Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 00:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 18:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (02:01) correct 38% (01:33) wrong based on 77 sessions
69. Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, Morocco was also of interest to the French throughout the first half of the twentieth century because they assumed that if they did not hold it, their grip on Algeria was always insecure.
(A) if they did not hold it, their grip on Algeria was always insecure
(B) without it their grip on Algeria would never be secure
(C) their grip on Algeria was not ever secure if they did not hold it
(D) without that, they could never be secure about their grip on Algeria
(E) never would their grip on Algeria be secure if they did not hold it

This question has been already disscused many times on forum but I have one question. The OG guide has explaination for D is " It, not that , should be used to refer back to Morocco". Is it true in all cases ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Can that refer back to pronoun in earlier part of sentence.. [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 18:49
The word "that" is used to refer to a concept--in this case, it feels like it would actually refer to "strategic proximity".

"I love him." That is what I said. That refers to the phrase. I can't say for sure that it is ALWAYS this way, but generally that replaces a phrase or a concept, not an object.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can that refer back to pronoun in earlier part of sentence.. [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 19:01
This post received
KUDOS
machichi wrote:
The word "that" is used to refer to a concept--in this case, it feels like it would actually refer to "strategic proximity".

"I love him." That is what I said. That refers to the phrase. I can't say for sure that it is ALWAYS this way, but generally that replaces a phrase or a concept, not an object.

Thanks for your response but does not look like that it is always true. I just found below defination for that and it as pronoun. I know OG author won't be wrong but would like to understand that can we generalize this idea or it is just applicable in few instances :?:

Pronoun that :
1.(used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, etc., as pointed out or present, mentioned before, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis): That is her mother. After that we saw each other.
2.(used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., already mentioned, referring to the one more remote in place, time, or thought; opposed to this ): This is my sister and that's my cousin.
3.(used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., already mentioned, implying a contrast or contradistinction; opposed to this ): This suit fits better than that.
4.(used as the subject or object of a relative clause, especially one defining or restricting the antecedent, sometimes replaceable by who, whom, or which ): the horse that he bought.
5.(used as the object of a preposition, with the preposition standing at the end of a relative clause): the farm that I spoke of.

Pronoun IT
1.(used to represent an inanimate thing understood, previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context): It has whitewall tires and red upholstery. You can't tell a book by its cover.
2.(used to represent a person or animal understood, previously mentioned, or about to be mentioned whose gender is unknown or disregarded): It was the largest ever caught off the Florida coast. Who was it? It was John. The horse had its saddle on.
3.(used to represent a group understood or previously mentioned): The judge told the jury it must decide two issues.
4.(used to represent a concept or abstract idea understood or previously stated): It all started with Adam and Eve. He has been taught to believe it all his life.
5.(used to represent an action or activity understood, previously mentioned, or about to be mentioned): Since you don't like it, you don't have to go skiing.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

CAT Tests
Re: Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 03:54
Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, Morocco was also of interest to the French throughout the first half of the twentieth century because they assumed that if they did not hold it, their grip on Algeria was always insecure.

D : ........Because French (THEY) assumed THAT.......... without THAT......... ( Does this sent at all makes sense?),

Thus not a genralisation but contextually THAT here simply doesn't work ..................... and IT comes into the picture to refer back to Morocco.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 251

Kudos [?]: 1381 [0], given: 245

Re: Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 06:46
Expert's post
What happens between the use of that and it, as I see, is that while – that- could be used only in places where you can physically point one or the other, usually the distant thing, such as only in conversations with someone else; to that extent, the more informal usage of the demonstrative pronoun is not usable interchangeably with - it-
Hence the concept cited by GMATPrep in this case is universal, IMO. This is a general point, and save for the disclaimer that there may be some odd cases, where this rule may be breached,of which I am not aware.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 23:41
1.(used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, etc., as pointed out or present, mentioned before, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis): That is her mother. After that we saw each other.
2.(used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., already mentioned, referring to the one more remote in place, time, or thought; opposed to this ): This is my sister and that's my cousin.

those things are incorrect on gmat. sory

on gmat, "this"/"that" is never used as stand alone pronoun. Ron said.

there pronouns are used in paralel strucuture to refer to a noun in previous phrase. the noun refered is different from the noun in previous phrase

my spirit to learn gmat is good, and that of my friend is good aslo.

"that" refers to "spirit of my friend" which is different from the spirit of mine

on the other hand, "it" pronoun is different. "it" refer to the same thing which appear in the previous phrase

my spirit to learn gmat is good; it is high

"it" refers to total "my spirit to learn gmat"
we can not say
my spirit to learn gmat is good; that is high
above sentend is wrong on gmat though correct in general English.

come back to the problem
Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, Morocco was also of interest to the French throughout the first half of the twentieth century because they assumed that// if they did not hold it, their grip on Algeria was always insecure.//
(A) if they did not hold it, their grip on Algeria was always insecure
(B) without it their grip on Algeria would never be secure
(C) their grip on Algeria was not ever secure if they did not hold it
(D) without that, they could never be secure about their grip on Algeria
(E) never would their grip on Algeria be secure if they did not hold it

this is great question.
according to above analysis, "that" in D is wrong.
in E, inverted "would" is wrong. there is no this structure on general grammar.

the problem I doubt is about A and C

because the authou assumed, we need hypathetical sentence "if did, would do" . there is no "would" in A and C. Wrong.

the pattern in A and C dose exist but is used to say about past observation, which is not the case in the question. for example,

if in the past, any one passed gmat, he/she get hight scholarship

this is correct sentence but this pattern is wrong in the posted problem

pls, comment/supplement/modify the above thinking. Thank you
Re: Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar,   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2013, 23:41