Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

African American Male Profile Evaluation Request - 730 GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.17
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

African American Male Profile Evaluation Request - 730 GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 05:52
This post received
KUDOS
A few years back, I posted my stats without a GMAT score just to gauge my chances at a top 10 program. Well I now have a GMAT score of 730(46Q, 44V) and a little under two years of experience, and would like to better understand the range of schools that I should consider.

Graduated with 3.17 gpa in Chemical Engineering from smaller private university(Few extracurriculars). Currently have two years of experience as business analyst for a top multinational oil company(think Chevron, Shell, ExxonMobil), and have had leadership positions within a few organizations within my company. I plan on applying to schools in 2014, and hope to matriculate in Fall 2015.

I do understand that my GPA is on the low side, and hope that my GMAT score/work experience can help offset that. I plan on applying to HBS, Kellogg, Tuck, Haas, and Ross. In your opinion, does my GMAT put these programs out of reach? Also are there any other programs that you recommend that I consider? Post GMAT, I am interested in management consulting, as well as strategy positions in alternative energy.

I appreciate any advice that you can offer.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: African American Male Profile Evaluation Request - 730 GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 19:12
Expert's post
Hi chemE42:

Basically, your 730 GMAT score is good enough to get in to any top 10 and the program and you are also a member of the 40/40 club. What I like most is that it is evenly distributed – so you know your math and you have a good grasp on comprehending the nuances of a reading passage, for example.

What I find particularly interesting about what I read is this – I believe that you may suffer from underestimating your abilities. However, take that statement with a grain of salt because - well - we just met. For example, your GPA is not low for a chemical engineering major. I wouldn't expect that it would be if top of the class, but a 3.17 GPA is nothing to take lightly. Remember, not all GPAs are created equal. So when you look at the average GPA for any top business school, the statistic is misleading. I'm going to go out on limb here as a mechanical engineering graduate myself. Call me crazy, but it is much harder to get a 3.17 and chemical engineering, than it is in Classic Greek Literature. Additionally, not all engineering degrees are created equal. I remember that some of the darker days of my youth were spent studying organic chemistry, and even classes like Properties of Polymers. Hold on - I just puked a little. Anyway, I remember the engineering pecking order of difficulty being something like this – nuclear > chemical > electrical > mechanical > industrial > engineering management. Given the relatively standardized curriculums across any credited engineering programs, there will be little room for grade manipulation or inflation. So the bottom line is that your degree is a desirable one for any business school program to have and to hold.

Now, when you start throwing me your management experiences within the oil and gas industry, along with any rate personal leadership stories you may have, your candidacy begins to look very compelling to any top 10 business school. I know corporate rotation programs may have you on the run, but make sure you take a timeout to pursue other interests within the office – from leading an off-site team bonding initiative to organizing a group or African-American Engineers at Chevron, etc.

BTW, any top 10 business school will help you get your foot in the door at a top management consulting firm. If you want to look toward sustainability and resource productivity, I would focus on schools like Kellogg, Ross, Duke, Tuck, Stanford GSB and Haas. UCLA is a backup, so is Cornell. The thing about applying to backup schools is that they often throw a crapload scholarship money at you.
Anyway, you sound like you have your stuff together. If you would like to discuss your background further, please mail me at MBA@amerasiaconsulting.com.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

chemE42 wrote:
A few years back, I posted my stats without a GMAT score just to gauge my chances at a top 10 program. Well I now have a GMAT score of 730(46Q, 44V) and a little under two years of experience, and would like to better understand the range of schools that I should consider.

Graduated with 3.17 gpa in Chemical Engineering from smaller private university(Few extracurriculars). Currently have two years of experience as business analyst for a top multinational oil company(think Chevron, Shell, ExxonMobil), and have had leadership positions within a few organizations within my company. I plan on applying to schools in 2014, and hope to matriculate in Fall 2015.

I do understand that my GPA is on the low side, and hope that my GMAT score/work experience can help offset that. I plan on applying to HBS, Kellogg, Tuck, Haas, and Ross. In your opinion, does my GMAT put these programs out of reach? Also are there any other programs that you recommend that I consider? Post GMAT, I am interested in management consulting, as well as strategy positions in alternative energy.

I appreciate any advice that you can offer.

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton