Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Re: After long layoff, what should I do first? [#permalink]
If I were you, I’d do the following…

Step 1: Spend a week or two to go over to Official Guide as a refresher.

Step 2: Take a GMAT prep to see where you are.

Step 3: Schedule a test.

If you’re at 700+ on the GMAT prep, schedule the real GMAT asap. If you can get it in before the 15th – 20th of Aug., that would be ideal. This gives you room enough to retake before the Sept deadline, should you need to.

If you’re under 700, then schedule for Sept 10 – 14 and study like hell.

Also, MGMAT cats are awesome at learning to not stress on the GMAT. The math is too hard and convoluted, and the verbal is not accurate, so don’t dwell on the results. However, the MGMAT is more brutal than the real thing, so it builds your stamina.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
yubjun wrote:
Anyway, what should I do to get back into this? What do you guys suggest I start with? At least time is on my side, as I have some time till Spring semester..

Oh, and you do realize that the Langone Spring of '09 deadline is Sept 15th, right? Are you shooting for that, or for fall?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tenore wrote:
yubjun wrote:
Anyway, what should I do to get back into this? What do you guys suggest I start with? At least time is on my side, as I have some time till Spring semester..

Oh, and you do realize that the Langone Spring of '09 deadline is Sept 15th, right? Are you shooting for that, or for fall?

I'm shooting for Spring. Thanks for telling me the deadline date, as I had no idea.

This is my plan:

1) Review OG Edition 11 (which I just ordered).
2) Review MGMAT SC (which I ordered).
3) Start taking GMATclub challenge tests for Quantitative
4) Start taking GMATPrep tests.

Tenore you have a great point though. If I take it and don't do well, I should give enough time for me to retake it. If I do all of the above, it will be November, before I'm ready.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah, that deadline’s right around the corner and those who reapply hear back sooner then the rest… it’s quite possible that you’ll have a spring admissions decision in 2 months or so.

Sounds like your plan is right on target. Just remember not to take the gmat prep too often, too soon, since it’s your best way to evaluate where your ability is. Take test 1 after you feel like you had enough refresher study, then maybe switch to MGMAT cats for a while (you’ll get access to all 6 with the SC guide.) MGMAT cats are not accurate though, so after a few of them, retake gmat prep test 1.

When you feel super ready, take gmat prep test two and pretend it’s the real gmat (do the AWA, enforce the breaks). You’ll learn a lot from your performance in that.

I killed the verbal on the real gmat (99th percentile) and I will tell you that the MGMAT verbal is useless except for timing practice. The questions are nothing like the real gmat. Stick to the OG, mgmat SC book and GMAT prep for gauging your ability in verbal, and just use the mgmat verbal as a stamina builder.

If you post a 680+, you’ll have something strong to talk about on your re-app. If you break 700, you probably get in (assuming you spin it well in your essay).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Is the Spring entry for a 2 year program as well, but for a different start? This is probably a newbie question, but Stern v Langone? Both are NYU right?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
Is the Spring entry for a 2 year program as well, but for a different start? This is probably a newbie question, but Stern v Langone? Both are NYU right?

Langone is just the name of NYU Stern’s part time MBA program. Both are NYU, Both are Stern, both give the same diploma. Kenneth Langone, a part time NYU grad and key player in the start of Home Depot, donated a ton of money to the part-time MBA at Stern, so he gets to have the program named after him.

The Langone program has a both a Fall and Spring start, and separate admission cycles for each. It can be completed in as little as 2 years, but not more then 6 years.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Ah. Thanks for the reply. I saw both names being used and wasn't sure of the distinction between them.

Tenore wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

Langone is just the name of NYU Stern’s part time MBA program. Both are NYU, Both are Stern, both give the same diploma. Kenneth Langone, a part time NYU grad and key player in the start of Home Depot, donated a ton of money to the part-time MBA at Stern, so he gets to have the program named after him.

The Langone program has a both a Fall and Spring start, and separate admission cycles for each. It can be completed in as little as 2 years, but not more then 6 years.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tenore wrote:
Yeah, that deadline’s right around the corner and those who reapply hear back sooner then the rest… it’s quite possible that you’ll have a spring admissions decision in 2 months or so.

Sounds like your plan is right on target. Just remember not to take the gmat prep too often, too soon, since it’s your best way to evaluate where your ability is. Take test 1 after you feel like you had enough refresher study, then maybe switch to MGMAT cats for a while (you’ll get access to all 6 with the SC guide.) MGMAT cats are not accurate though, so after a few of them, retake gmat prep test 1.

When you feel super ready, take gmat prep test two and pretend it’s the real gmat (do the AWA, enforce the breaks). You’ll learn a lot from your performance in that.

I killed the verbal on the real gmat (99th percentile) and I will tell you that the MGMAT verbal is useless except for timing practice. The questions are nothing like the real gmat. Stick to the OG, mgmat SC book and GMAT prep for gauging your ability in verbal, and just use the mgmat verbal as a stamina builder.

If you post a 680+, you’ll have something strong to talk about on your re-app. If you break 700, you probably get in (assuming you spin it well in your essay).

That sounds like the right approach I should take. Thanks man!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just took M01 of the challenge tests.

Got 20/37 which was like 25 percentile :-D

I got long ways to go..
I was surprised I was able to finish the test on time though..I guess my rust was not as bad as I thought it would be..
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts