Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 431 [3] , given: 0

After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

70% (03:06) correct 30% (02:29) wrong based on 517 sessions
After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run south along the river, turn around, and return to the parking lot, running north along the same path. After running 3.25 miles south, he decides to run for only 50 minutes more. If Bob runs at a constant rate of 8 minutes per mile, how many miles farther south can he run and still be able to return to the parking lot in 50 minutes?

(A) 1.5
(B) 2.25
(C) 3.0
(D) 3.25
(E) 4.75
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
14 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28940 [14] , given: 2871

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Walkabout wrote:
After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run south along the river, turn around, and return to the parking lot, running north along the same path. After running 3.25 miles south, he decides to run for only 50 minutes more. If Bob runs at a constant rate of 8 minutes per mile, how many miles farther south can he run and still be able to return to the parking lot in 50 minutes?

(A) 1.5
(B) 2.25
(C) 3.0
(D) 3.25
(E) 4.75

Bob runs at a constant rate of 8 minutes per mile, thus in 50 minutes he can cover 50/8=6.25 miles.

Therefore the total round-trip distance Bob covers is 3.25+6.25=9.5 miles.

Half of that distance he runs south, so he runs 9.5/2=4.75 miles south, and since he has already run 3.25 miles, then he can run 4.75-3.25=1.5 miles farther south .

Answer; A.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 22:02
How do we know that he ran half the distance south ? Thanks

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 04:52
This post received
KUDOS
Walkabout wrote:

(A) 1.5
(B) 2.25
(C) 3.0
(D) 3.25
(E) 4.75

shahir16 wrote:

Hi Shair. The question states that Bob will run south along the river and then turn around to return to the parking lot. Since there are only two legs to the journey, namely south and back, this implies that Bob will run half the total distance south.

Hope that helps.
Jesse
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q0 V0
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 57 [4] , given: 31

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 06:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rate of 8min per mile implies to cover 3.25 miles it has taken Bob 3.25*8mins = 26mins

Total time for the entire round trip is 26+50 = 76mins, so half way is covered in 38mins. If Bob has already travelled 26mins then the remaining time for one way is 12mins.

In 12mins Bob travels \frac{12}{8} = 1.5 miles

Last edited by nave on 13 Sep 2013, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 8

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 20:25
This post received
KUDOS
JesseWhelan wrote:
Walkabout wrote:

(A) 1.5
(B) 2.25
(C) 3.0
(D) 3.25
(E) 4.75

shahir16 wrote:

Hi Shair. The question states that Bob will run south along the river and then turn around to return to the parking lot. Since there are only two legs to the journey, namely south and back, this implies that Bob will run half the total distance south.

Hope that helps.
Jesse

Another method :Solve through equations.
Total remaining distance ,Dsouth + Dnorth = 50/8 = 6.25 miles
(1): 3.25 + Dsouth = Dnorth
(2): Dnorth + Dsouth = 6.25

Solve (1) and (2) i.e (1) + (2) => 3.25 + 2*Dsouth = 6.25 => Dsouth = 3/2= 1.5 miles
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 20

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 12:27
another way to solve this:

Let x be the extra mile that bob can run and make it in 50 mins back to the parking.
So while returning he has to travel (x+3.25) miles
Total distance = 2x+3.25 miles
time equation = (2x+3.25)miles*8mins/miles = 50 mins
solving for x, we get it as 1.5 miles
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 05:35
Bob has only 50 minutes to complete the whole run. With rate of 8 minutes/mile the distance he can cover is 50/8 mile.

We can picture the path as follow

Running south
<-------3.25 miles--------><---- d = ? ----->

Running north back to origin
<-------3.25 miles--------><------- d ------->

From this we can conclude if he want to go back to his first point the distance would be d + d + 3.25.

Because he only has 50/8 mile left, we can make equation as follows d+d+3.25 = 50/8; 2d+3.25 = 6.25 --> d=1.5
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
WE: Architecture (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 12:25
1. He runs 3.25 mile down the south.
2. Then he runs 6.25miles in 50 min. (i.e. 50/8).
So he runs 3.0 miles in North direction. (6.25 total - 3.25 south).
Hence his one-way trip in North is 1.5miles. (3.0/2).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 21:53
He runs 3.25 south.
Now we know he has only 6.25-3.25 to run (as 3.25 is already reserved for going back to the parking lot)
so we have 3 miles left, to get back to where he is now.... divide that by 2, and get 1.5 left in each direction

Last edited by ronr34 on 28 Aug 2014, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 134

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 19:07

If bob runs at a constant 8 minutes/mile, then he will have ran for 26 minutes by the time he travels 3.25 miles. If he decided to run for another 50 minutes that means he traveled for 76 minutes total, half of which will be spent going south and the other half, going north. 76/2 = 38. 38/8 = 4.75...the distance he traveled from north to south then from south to north again. 4.75-3.25 = 1.5 (the distance he will travel past 3.25 miles before he turns around.

(A) 1.5
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 00:23
Pls confirm if both the below formula is correct :
1. Rate*time = distance, where rate is expressed as distance per unit time
2. Rate*distance= time, where rate is expressed as time per unit distance

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 02:34
kshitij89 wrote:
Pls confirm if both the below formula is correct :
1. Rate*time = distance, where rate is expressed as distance per unit time
2. Rate*distance= time, where rate is expressed as time per unit distance

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Kshitij89,

This is a bit worrisome that you are asking about these formulas. You don't need to remember and you shouldn't rely on these formulas.

The dependence on formulas indicate that you probably don't understand the basis of these formulas because once you understand the basis or the fundamentals, the need for the formulas goes away.

We know that rate in this question is used as a synonym for speed.

We know that speed = distance/time

So, distance = speed*time OR rate*time

If you change the definition of rate, of course the formula will change. However, for sure, you don't need to remember the formula, you just need to understand the basis from where the formula is coming from.

For example, the formula: distance = rate*time is coming directly from the definition of speed (or rate). Once you understand this, you don't need to remember this formula.

You just need to know speed is defined as distance/time and I think remembering this would be very natural to you unlike other formulas.

Math is about common sense and an interpretation or representation of reality. It is not at all about dead formulas and equations.

AEL
Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 06:33
Hi AEL,

Thanks for your reply.

My confusion was in context to the present question as here the rate was expressed as 'time/distance'. I was not able to apply the general formula though was able to solve by deciphering the sentences.

So I was really confused as how the formula is used here. Hope you understand what I meant. Let me know if you have any further explanation which will help me out.

Regards
Kshitij
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 22:31
This post received
KUDOS
kshitij89 wrote:
Hi AEL,

Thanks for your reply.

My confusion was in context to the present question as here the rate was expressed as 'time/distance'. I was not able to apply the general formula though was able to solve by deciphering the sentences.

So I was really confused as how the formula is used here. Hope you understand what I meant. Let me know if you have any further explanation which will help me out.

Regards
Kshitij

Hi Kshitij,

Got you :)

If you are able to solve a question just by understanding the sentences, then you are good enough :) No need to worry about the formulas.

Now, as you said, in this case, the rate was defined as

Rate = time/distance.

Now, if you multiple both sides by distance, you get

Rate*distance = time.

Why did you have any doubt about this formula?

AEL
Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 09:00
Hi AEL,

The general formula is Rate*Time = Distance whereas the one used is different. So I was stuck in the ambiguity of the formula as how can the general formula be wrong :)

Thanks
Kshitij
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 23

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 10:59
Is there a location where I can find similar very very wordy problems? Not necessarily rate related, but those are fine as well.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 11:28
For the first 3.25 miles, Bob takes 3.25x8=26minutes

Say he runs 'x' miles further south. So the total distance he covers is (3.25+2x+3.25) in (50+26) minutes
So we have 6.5+2x=76/8 => x=1.5

Answer A
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28940 [0], given: 2871

Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2014, 11:14
Expert's post
russ9 wrote:
Is there a location where I can find similar very very wordy problems? Not necessarily rate related, but those are fine as well.

Check Word Problems in our Questions Banks: viewforumtags.php

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 81

CAT Tests
Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 04:41
Walkabout wrote:

(A) 1.5
(B) 2.25
(C) 3.0
(D) 3.25
(E) 4.75

8 minutes /mile for 50 minutes then for 50 minutes he ran for 6.25 miles.

6.25 also cover the distance 3.25 which he already covered . 6.25-3.25 = 3

after 3.25, his to & fro has to be 3/2 =1.5..

question took lot of time to understand. once i imagine the scenario , i got it
Re: After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2014, 04:41