Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 161 [2] , given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 02:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

28% (02:54) correct 72% (02:05) wrong based on 397 sessions
Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on beverage containers are necessary for environmental protection because they help to ensure that plastic and glass bottles as well as aluminum cans are recycled. This is, the advocates say, because the five-cent redemption programs provide a strong incentive to return the used containers to recycling facilities. However, a recent study found that states without a bottle deposit had more success in implementing comprehensive recycling programs, which include paper, plastics, and steel, in addition to the beverage containers, than did states with a bottle deposit law.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in analyzing the significance of the study referenced above?

A) Did any of the states surveyed lose revenue on the bottle deposit program?
B) Do the citizens of the states that were studied prefer five-cent redemption programs on beverage containers?
C) When the five-cent deposit programs were implemented, were the citizens of the states that began programs as enthusiastic about recycling as the citizens of the other states?
D) Did citizens of the states with and without bottle deposit programs purchase comparable numbers of beverages in plastic, glass and aluminum containers?
E) Where the bottle deposit and comprehensive recycling programs given equal funding?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Last edited by SOURH7WK on 18 Aug 2012, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1613 [0], given: 249

Re: Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 04:37
Expert's post
Critical thinking implies any program need to be profitable for sustainable continuance. It is known world universally that recycling is one of the profitable strategies. It is not enthusiasm that will be the mainstay of any project. Let us take this case; the passage says that there are states without deposit law, but still continuing to recycle beverages, along with many others. One might enthusiastic to start with any schemes, but would not bother a while later, if they were to lose money consistently. So I would reckon that the deposit law countries were losing in spite of the incentives on cans, sand hence they are lagging behind other countries.

A) Did any of the states surveyed lose revenue on the bottle deposit program? --looks like it is the best choice -it is all in the money, you see
B) Do the citizens of the states that were studied prefer five-cent redemption programs on beverage containers? …. Preference is irrelevant here.
C) When the five-cent deposit programs were implemented, were the citizens of the states that began programs as enthusiastic about recycling
as the citizens of the other states? ---- Initial enthusiasm is not a valid reason for project's sustenance
D) Did citizens of the states with and without bottle deposit programs purchase comparable numbers of beverages in plastic, glass and aluminum containers? --- does not take into account the other comprehensive recycling programs
E) were the bottle deposit and comprehensive recycling programs given equal funding? ------ funding cane compared on such wide ranging factors. Funding can be compared only between bottle recycling vs. bottle recycling and not with steel, paper or plastics. Irrelevant comparison

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 6

Re: Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 07:34
Spelling and grammar mistakes in both stimulus and answer choices. What's the source of this question?

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 07:53
Here's a link to the solution if you are interested.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/instructor-h ... 92121.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 07:57
Dear daagh et al,

This question was authored by a Veritas Instructor; according to him the answer is C. Personally, I like to attempt only validly certified critical reasoning questions from GMAC or the LSAC, because I think many CR questions authored by non-psychometricians lack a certain je ne sais quoi.

Anyway, if you are still interested in answering this question, here's the link to the author's explanation:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/instructor-h ... 92121.html

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz

SVP
SVP
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2014, 19:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2014, 19:50