Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 04 Jul 2015, 12:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After more than four decades of research and development, a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

After more than four decades of research and development, a [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 10:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.

(A) tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two or help

(B) tested that could eventually have the capability of propelling aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or to help

(C) tested, eventually able to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours, or helping

(D) tested, and it eventually could propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours, or helping

(E) tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help

please discuss
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 10:20
A, B --- that doesn't modify correct noun

C, D --- helping not parallel to propel

E it is.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 10:25
mahesh004 wrote:
A, B --- that doesn't modify correct noun

C, D --- helping not parallel to propel

E it is.

vote for (A) .... "that" can refer to jet plane

in (D) "could have the capability " seems redundant
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 10:28
can someone explain how that modifies jet...i seem to miss out on this few times
Director
Director
Followers: 3

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 10:35
This is an adjective clause that modifies the noun closest to it. (At least thats what I thought. I did have the same doubt as you, Mahesh).

Any SC gurus online?? Help! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:jet engine [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 12:51
rkatl wrote:
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.

(A) tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two or help Hours missing here , is it intentional ?

(B) tested that could eventually have the capability of propelling aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or to help

(C) tested, eventually able to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours, or helping

(D) tested, and it eventually could propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours, or helping

(E) tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help

please discuss

Its A

B,C, D out ,no parallelism

E pretty close but ruled out due to wordiness (eventually have the capability to)

In A "hours" is missing, is it itentional ? If it is then its E
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 17:09
a too.

capability to do sth is wrong. it should be capability of doing sth.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 20:36
(A), subjunctive mood, expresses a hypothetical situation.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 21:02
Its got to be A.

(A) tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two or help - Nothing wrong. KEEP.

(B) tested that could eventually have the capability of propelling aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or to help - Not parallel. WRONG

(C) tested, eventually able to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours, or helping - Not parallel. WRONG

(D) tested, and it eventually could propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours, or helping - Not parallel. WRONG

(E) tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help - Close, but its just a wordier version of A. So eliminate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 21:59
isnt (A) missing the hours.
(A) if it is missing
(E) if it is not

A well-balanced person is one who has a drink in each of his hands.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 23:59
sangarelli wrote:
isnt (A) missing the hours.
(A) if it is missing
(E) if it is not

Its gotta be a typo. I always assume that A is the same as the question. I never read it.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 07:21
B,C,D - ruled out because of lack of parallelism
E - wordy

I vote for A too :)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 387 [0], given: 4

Re: SC:jet engine [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 16:00
OA must be E.

THAT is a relative pronoun that restricts the preceding word and starts a subordinated clause.

After more than four decades of research and development,
a new type of jet engine is being tested, and it could eventually have the capability to
propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours
or
help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 16:44
I vote A

that can refer to plane, plus its more concise than E

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 20:34
E for me. Mispleaced modifer of restrictive clause following "that". "Capability of" makes sense (more than the original sentence), and is not wordy.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: SC:jet engine [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 21:58
rkatl wrote:

(A) tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two or help

please discuss

Between A and E, A rules because it is crisp and concise. E unnecessarily uses the coordinating conjunction "and", creating two independent clauses; the second clause has eventually have the capability to which is wordy and awkward.

In A - a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel...

Why was there a confusion on what THAT is modifying i didn't understand. It clearly modifies the jet engine... I don't see what else it can anyway...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:jet engine [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 04:26
rkatl wrote:

please discuss

E for me.

Parallelism rules out B, C, and D.

A is wrong because "that..." modifies "jet engine" not "tested". I think for A to be right it has to be something like this:

After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit is being tested.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 09:42
tennis_ball wrote:
a too.

capability to do sth is wrong. it should be capability of doing sth.

Can you give any reference for this??

I think A is a better choice
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 12:25
I'm in for E.
I feel that the "that" in A modifies the "tested" where it should modify "jet engine". But what do I know...
CEO
CEO
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 387 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 12:35
Relative pronouns
http://grammar.uoregon.edu/pronouns/relative.html

Russian generals have delivered a message that is difficult to ignore.
THAT relates back to the noun MESSAGE and is necessary for the reader to know what MESSAGE the sentence is about.

Clinton will continue to hammer out a historic Mideast pact that bears his stamp.
THAT relates back to the noun PACT and is necessary for the reader to know what PACTthe sentence is about.

There is another factor that obviously boosts the reputation of both of these men.
THAT relates back to the noun FACTOR and is necessary for the reader to know what FACTOR the sentence is about.
  [#permalink] 21 Aug 2007, 12:35

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ]