Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Afraid to take my second full length exam

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Afraid to take my second full length exam [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 13:37
I know, I know... its JUST a practice exam! Then why am I so terrified of taking it?

I took my first GMAT practice exam from mba.com about a month ago. Scored a 530. Sad but also happy at the time as this is higher than my score when I took the exam 6 years ago!

I have since gone through the Kaplan Premier book and was able to answer all of the practice sets with 70% accuracy ... not that this means anything. I feel like I have a better grasp of the exam. I studied about 2 hours every week day and 8-10 hours every weekend.

I am about to commence a course with Manhattan GMAT (not to be confused with Manhattan Review ... thanks bb!). Before the class starts I need to take one of their CAT exams... and here I am a week of procrastination later and nothing. I just cannot bring myself to take it because anything under 600 will discourage me from studying futher.

Someone slap some sense into me!

Reward wisdom with kudos

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 578 [1] , given: 114

Re: Afraid to take my second full length exam [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 14:01
This post received
KUDOS
Well I will have to admit I felt the same way before EVERY practice exam. It was funny b/c I knew that practice exams were exactly where I wanted to be. I hadn't completed my studying, so the practice exam was the perfect place to mess up (of course I wanted to get 700s on every practice test). But here is the thing, it makes sense that you'd be stressed/afraid to take it. It basically has implications about how you will feel about your studying for the next week or two until you take another.

You have to remember that this is just studying. You have to take it as exactly that. It is the best place to be if you havn't completed your studying yet. Sooo, there's a few things to remember:

1. The GMAT is a rollercoaster ride.
Your emotions will go up and down with however you're doing with your studying that week, day, or even hour. Just don't let it get you discouraged, stressed, or afraid b/c it will only get in the way of your studying. Try to take the rollercoaster ride aspect out of it, and be a cold trained killer. Do what you have to do to take the next step towards your goal.
2. The practice exam is your friend.
Where else do you want to be? I sure as heck know you don't want to be in the exam center yet. So stop procrastinating and look at the practice exam as your friend. Another opportunity towards your goal.
3. Visualize success.
Everytime I was afraid of a practice exam I would visualize finishing the practice exam and seeing the score I wanted, pumping my fist, and being happy the whole rest of the week. Use this visualization as motivation to forge ahead with your class.
4. Take the full length test (with AWA).
This will help with your stamina now so you don't have to worry about it on test day.
5. Set mini goals.
You don't have to score your goal on every practice test. In fact, you don't have to score your goal on any of them. My goal was a 700, and I didn't hit that until test day. I took 7 practice tests ranging from 570 to my final at 690. Then finaly a 710 on test day. So I set mini goals for each test. It was either a score I wanted to see (in the 600s knowing i hadn't completed my studying) or was a score in a certain section, or really concentrating on my timing or other area to help with the test as a whole.

Goood luck! I've seen you around the forums, and can tell your dedicated. It is normal to be scared or stressed b/c it means a lot to you. It means a lot to everyone. But the true killers out there put those feelings aside and move forward to their goal. If you want to be a GMAT killer, KILL KILL KILL, and do what you need to do to reach your goals.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: Afraid to take my second full length exam [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2011, 07:13
Thank you for that... took the exam this am... 70 point improvement in a month... hit 600 on the nose... high hopes to further improve given that my prep course is about to begin and I will dedicate more time to studying :)

::Fist Pump::

Reward wisdom with kudos

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 578 [0], given: 114

Re: Afraid to take my second full length exam [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2011, 07:50
Re: Afraid to take my second full length exam   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2011, 07:50