Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice please: score 700; perfect verbal, low quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice please: score 700; perfect verbal, low quant [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 00:59
Hi all,

This is my first post, so I hope people are able to give me some advice despite being a total newb.

I sat the GMAT today. I had taken a couple of practice exams and scored 670 and 690 respectively, with the verbal score usually higher than the quant score. Before taking the actual test today, I had spent about 2 weeks brushing up on the quant stuff, with a very brief review of the verbal aspects of the GMAT. I would say that in an ideal world I would have done much more quant preparation than I did.

My score from the GMAT today was 700 flat. However, I completely botched the quant section. I actually didn't even get to the 3 last questions (ran out of time) and was so rushed on the next 3 questions that I almost certainly got them wrong. Essentially, a couple of early questions threw me and I managed my time badly from then on. My quant score was 38 (51st %).

By contrast, I totally aced the verbal section (47 - 99th %). I think this means I answered every question correctly. In my 2 practice exams my average verbal was low 90s, and my quant was low 70s (noting that I did manage to finish the quant section on time in both practice exams I took, in contrast to my performance today on the real thing).

I am aiming to get into a top B school in the US or Europe, and ultimately to move into private equity (perhaps starting in corporate finance at an IB if necessary). I am therefore concerned that the quant score will count against me in a major way, despite the healthy overall score.

My background is that I am a lawyer working in M&A at a large international law firm in Australia. I am 29 years old. I have a law degree and a BA majoring in history and japanese language. My university marks are fair but not stellar. Despite my (relative) youth as a lawyer, I have risen up through my firm rapidly and am now fairly senior. I have worked on a large number of significant transactions.

I have undertaken post grad studies in finance (including valuation) at a reputable Australian institution, and achieved distinction level marks in those studies.

My question is, should I sit the GMAT again, to try and increase my quant score? I think I would almost certainly increase the quant score from my terrible performance today, but I am concerned that I might not hit the same highs on the verbal, so that my overall score may fall from 700.

Are top B Schools likely to consider my post grad finance studies/results as counterbalancing my poor quant score (in which case perhaps I should just accept the 700 I got today), or am I better to take the GMAT again (even though I would be risking my high verbal score to try and lift my quant score)?

Many thanks, and apologies for the length of the post.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice please: score 700; perfect verbal, low quant [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 18:46
Congrats on the 700. Your background is pretty impressive so I believe you'll be able to market yourself well. Remember that your applicant profile includes your GMAT score meaning it's only a part of the picture you will paint for admissions committees. Compare your score to average scores of your top choices and go from there. Here's a link to an article by Akil Bello of Bell Curves that provides more insight on having a "good" score : http://careerdiversity.blogspot.com/200 ... bello.html

I wouldn't sweat the quant subscore given your quant background.

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Advice please: score 700; perfect verbal, low quant [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 13:33
first of all, contrats about your perfect score.

You may not have achieved a "Perfect" score in Quant, but it is pretty good. I have a couple of questions:

- do you have good scores on quant disciplines in your courses?
- how were you going in quant on practice tests?

If you have strong indicatives that you could have scored much higher in quant on the test date, I surely would tell you to try once again. Otherwise, I would just start applying and see what happens. There was a guy here in this forum had done just the opposite: a strong score in quant but mere score in verbal. When he applied, he was dinged with the feedback saying that he should raise his V score and apply on the next round

I think he was accepted after his second application this year

Why don't you try?

:)
Re: Advice please: score 700; perfect verbal, low quant   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2010, 13:33