Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice please?!?! Need help planning

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Advice please?!?! Need help planning [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 09:08
Hello,

I recently graduated and am looking to start working end of july. Currently planning on going to grad school 3-4 years down the road. My initial plan was to try taking the GMAT before starting to work. I have been studying for a couple weeks now and know that I still have a lot of work to do if I wanna get over/around 700. I'm only left with about 3 weeks of prep time.

Once I start working I know my learning curve will peak...soooo I'm guessing I won't really have time to dedicate to my GMAT prep.

Could someone who is thinking "been there done that" please guide me?!? would it be better for me to hold off for a year/two OR study as much as I can in the next 3 weeks and attempt it before work ?!!? (ps. as of now, i'm not really confident :cry: )

Thank you for your time and input!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 79

Re: Advice please?!?! Need help planning [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 16:18
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry to hear that things aren't going too well with the prep so far. Are you really really far away from a 700 at this point, or are you within reasonable shouting distance? Honestly, if your scores are low enough at this point, then it might not be realistic to cram like crazy for three weeks, anyway. The GMAT is oddly resistant to cramming, since it's mostly a test of logic and reading precision and time management; there just isn't all that much formulaic information that you can wedge into your head in three weeks. Sometimes you just need tons of practice over a long period of time to make a huge score improvement. So if you're hating the GMAT and you're a long ways from your target, then maybe it's best to just enjoy life before you start working?

If you're just finishing school, then it's definitely true that your brain is already in "academic mode," and you're probably better at studying than you will be in a few years. On the other hand, I think that it's awfully hard to stay motivated when business school is still several years away. Once you're partway into your career, you might end up being unbelievably passionate about getting an MBA, and that will fuel your studies. Sure, you'll have to shake off some academic rust in a few years, but if your desire to get a certain score is strong enough, you won't have any trouble getting fired up about studying.

I'm just guessing here, but it doesn't sound like you're all that fired up about studying for the GMAT right now. Again, if you're not that far from your target score, great--it'll feel really, really good to get the test over with. But the GMAT will still be around in a few years. If you're not feeling motivated and you're not doing well so far with your studies, there's not much harm in waiting. Hey, when's the next time you'll have three weeks completely off from both work and school? You might as well enjoy it.

I hope this helps!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: Advice please?!?! Need help planning   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2013, 16:18