Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice with Deciding on MBA Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Advice with Deciding on MBA Schools [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 15:57
Hi guys, just wondering if you could give me some advice.

I would like to get into the top mba schools (mit, stanford, berkeley) for Fall 2008 but not sure if with my undergrad gpa and work experience, i should bother applying. I would like to choose 4 schools to apply to (one would be Rotmans University of Toronto, right here in Toronto), and three in the US. I've done my Honors Bachelor of Science from the University of Toronto, with a triple major in Economics, Applied Statistics and Computer Science. My final gpa was 2.92. By next April 3rd, I will have completed 2 years work experience at Scotiabank as a Survey Consultant (Market Research with internal surveys for different units of teh bank). I plan to take my GMAT this November.

I was just wondering do you guys think I have a chance of getting into these schools. Is there a school you recommend I have a better shot at? Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 16:11
Honestly I don't think you have much of a shot at Stanford...not many people do though so don't take that too hard. Your gpa isn't bad considering you took a heavy course load with some hard classes. If you can get a very good GMAT score that will help minimize any issues with the lower GPA. MIT might be tough too because they are one of the top comp sci programs in the world so they tend to draw heavily on comp sci people even in the MBA program so you will be facing stiff competition. You may want to spread your aim out from a couple top schools and then a couple good schools instead of going for all top programs.

Two years of work experience is on the low side for a lot of the top programs. Its harder to prove you have a proven track record and its also harder to explain why right now is the right time unless you are coming out of a rotational program or something that has a two or three year period. Its doable but its a harder battle than if you had three or four solid years and can prove that you are a standout and that you need an MBA to further your career. I would wait a year and try and get involved in stuff outside your job and also beef up your work experience as much as possible, add as much leadership and teamwork experience as you can.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 16:13
Depends on what you want to do your MBA in.

with your profile, as riverripper said Stanford is a long shot. You need to beef up your experience.

MIT and Berkeley, you can get in, but then again you need to focus on what you want to do after graduating from a MBA..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 16:44
thanks a lot for the advice guys! how about schools like columbia and chicago. would these also be long shots like stanford? i would like to go for an mba in finance.

Also, just wondering what schools would you recommend as good schools, but not top schools? a school that would be easier for me to get into with my profile, but still have a good recognition.
  [#permalink] 19 Aug 2007, 16:44