Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice required on my rough draft of GMAT study plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-26-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Advice required on my rough draft of GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 10:14
-Take GMAT prep test ---> Understand where I stand
-Start with Kaplan GMAT premier 2012
-Take a Kaplan test once I am done with Kaplan GMAT premier
-Start with MGMAT guides (All 8)
-Study two guides at a time- one quant and one verbal
-After finishing every guide practice questions plus corresponding questions in OG 12
-Last take all Kaplan and MGMAT tests and GMAT prep tests. Work on areas where I lack.
-Give the GMAT

This is obviously a rough plan. I plan to make weekly schedules based on this (I suck at sticking to long term schedules)

- Now my question is, How much time should I put aside for the kind of prep material that I have considering I study for 2 hours every day after work.(Also I just have only 2 Saturdays off in a month)

- Secondly have I scheduled all the mock tests at the right stages of preparation?

- And the last question is do I need to buy OG quant and OG verbal review (or any other books) or is this enough?

Thanks in advance to everyone :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Advice required on my rough draft of GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 11:07
Your plan looks fine. Just be sure to adjust your plan as you make progress and take practice tests throughout your prep (not just at the end) to gauge progress and make any needed changes to your study plan.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-26-2012

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Advice required on my rough draft of GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 11:09
mohater wrote:
Your plan looks fine. Just be sure to adjust your plan as you make progress and take practice tests throughout your prep (not just at the end) to gauge progress and make any needed changes to your study plan.

Hey thanks for replying mohater. I have two doubts though.

Firstly how can i take my practice tests in between if I haven't finished studying? Only when I am thorough with all the concepts then I can take the practice tests , right?

Secondly with my rough study plan that I have mentioned above and the amount of time I told you I can spend studying, how much time do you think I should give for my preparation so that I can accordingly book my GMAT test date. I want to book my date at the beginning only because I know that I work only when I have a target in front of me...
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Advice required on my rough draft of GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 12:16
samdighe wrote:
Hey thanks for replying mohater. I have two doubts though.

Firstly how can i take my practice tests in between if I haven't finished studying? Only when I am thorough with all the concepts then I can take the practice tests , right?

Secondly with my rough study plan that I have mentioned above and the amount of time I told you I can spend studying, how much time do you think I should give for my preparation so that I can accordingly book my GMAT test date. I want to book my date at the beginning only because I know that I work only when I have a target in front of me...

Unless you score an 800, you're never "done" studying. :)

Practice tests serve multiple purposes:

1. See how you would do on the real test
2. Gauge progress to determine IF the studying is beneficial or if you need to adjust

Taking lots of practice tests back to back is not very useful as you're not taking step to address defects and deficiencies. Spread the tests out to work on question types, timing/time management and test environment stress.

If you can focus in those two hours per day and good, noticeable progress on a weekly basis, a couple months should be more than enough.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Advice required on my rough draft of GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 05:35
With respect to starting with Kaplan and then moving onto the MGMAT guides - I haven't started yet (awaiting my Amazon order!) but I am thinking about doing Kaplan's sections and then working on the corresponding MGMAT guide. Does this make sense? Or should I follow a plan similar to the one suggested above (finish Kaplan Premier, then move onto MGMAT), which I had initially been considering?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Advice required on my rough draft of GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 07:27
I don't know what Kaplan's books are like, but each MGMAT book has a basic concepts/review section, and then an advance section. Just a thought...but may want to consider going through the basic sections of Kaplan + MGMAT and then going into the advance of MGMAT.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Advice required on my rough draft of GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:59
MGMAT books for me are the best
Re: Advice required on my rough draft of GMAT study plan   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2011, 02:59