Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Affirmative action is good business. So asserted the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Affirmative action is good business. So asserted the [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2004, 10:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:31) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 9 sessions
Affirmative action is good business. So asserted the National Association of Manufacturers while arguing retention of a nexectuive order requiring some federal contractors to set numerical goals for hiring minorities and women. " Diversity in work force participation has produced new ideas in management, product development , and marketing," the association claimed.

The association's arguement as it is presented in the passage above would be most strenghtened if which of the following were true?

A. The percentage of minority and women workers in business has increased more slowly than many minority and women's groups would prefer.

B. Those businesses with the highest percentage of minority and women workers are those that have been the most inoovative and profitable.

C. Disposable income has been rising as fast as among the population as a whole.

D. The biggest growth in the sales in the manufacturing sector has come in industries that market the most innovative products.

E. Recent improvement in the management practices have allowed many manufacturers to experience enormous gains in worker productivity.

I could guess the right answer, but couldn't really understand the concept of "Affirmative Action". Can someone please relate this properly to the answer choices and explain?

Let's get it right!!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2004, 11:02
My final vote is for (B).
I was caught between (B) and (D).Will explain if B is the right answer.Even Iam not sure what Affirmative action meant.

510 on my first GMAT. 610 on second GMAT.!
The struggle continues.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2004, 10:56
you are correct. could you please explain it to me?

thanks.

Let's get it right!!!!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2004, 11:34
B should be the answer.

The companies trying to discharge its services by doing some ggof to the community by hiring minorities so that they are part of the action may be called Affirmative action. The original leaders wanted to help minorities and wanted businesses to voluntarily help them. In India the closest thing to AA may be reservations (or quotas for minorities) which is not voluntary but forced.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Affirmative action is good business. So asserted the [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 21:19
(B) it is !!

Because the conclusion tells "Affirmative action is good business" and the premises says that executive order require contractors to hire minority and women.

Now to support this argument we need to strengthen the link between the premise and conclusion by showing how minority and women workers increased profits in certain businesses.

Rgds,
TGC !!

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Affirmative action is good business. So asserted the   [#permalink] 20 May 2013, 21:19