Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Re: After graduating from a part time program... [#permalink]
yeah you can write MBA X-school on your resume, but than the fact that you have worked full time during your MBA studies (the work experience section on your resume) will show to the recruiters that you did not go to MBA full time
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Darden2010 wrote:
yeah you can write MBA X-school on your resume, but than the fact that you have worked full time during your MBA studies (the work experience section on your resume) will show to the recruiters that you did not go to MBA full time

What if you didn't work during school?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
at the end of the day, in your resume you just write MBA (year) (school) and that's it.

if you were obviously working during that time, they may assume that you were in an executive or part time program.

if they ask, don't lie. you may need to educate them that the executive or part time program is the same as the full time program, etc. but if they don't already know this, they probably won't believe you. hopefully this will get better over time.

if you weren't working, then they probably won't know but if you're not working, why not go to a full time program? you'll pay less money, get more immersed, and overall probably have a better experience?

RVD.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:

Then I guess you have a trust fund so it doesn't matter? :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
Can you not work and still get admitted to a part time program? I think there was a thread on this recently and the consensus was no, you generally can't.

Moreover, does the NYU part-time MBA degree make no reference to Langone? Their full-time and part-time programs have distinct names - "The Stern MBA" and "The Langone Program," respectively. So it seems to me a few schools *do* try to differentiate between them. So to claim an MBA from "Stern" on your resume when you are a participant in the Langone program, would that not be misleading?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sure you can. You get accepted to the school and quit your job. Most PT programs would allow this. At least the "local"/"regional" ones. I had one in mind as a backup (Seattle U) where I would do the "part time" in 2 years by taking classes every day. Basically I would have created a simulated full-time program.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
westsider - why would you want to do that though?

if you're not generating income by way of being employed full-time and still spending the 2 years a full-time MBA would take to complete, why consider a part-time program over its full-time variant at all?

westsider wrote:
Sure you can. You get accepted to the school and quit your job. Most PT programs would allow this. At least the "local"/"regional" ones. I had one in mind as a backup (Seattle U) where I would do the "part time" in 2 years by taking classes every day. Basically I would have created a simulated full-time program.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
That was my "just in case I dont get into any schools" - I could stay local and still get my degree in 2 years. Maybe get a low-quality job. Trust me.. .NOT my first choice . Or my second. About 10 choices after my last choice to be honest! :twisted:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
westsider wrote:
kidderek wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:

Then I guess you have a trust fund so it doesn't matter? :-D

hahaha I wish. I was just considering hypotheticals.

Stern's pamphlet clearly states that you should be working while doing the Langone program. Though, they don't make any overt threats about any ramifications of not being employed.

I do know of some part timers who are not working.

solaris1 wrote:
Moreover, does the NYU part-time MBA degree make no reference to Langone? Their full-time and part-time programs have distinct names - "The Stern MBA" and "The Langone Program," respectively. So it seems to me a few schools *do* try to differentiate between them. So to claim an MBA from "Stern" on your resume when you are a participant in the Langone program, would that not be misleading?

Re: Langone Program -- I don't believe it does. The degree is an NYU MBA. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for the misleading part: it might be misleading, however, the school is an ACTIVE participant. There are numerous (I can't say for certain all, but I'm sure it's all) schools that go out of their way to say that their PT/executive MBA is the same as the full time MBA and that all of the students get the same degree. In fact, that's their selling point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
I’m currently in the MBA Working Professionals Track (yeah, they just changed the name from PT MBA) at OSU Fisher and I know several people who are not working and just taking more classes. I did ask someone why they didn’t just go for the full-time program and their response was that the PT would be quicker if they were taking a full-time class load because they eliminate many of the prerequisites.

For example, in the FT program, if you never took undergrad econ, stats, etc. you’d have to take those classes before you could take the MBA versions. Of course, the big stickler is that you’d be taking those undergrad level classes at graduate school prices. However, since the PT MBA assumes that you have more practical experience, they don’t require those prerequisites.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the good info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
After the graduation part-time/online MBA best option. Many universities are offering online/distance programs across the world.
GMAT Club Bot