Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [26]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [8]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Business
 Q49  V29 GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V36
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Re: AE || BD. AD is also the diameter. If the length of arc BCD is 4pi the [#permalink]
Kudos
yangsta8 wrote:
- Draw a line from B to O (circle centre)
- BO = OD (both radii) and now ODB is iscoceles triangle
- EAD = ADB = DBO = 30 degrees
- angle of arc at centre = 120 degrees (180-30-30)

So 120/360 (2* Pi * r) = 4 * Pi
solving you get r = 6
Area = 36 Pi

How is Angle EAD = Angle ADB = 30. Which property is being used here?

IF anyone could help here.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: AE || BD. AD is also the diameter. If the length of arc BCD is 4pi the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
earnit wrote:
yangsta8 wrote:

solving you get r = 6
Area = 36 Pi

When two parallel lines are cut by a third line, they form a system of angles.
Attachment:
parallell_lines2a.gif
parallell_lines2a.gif [ 1.46 KiB | Viewed 7250 times ]

In this figure, we can see that 1 and 4 are equal, as are 5 and 8. But because they are formed by two parallel lines, they are all equal to each other. The same could be said for angles 2, 3, 6, and 7.

There are many terms from geometry class you may know to describe these angles, such as “alternate interior” or “alternate exterior,” but these terms are not used on the test. For the GMAT, it is simply enough to know that all the little angles will always be equal, and all the big angles will always be equal. Additionally, you should realize that any little angle added to any big angle will always equal 180°.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
So I think you got the length of the arc formula wrong :

Length of Arc = C/360 (2 * 22/7 * r )
where C is the angle subtended by the arc in the centre

So join BE to intersect the diameter at center O. Now I don't how to find out angle BOD. But once you get that you have your answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Thanks guys - both the methods are very quick ways of solving this problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
earnit wrote:
yangsta8 wrote:

solving you get r = 6
Area = 36 Pi

When two parallel lines are cut by a third line, they form a system of angles.
Attachment:
parallell_lines2a.gif

In this figure, we can see that 1 and 4 are equal, as are 5 and 8. But because they are formed by two parallel lines, they are all equal to each other. The same could be said for angles 2, 3, 6, and 7.

There are many terms from geometry class you may know to describe these angles, such as “alternate interior” or “alternate exterior,” but these terms are not used on the test. For the GMAT, it is simply enough to know that all the little angles will always be equal, and all the big angles will always be equal. Additionally, you should realize that any little angle added to any big angle will always equal 180°.

Totally Got it. However, just in reference to the above context, how do you define 'little' angle and 'big' angle among 1,2,3,4,5....
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
earnit wrote:
Totally Got it. However, just in reference to the above context, how do you define 'little' angle and 'big' angle among 1,2,3,4,5....

One set of angles are smaller than other, so...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Please Bunuel
kindly illustrate your approach to solve such problem. I think it looks complex but it is simple if one recognize the concept behind it.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
hatemnag wrote:
Please Bunuel
kindly illustrate your approach to solve such problem. I think it looks complex but it is simple if one recognize the concept behind it.

Here is a solution: ae-bd-ad-is-also-the-diameter-if-the-length-of-arc-bcd-is-4pi-the-83893.html#p628625 Please specify which part needs to be elaborated. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Draw a line from B to O (circle centre)

solving you get r = 6
Area = 36 Pi
I am just confused that OBD is iscoceles triangle and not right triangle with 30 - 30 - 120 angles not 45 - 45 - 90 angles.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Bunuel
thank you very much for responding.
I am just confused that OBD is iscoceles triangle and not right triangle with 30 - 30 - 120 angles not 45 - 45 - 90 angles.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
hatemnag wrote:
Hi Bunuel
thank you very much for responding.

OD and OB are radii of the circle, thus OBD is an isosceles triangle.

The right triangle would be ABD, with right angle at B, because AD is a diameter (A right triangle's hypotenuse is a diameter of its circumcircle (circumscribed circle). The reverse is also true: if one of the sides of an inscribed triangle is a diameter of the circle, then the triangle is a right angled (right angel being the angle opposite the diameter/hypotenuse)).

Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 20.65 KiB | Viewed 6031 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
AE || BD. AD is also the diameter. If the length of arc BCD is 4pi the [#permalink]
I had a different approach to this and got the right answer. Not sure if it's just a coincidence though.

Drawing a line AB makes a 30-60-90 triangle, with the 60 degree angle creating the arc length 4*pi. I used the ratio of \frac{60}{30}=\frac{4*pi}{x}, where x is the length of the arc created by the 30 degree angle. This gives x=2*pi, so the circumference is 2(4*pi)+2(2*pi) = 12*pi = pi*diameter. So the diameter is 12 and from there we get the area 36*pi.

Can someone tell me if this is also a correct approach?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts