Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aerospace/Supply Chain Management--GMAT --710

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Aerospace/Supply Chain Management--GMAT --710 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 23:51
Hi Jen,

I plan on matriculating in 2015 or 2016. I was dinged at Cornell and Stern this year so I have decided to wait another 2-3 years. I'd appreciate any input you could give me. Below is a brief synopsis of my profile.

Ethnicity- Indian Male living in Canada-- I will probably get my Canadian citizenship in 1-2 years

I majored in Finance at a small regional school in Canada. GPA -3.3 - -last two years(Dean's list) GPA 3.7

GMAT --710 (Q49, V39)

W/E
1 year work experience working at a family run Engineering consulting firm in India.
Marketing Internship at 3M Canada
I have 2.5 years experience in supply chain management as a Buyer at a Mid size (400-500 employees, 100mill in revenue)Aerospace manufacturing firm in Canada.
I currently plan on switching careers over to a more finance oriented role either in corporate finance or portfolio management

Other information:
-- Passed all three levels of the CFA on the first attempt--Don't have any finance experience though, so I won't be getting the charter anytime soon.
- extracurricular involvements --Toastmaster, numerous non leadership volunteer roles

Goals
My end goal is to work at at Aerospace company either in a corporate finance role or as a aerospace supply chain management consultant leveraging my background in finance. Alternatively I could manage an aerospace pension fund or equity research focusing on the aerospace industry. I'll fine tune this over the next few years as my career progresses. I will need to make my story sound believable.

Target Schools
These are the schools i'm targeting. In my opinion I'm a stretch at all schools except Oxford and UCLA because I have worked at very small companies and attended an unknown regional Canadian school. Can you recommend any other schools that you think I might have a decent shot at?

CBS, Booth, Kellogg, LBS, Oxford, Cambridge , UCLA - Anderson

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE: Research (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 27

CAT Tests
Re: Aerospace/Supply Chain Management--GMAT --710 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 08:40
bondc707 wrote:
Hi Jen,

I plan on matriculating in 2015 or 2016. I was dinged at Cornell and Stern this year so I have decided to wait another 2-3 years. I'd appreciate any input you could give me. Below is a brief synopsis of my profile.

Ethnicity- Indian Male living in Canada-- I will probably get my Canadian citizenship in 1-2 years

I majored in Finance at a small regional school in Canada. GPA -3.3 - -last two years(Dean's list) GPA 3.7

GMAT --710 (Q49, V39)

W/E
1 year work experience working at a family run Engineering consulting firm in India.
Marketing Internship at 3M Canada
I have 2.5 years experience in supply chain management as a Buyer at a Mid size (400-500 employees, 100mill in revenue)Aerospace manufacturing firm in Canada.
I currently plan on switching careers over to a more finance oriented role either in corporate finance or portfolio management

Other information:
-- Passed all three levels of the CFA on the first attempt--Don't have any finance experience though, so I won't be getting the charter anytime soon.
- extracurricular involvements --Toastmaster, numerous non leadership volunteer roles

Goals
My end goal is to work at at Aerospace company either in a corporate finance role or as a aerospace supply chain management consultant leveraging my background in finance. Alternatively I could manage an aerospace pension fund or equity research focusing on the aerospace industry. I'll fine tune this over the next few years as my career progresses. I will need to make my story sound believable.

Target Schools
These are the schools i'm targeting. In my opinion I'm a stretch at all schools except Oxford and UCLA because I have worked at very small companies and attended an unknown regional Canadian school. Can you recommend any other schools that you think I might have a decent shot at?

CBS, Booth, Kellogg, LBS, Oxford, Cambridge , UCLA - Anderson

Thanks

Hi,

You most definatley have a very good chance to get into your dream colleges. You have a diverse profile, good curriculars, great extra-curricualrs and a very decent GMAT score. My take is that you should apply to your colleges straight away. Try to potray your diversity well...that should do the trick.

Good luck...
Please press KUDOS if my post helped !!

Please press KUDOS if my post helped !!

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: Aerospace/Supply Chain Management--GMAT --710 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 05:29
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. You have some solid things going for you, profile-wise... respectable GMAT, finance/quant skills, CFA, breadth of experiences, international experiences. Your GPA is low yes and as you said, lesser-known college. There's a small question of whether your experience and industry is almost TOO varied, over a short time... with the mentions of engineering consulting, marketing, supply chain, finance... but I think you can manage that story to focus on the areas that were and will be most important to you and your career. Yes the schools you mentioned are a bit of a reach, especially the first 4 you listed.... not impossible, but you may want to add another 1-2 schools that are slightly less competitive for better chances/more variety, and cut 1-2 of the more competitive ones. For supply chain interests, would recommend looking at Broad, Smeal, Fisher, Tepper for example.

It's good that you are planning ahead; be cognizant of aiming for leadership opportunities and ways to make an impact in your current role over time, and brainstorm from now on when you get a chance for essay ideas!

Keep us posted over time and good luck!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php