English isn't your first language, and if you want to work in a client-oriented role like investment banking (or any business career in the western world), your English communication skills have to be strong. That is a bigger obstacle for you right now that you have to address before even getting an MBA.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Advice on which schools to apply   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2010, 10:12