Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After evidence was obtained in the 1920s that the universe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
7 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 134 [7] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
After evidence was obtained in the 1920s that the universe [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 01:15
This post received
KUDOS
After evidence was obtained in the 1920s that the universe is expanding, it became reasonable
to ask: Will the universe continue to expand indefinitely, or is there enough mass in it for the mutual attraction of its constituents to bring this expansion to a halt? It can be calculated that the critical density of matter needed to brake the expansion and “close” the universe is equivalent to three hydrogen atoms per cubic meter. But the density of the observable universe—luminous matter in the form of galaxies—comes to only a fraction of this. If the expansion of the universe is to stop, there must be enough invisible matter in the universe to exceed the luminous matter in density by a factor of roughly 70.

Our contribution to the search for this “missing matter” has been to study the rotational velocity of galaxies at various distances from their center
of rotation. It has been known for some time that outside the bright nucleus of a typical spiral galaxy luminosity falls off rapidly with distance from the center. If luminosity were a true indicator of mass, most of the mass would be concentrated toward the center. Outside the nucleus the rotational velocity would decrease geometrically with distance from the center, in conformity with Kepler’s law. Instead we have found that the rotational velocity in spiral galaxies either remains constant with increasing distance from the center or increases slightly. This unexpected result indicates that the falloff in luminous mass with distance from the center is balanced by an increase in nonluminous mass.

Our findings suggest that as much as 90 percent of the mass of the universe is not radiating at any wavelength with enough intensity to be detected on the Earth. Such dark matter could be in the form of extremely dim stars of low mass, of large planets like Jupiter, or of black holes, either small or massive. While it has not yet been determined whether this mass is sufficient to close the universe, some physicists consider it significant that estimates are converging on the critical value.[/size]
115. The passage is primarily concerned with
(A) defending a controversial approach
(B) criticizing an accepted view
(C) summarizing research findings
(D) contrasting competing theories
(E) describing an innovative technique
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

116. The authors’ study indicates that, in comparison with the outermost regions of a typical spiral galaxy, the region just outside the nucleus can be characterized as having
(A) higher rotational velocity and higher luminosity
(B) lower rotational velocity and higher luminosity
(C) lower rotational velocity and lower luminosity
(D) similar rotational velocity and higher luminosity
(E) similar rotational velocity and similar luminosity
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

117. The authors’ suggestion that “as much as 90 percent of the mass of the universe is not radiating at any wavelength with enough intensity to be detected on the Earth” (lines 34–37) would be most weakened if which of the following were discovered to be true?
(A) Spiral galaxies are less common than types of galaxies that contain little nonluminous matter.
(B) Luminous and nonluminous matter are composed of the same basic elements.
(C) The bright nucleus of a typical spiral galaxy also contains some nonluminous matter.
(D) The density of the observable universe is greater than most previous estimates have suggested.
(E) Some galaxies do not rotate or rotate too slowly for their rotational velocity to be measured.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

118. It can be inferred from information presented in the passage that if the density of the universe were equivalent to significantly less than three hydrogen atoms per cubic meter, which of the following would be true as a consequence?
(A) Luminosity would be a true indicator of mass.
(B) Different regions in spiral galaxies would rotate at the same velocity.
(C) The universe would continue to expand indefinitely.
(D) The density of the invisible matter in the universe would have to be more than 70 times the density of the luminous matter.
(E) More of the invisible matter in spiral galaxies would have to be located in their nuclei than in their outer regions.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

119. The authors propose all of the following as possibly contributing to the “missing matter” in spiral galaxies EXCEPT
(A) massive black holes
(B) small black holes
(C) small, dim stars
(D) massive stars
(E) large planets
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

My take and approach with OEs are here..
[Reveal] Spoiler:
115,,,C..by PoE...easy..
116..D..easy
117..Misread the Q..got wrong..OA says..A...Correct. The authors’ conclusion assumes that spiral galaxies are typical of all galaxies;information calling that assumption into question weakens the argument.
118.....again misread the Q
119..straight D

Last edited by nitya34 on 31 Aug 2009, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 04:56
I took 6 minutes, so guessing most of my answers are wrong :(

here are my answers
E,D,E,C,E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 05:12
My answers : CDADD
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 06:11
my answers: CDDCE
Director
Director
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 07:46
Posted the OAs alongwith the original post...i will try to post the OEs in few inference Qs

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 14:12
115. C
116. A -- Incorrect (D)
117. D -- Incorrect (A)
118. D -- Incorrect (C)
119. D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 10:16
This OG RC passage has the first two questions on which I don't agree with the OA.

Passage says: Velocity either remains constant with increasing distance from the center or increases slightly.
Question: compare "outermost regions" vs "region just outside the nucleus".
=> "region just outside the nucleus" could have either similar or lower velocity.
=> Both B and D could be right; a case for D has strong foundations given that we are comparing the "region just outside the nucleus" with the "outermost region" -> greatest possible distance withing the galaxy.

OA is A. I believe A is wrong. Explanation:
"Galaxies that contain little nonluminous matter" = dark matter (in the form of either dim stars, black holes or large planets). Thus, spiral galaxies being less common than "obscure" galaxies does not weaken the suggestion that "as much as 90 percent of the mass of the universe is not radiating at any wavelength with enough intensity to be detected on the Earth".
D is the best answer. If the density of the observable universe (small fraction) is increased, that 90% would be lower; increase the fraction significantly, and you can have an observable reduction in that 90%.

Please kudos if my post helps.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 21:39
115.c
116.a
117.a
118.c
119.e
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 311

CAT Tests
Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 22:06
CDACD

One Final Try.......

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 463 [0], given: 523

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 07:49
this RC passage was hard for me. :evil:

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 01:46
I agree, question 116 is clearly ambiguous.

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 15:25
I think the questions could be worded somewhat better but my answers were:
D, C, E, D, D

Reduce, reuse, recycle your old fax machine in favor of an internet fax service.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: RC -universe is expanding [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 12:18
in #117, why is C incorrect?
Intern
Intern

Re: Source:OG 12 After evidence was obtained in the 1920s that [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 15:42
Took 10 minutes but got only 1 wrong. I think I just got lucky with the answer choices. :-D

Does anybody have a good explanation for 117?
Intern
Intern

Re: After evidence was obtained in the 1920s that the universe [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 07:16
Answer of question 118: The universe would continue to expand indefinitely.
Isn't the passage gives a limit to expand, so doesn't "indefinitely" makes it wrong?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: None
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: After evidence was obtained in the 1920s that the universe [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 09:01
My answers.
C,D ,B,C,D.

Got 1 wrong. :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 197

Re: After evidence was obtained in the 1920s that the universe [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 21:10
Couldn't get Q117..Can some give a detailed explanation please

Kudos please if you find my post useful..

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 481 [2] , given: 196

Re: After evidence was obtained in the 1920s that the universe [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 21:35
This post received
KUDOS
akankshasoneja wrote:

hi

117. The authors’ suggestion that “as much as 90 percent of the mass of the universe is not radiating at any wavelength with enough intensity to be detected on the Earth” (lines 34–37) would be most weakened if which of the following were discovered to be true?
(A) Spiral galaxies are less common than types of galaxies that contain little nonluminous matter.
(C) The bright nucleus of a typical spiral galaxy also contains some nonluminous matter.
(D) The density of the observable universe is greater than most previous estimates have suggested.
(E) Some galaxies do not rotate or rotate too slowly for their rotational velocity to be measured.

see the author is concluding:
Our findings suggest that as much as 90 percent of the mass of the universe is not radiating at any wavelength with enough intensity to be detected on the Earth.
(last para 1st line)
what is the basis of this conclusion:

It has been known for some time that outside the bright nucleus of a typical spiral galaxy luminosity falls off rapidly with distance from the center. If luminosity were a true indicator of mass, most of the mass would be concentrated toward the center. Outside the nucleus the rotational velocity would decrease geometrically with distance from the center, in conformity with Kepler’s law. Instead we have found thatthe rotational velocity in spiral galaxies either remains constant with increasing distance from the center or increases slightly.This unexpected result indicates that the falloff in luminous mass with distance from the center is balanced by an increase in nonluminous mass.

so author experiment is onTYPICAL galaxy ==>some results came==>then he concluded.
see the flaw is he is considering only a limited source of galaxy and generalising for whole universe.

so the ultimate weakener that is option B:
Spiral galaxies are less common than types of galaxies that contain little nonluminous matter.
SO this is saying that typical spiral galaxy are less number hence whatever conclusion author is trying to make can be wrong.

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 197

Re: After evidence was obtained in the 1920s that the universe [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 09:03
blueseas wrote:
akankshasoneja wrote:

hi

see the author is concluding:
Our findings suggest that as much as 90 percent of the mass of the universe is not radiating at any wavelength with enough intensity to be detected on the Earth.
(last para 1st line)
what is the basis of this conclusion:

It has been known for some time that outside the bright nucleus of a typical spiral galaxy luminosity falls off rapidly with distance from the center. If luminosity were a true indicator of mass, most of the mass would be concentrated toward the center. Outside the nucleus the rotational velocity would decrease geometrically with distance from the center, in conformity with Kepler’s law. Instead we have found thatthe rotational velocity in spiral galaxies either remains constant with increasing distance from the center or increases slightly.This unexpected result indicates that the falloff in luminous mass with distance from the center is balanced by an increase in nonluminous mass.

so author experiment is onTYPICAL galaxy ==>some results came==>then he concluded.
see the flaw is he is considering only a limited source of galaxy and generalising for whole universe.

so the ultimate weakener that is option B:
Spiral galaxies are less common than types of galaxies that contain little nonluminous matter.
SO this is saying that typical spiral galaxy are less number hence whatever conclusion author is trying to make can be wrong.

hope it helps

yes it did...thanks...:)

Kudos please if you find my post useful..

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 12

Re: After evidence was obtained in the 1920s that the universe [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 07:36
Completed within 10mins with 1 wrong. :x :x

Though I got 117 correct using POE :!: I would like to know the definite rationale to eliminate option D.:?:

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Re: After evidence was obtained in the 1920s that the universe   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2013, 07:36