Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 06:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice on Yale Essay

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Advice on Yale Essay [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 07:27
An effective leader for business and society is one who is able to hear, understand and communicate with people from all segments of society. In order to educate such leaders, Yale SOM is committed to promoting diversity and creating a community that cultivates a wealth of perspectives. In this spirit, describe an instance when, as part of a team, you played a role in bringing together individuals with different values or viewpoints to achieve a common goal.

This is one of Yale's MBA Application essays this year. This past year, in my indian community, I convinced 12 families to come together and donate over $2000 to an organization (one that has not been decided yet). Not all of these individuals were altruistic or ones that were willing to give money away easily, and it took a lot of research and talking on my part. Does this count as bringing individuals with different viewpoints together, or should I use a different example for a more stronger approach?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Schools: Yale
WE 1: Tax - Big 4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 10

Re: Advice on Yale Essay [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
SnehaC,

Sounds like a neat accomplishment - well done!

As for the essay, I am on the fence about this one. In my opinion, I think the question is asking for an example that describes how you would learn/function/work with your classmates at YSOM. While it is impressive that you were able to convince others to contribute to your cause, I feel it may be difficult to stress the coming together or "community" feel of your accomplishment, as I'm guessing it was you meeting individually with these families to recruit them for your cause, instead of say, you recruiting a number of families who didn't believe in donating to go out and get others to donate as a team/group/community, etc.

I would say that if you are set on using this example, try to frame it by focusing on the coming together for a cause (you really convinced these people to donate not just to get you off their back, but because they really cared to help). However, it may be a bit difficult as there is a bit of ambiguity in regards to the "common goal" as the money has yet to go to a specific cause. Perhaps there may be other examples from you experiences in college to highlight your ability to work well with others with different perspectives in which you were able to lead to achieving a specific goal?

In either case, this is just my two cents - good luck with the essay! I will be applying this fall as well, perhaps we'll meet in New Haven!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Advice on Yale Essay [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 05:02
Thank you for your advice. Yes, those were my worries exactly. I will have to rack my brain for more examples... I'll probably end up doing two or three drafts.

But that's awesome! Definitely hope to see you there :) How is your application process coming along?
Re: Advice on Yale Essay   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2010, 05:02