Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advise needed.. Should I retake the GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advise needed.. Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 07:13
Hi Stacy,

I wrote the GMAT today and scored 700 (Quant-46, VA-40). I wrote pretty decent essays, guessing should get a >=5 in AWA.

I have sent my scores to the following schools :

ISB, Emory University (Goizueta), UCLA, UNC (Kenan Flagler), Tepper.

I dunno if my score is good enough or not. Can u please advise? Should I retake the test or is the score worth pursuing?

I have 2+ years of work ex and loads of extra curricular activities and social work.. If a detailed profile info is required will do so in the next post. For now can u please tell me if m good to go?!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Advise needed.. Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 22:38
Expert's post
Hi deepti387,

In addition to your GMAT score, an admissions team is going to be looking at your work experience, personal essays, letters of recommendation, and undergraduate record. Your GMAT score will certainly not hurt your candidacy.

On a similar note, you should understand how an admissions team sees your GMAT score. Your GMAT score is self-reported on your application, so an admissions team will only focus on your highest score. For this reason, if you believe you underachieved on your test and can score 30+ points higher, there is not a downside to retaking the test (other than the cost of the test).

However, your GMAT score is around the averages of the schools you are looking to (http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-mba-p ... chools.cfm), so it will certainly not hurt your application.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Advise needed.. Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 23:20
Hi Stacy,

Thanks for the quick reply :)
I also talked to a qualified GMAT trainer.He said my quant score is not sufficient and is on the borderline, as such it might affect my applications, so its better I retake the test. Cost of the test is not as much a problem to me, as the application deadlines. If i do consider retaking the test, the earliest date I am looking at is September 15th. So I would probably get my official scores around Oct 1st week. Most of the deadlines are in Oct 1-2nd week for R1. I did read your post about Round1 vs Round2 and it made a lot of sense. But I would definitely like to apply for Round1 if possible. Considering this what do u suggest?!

Thanks for all the info so far :)

Regards,
Deepti.S