Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advise Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advise Please [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2004, 20:06
What are your opinions about Kenan Flagler of UNC and Robert H. Smith of Maryland? Is Kenan Flagler in top 20? What about Smith? Top 25? Which has stronger brand? Thanks.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 08:17
Expert's post
We think that they're both good schools. It's not easy to say whether a school is "top 20" or "top 25," but we profiled 30 of the highest-ranked schools in Your MBA Game Plan, and Smith and Kenan-Flagler are both in there.

Based on my own experiences, I would say that whether Smith of K-F has a stronger brand depends on where you are in the country and what field you're talking about. Smith is well regarded around DC, and has a good reputation in technology, especially. K-F is better known that Smith if you're in the Southeast, and it's probably better known for marketing. But they're both very good schools.

Best,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 09:51
I think that UNC is generally considered a transelite level school (just below the elite schools) or roughly in the "Top 20" of the US. MD would be considered high near elite school, roughly in the "Top 25" of the US. UNC is in the second highest cluster of schools in the South, placed just below the first "cluster" (really just Duke).

As stated above, they are both well regarded institutions with similar employment rates and similar yield rates. UNC appears to be more successful in placing students in management consulting positions and appears to be stronger in general with corporate recruiters.

If one is considering transelite or high near elite institutions in the South, one should probably consider Emory as well.

Best,

Hjort
Intern
Intern

Dilemma [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2004, 21:05
Well, I've got fortunate in getting accepted to both UMD Smith part-time and UNC KF EMBA and now face tough dilemma on the choice. I enjoy my current position within my firm and hope to climb the corporate ladder. But in the long term, I hope to move from IT to operations/logistics/general management and leverage my MBA for assignment in Asia Pacific with my current firm or other MNC. Which program would better allow me to accomplish this? In terms of brand recognition in international arena, which is better recognized? Thank you for your advices.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2004, 14:32
Congrats on your acceptances!

My "gut reaction" is that UNC has the stronger institutional general brand recognition but I am open to other interpretations.

Hjort
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2004, 08:40
Expert's post
That's great! I agree that UNC probably is better well known, although probably not by an overwhelming margin. Congrats on having a good choice to make.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2004, 19:07
Thanks Scott and HJort! It looks like, I'll be heading to UNC KFBS. This site has helped me a lot in GMAT and application process. Good luck to fellow MBA applicants.