Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 10:45

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice? Scored 620 42Q 34V 1st try, Goal... Masters Fin Eng

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Advice? Scored 620 42Q 34V 1st try, Goal... Masters Fin Eng [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 14:03
I’ll try to briefly run through my situation. Any advice regarding my situation as a whole or in part will be greatly appreciated.

I recently completed my first attempt at the GMAT scoring a 620 42Q 34V. I was really off my game that day, so under the circumstances I wasn’t totally devastated. However, a 620 w/ 42Q is nowhere near what I’ll probably need.

I’m 26 and a few months back decided to begin the process of trying to get into grad school. Specifically, I’d like to enter a masters program in financial engineering but I have yet to rule out a masters in finance.
A few of the schools I have in mind are Carnegie Mellon, UCLA, Georgia Tech, and NYU Poly.

I have a BS in finance w/ minor in accounting from DePaul University in Chicago with a 3.26 GPA w/ 3.7 finance GPA. I went to school sporadically for years and after going back full time I completed the degree fall of 2010. Unfortunately, 2 years of practically straight A-‘s wasn’t enough to correct the damage I had done. At that point I was unable to attain a job as a trading assistant or analyst. I’ve worked in sales, real estate, hard money lending, and have run my own wholesaling business. I worked throughout college.

I aced anything math related: Calc, Stats, Finance, Accounting etc.

I tutored people from Depaul, Northwestern, UIC, and Northeastern in those subjects.

My Prep:

I completed a full 7 week Veritas Prep course, followed by another 7 weeks of self study (approx. 35-40 hours per week) with the Veritas books and other GMAT quant guides. My practice test scores ranged from 550 on my first to a 690 on the last. I scored a couple of 700’s and never surpassed a 46 on Quant. The majority of my time was spent studying Quant because Financial Engineering programs require applicants be in the 49-50 range. I watched my Q’s go from the 30’s to mid 40’s and my V’s to go from the high 40’s to mid 30’s.

Questions:

How should I go about raising my quant score? Tutor? Another course? More books?

Do I stand a chance earning admittance to a higher tier MSFE program w/ a Quant score below the 90th percentile?

Some financial engineering programs require the GRE. I’ve heard the GRE quant section is much simpler than that of the GMAT. Is there any validity to this?

*English is my native language

Once again, thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some pointers.

I feel lost and after 14 weeks of study my brain is exhausted.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Advice? Scored 620 42Q 34V 1st try, Goal... Masters Fin Eng [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 14:56
I don't see any mention of OG or GMAT Prep in your study materials. These are the two best sources because they contain actual GMAT questions and will help you get used to the way GMAC words questions and you'll start to notice patterns which will make you more comfortable on test day.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice? Scored 620 42Q 34V 1st try, Goal... Masters Fin Eng [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 22:58
Please post your practice test scores.

I would also suggest you to go for the MGMAT guides. They will help you in building your base in a very fundamental way.

The MGMAT SC guide is worth reading.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2239

Kudos [?]: 8442 [0], given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Advice? Scored 620 42Q 34V 1st try, Goal... Masters Fin Eng [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 18:48
Expert's post
Hm... what score do you need for admission?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Advice? Scored 620 42Q 34V 1st try, Goal... Masters Fin Eng   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2011, 18:48