Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After more than four decades of research and development, a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 2

After more than four decades of research and development, a [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 08:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is
being tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours
or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.
A. tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two
hours or help
B. tested that could eventually have the capability of propelling aircraft anywhere in
the world within two hours or to help
C. tested, eventually able to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours,
or helping
D. tested, and it eventually could propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two
hours or helping
E. tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in
the world within two hours or help
I fell for trap. A? or E? Expln plz
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 13:30
saravalli wrote:
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is
being tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours
or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.
A. tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two
hours or help

E. tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in

E. it the 'new type [of jet engine] could eventually have the capability to propel...or help boost cargoes'
i think the key word is 'have the capability' - the new type can not propel or boost, but rather that the new type will have the capaibility to do so
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 16:40
gmat blows wrote:
saravalli wrote:
hours or help

E. it the 'new type [of jet engine] could eventually have the capability to propel...or help boost cargoes'
i think the key word is 'have the capability' - the new type can not propel or boost, but rather that the new type will have the capaibility to do so

Can you expln how did you eliminate A. Also, sometimes GMATland says 'have the capability ..' is redundant. Thx
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 66

Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 18:42
whats wrong with the original sentence?me too for A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 22:33
Should be A.

E with "eventually have the capability" is redundant.

Whats the OA ?
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 13:20
saravalli wrote:
gmat blows wrote:
saravalli wrote:
hours or help

Can you expln how did you eliminate A. Also, sometimes GMATland says 'have the capability ..' is redundant. Thx

I didnt like the use of 'that' in A because I thought that, 'that' needs to modify the word immediately before it.
However, looking at E again, I do agree that it is wordy/redundant.

whats the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2008, 12:12
Going with E.

Also the reason is below:

hours or help - Here the "or" part is just awkward - it says the jet engine is being tested that could blah blah or the testing could help boost cargoes.

the world within two hours or help - it refers back to the engine and the sentence does two things - its say the Engine could eventually have the capability to:
1. Propel aircarft anywhere in the world within two hours and
2. help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit

Last edited by spider on 23 Apr 2008, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2008, 12:18
suntaurian wrote:
Should be A.

E with "eventually have the capability" is redundant.

Whats the OA ?

Why is "have the capability" redundant

Is the following sentence wrong:

Do you have the capability to do this?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 120 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2008, 13:43
This post received
KUDOS
saravalli wrote:
hours or help
B. tested that could eventually have the capability of propelling aircraft anywhere in
the world within two hours or to help
C. tested, eventually able to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours,
or helping
D. tested, and it eventually could propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two
hours or helping

I actually picked E for this, but let's take a look:

Here is A
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.

I didn't pick A because of "that". "That" needs to modify something and I feel it is at the wrong place. The correct placement should be:
...a new type of jet engine that is being tested could eventually...

Here is E
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in
the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.

I picked this one because I feel that "it" clearly refers to "a new type of jet engine"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 11:12
Can anyone explain in details what are the usage difference between 'that' vs 'It'?
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 11:30
marshpa wrote:
Can anyone explain in details what are the usage difference between 'that' vs 'It'?

I dont think you can directly compare the two. Although both are pronouns, they are functionally different.

'that' is a relative pronoun used to introduce modifying phrases whereas 'it' is a pronoun that takes place of a noun.

in A, the sentence attempts to use 'that' to explain and 'describe' the subject:
'a new type of engine' is being test' -- explains
'[a new type of engine] that could eventually propel..' -- uses 'that' to describe subject

whereas in E, the sentence breaks up the explanation and description into two indepedent clauses:
''a new type of engine is being tested', AND -- expalains
'[a new type of engine] it could eventually have the....' --- uses 'it' to help describe the subject

Hope that helps - please correct me if Im inccorect.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 11:37
hours or help [Hold it]
the world within two hours or to help [ Changes the meaning of the sentence – eliminate it]
or helping [run-on eliminate it]
hours or helping [ it – has referent issue – eliminate it]
the world within two hours or help [ it – has referent issue, eventually have the capability to propel - changes the meaning – eliminate it]

The difference between A and E is - Clarity issue: placement of word
tested that could eventually propel aircraft – describes the engine feature
tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft – implies the engine may or may not have capability as of now but in the end it may – not clear at all

Answer: A
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 372 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC - jet engine [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 18:04
bkk145 wrote:
I didn't pick A because of "that". "That" needs to modify something and I feel it is at the wrong place. The correct placement should be:
...a new type of jet engine that is being tested could eventually...

I like this reasoning, I also found that there is problem with "that" in A, but cannot figure out why it is wrong! Thanks!
Re: SC - jet engine   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2008, 18:04