Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

African American Male Profile Evaluation Request - 730 GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.17
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

African American Male Profile Evaluation Request - 730 GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 05:54
A few years back, I posted my stats without a GMAT score just to gauge my chances at a top 10 program. Well I now have a GMAT score of 730(46Q, 44V) and a little under two years of experience, and would like to better understand the range of schools that I should consider.

Graduated with 3.17 gpa in Chemical Engineering from smaller private university(Few extracurriculars). Currently have two years of experience as business analyst for a top multinational oil company(think Chevron, Shell, ExxonMobil), and have had leadership positions within a few organizations within my company. I plan on applying to schools in 2014, and hope to matriculate in Fall 2015.

I do understand that my GPA is on the low side, and hope that my GMAT score/work experience can help offset that. I plan on applying to HBS, Kellogg, Tuck, Haas, and Ross. In your opinion, does my GMAT put these programs out of reach? Also are there any other programs that you recommend that I consider? Post GMAT, I am interested in management consulting, as well as strategy positions in alternative energy.

I appreciate any advice that you can offer.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 0

Re: African American Male Profile Evaluation Request - 730 GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 20:18
If you're not applying for another 2 years, there's not much to say at this point. Everything seems to be on track. Don't worry about selecting schools this early - your opinions on schools will be fluid and ever-changing throughout this process, and there's no need to lock in this early (in fact, it can be counterproductive to lock and load so early - becoming too fixated on one thing that isn't really as crucial as what's in front of you - learning as much as you can and accomplishing as much as you can in your current job).

At this point, it's really a matter of perspective more than trying to get into the mindset of execution or even where you stand. Think of b-school as an *option* and not a necessity/integral part to your career. And when I say "career" I don't mean "management consulting" as some endgame. Your career is more about gaining valuable experience and exposure to people, processes, industries, skillsets, etc. that accumulate over a lifetime - it's not *one* thing that will be a game changer.

Also, keep an open enough mind, allowing yourself to adjust and change. You may find yourself in a position in 1-2 years where you don't want an MBA after all. It's a balance between being focused and open minded.

That doesn't really answer your question about your chances to a top b-school, but to be honest that is irrelevant at this point.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: African American Male Profile Evaluation Request - 730 GMAT   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2012, 20:18