Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 16:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After moving to Switzerland in the 1890s, Albert Einstein

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 08:47
Seekmba
Thanks... I guess can't apply riles blindly... Howeve I always have trouble understanding the modifier issue... So here receiving and developing are modifying the entire clause you say... What does that really mean? Let's say we had attended received and developed..then do we still have this modifying thing going on there?

seekmba wrote:
the correct option should be either

Einstein attended the school, received in-depth training, and developed a foundation.

OR

Einstein attended the school, receiving in-depth training and developing a foundation --> here the modifier 'receiving' and 'developing' are modifying the entire preceding clause and 'receiving' and 'developing' are parallel

Lets look at the options.

After moving to Switzerland in the 1890’s, Albert Einstein attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing a foundation for his future work in mathematical physics.

(A) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing - CORRECT

(B) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed - not parallel

(C) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he developed - not parallel

(D) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, developing - not parallel

(E) attending the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and developing - awkward

Hope this helps!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 09:04
crejoc wrote:
After moving to Switzerland in the 1890’s, Albert Einstein attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing a foundation for his future work in mathematical physics.

(A) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing
(B) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed
(C) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he developed
(D) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, developing
(E) attending the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and developing

EXPLAIN the correct answer as well as why other options are wrong..

In B)attended and developed are in a list,which seems to suggest that attended and developed are at the same logical level.What i mean is they have equal importance.They dont have anything to do with each other.This changes the meaning of the original sentence which says that AE attended the school by receiving training and developing a foundation
C) same as B.It changes the meaning .Here all the actins are at the same logical level
D)This option changes the meaning as well as violates parallelism rules
E) This sentence lacks a working verb
So A

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 10:07
Hi mainhoon,

When you read the sentence think of it like this...... "As result of attending the Swiss school, Einstien received in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed a foundation for future work"

So the "receiving of training and developing a foundation" happened because Einstein attended the school.

Hence the part after comma "receiving in-depth training and developing a foundation" refers to the entire preceding clause "Albert Einstein attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich".

Now if the sentence were written the way you suggested.... attended, received, and developed...then there would be no modifier issue going on.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 13:35
IMO A
very good question that demonstrates the need to understasnd the meaning and be logical.....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 01:14
sudeep wrote:
Quote:

A) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing
-correct
- gerunds are correct here as 'receiving' and 'developing' happened while he attended the school. 'Gerunds' correctly modifying the preceding clause.
B) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed

C) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he developed
it changes the meaning.

D) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, developing

E) attending the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and developing

Thank you. Your explanation is very clear to me.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 02:02
very good question. thanks for posting this!!!
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 15:43
To me it's no so much about the paralelism as about grammatical rules and structure of the sentence.

(A) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing
This sentence is correct
(B) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed
Comma should be here before and.
(C) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he
developed
He is redundant - without comma and he - I would incline to such answer.
(D) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, developing
This could be correct, but only with and before received. Without and I makes you to expect something more with -ed form, but modifier comes instead.
(E) attending the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and developing
Comma is redundant here.

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 04:59
Reluctantly chose C for parallelism. :( but was wrong. A is actually better
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 06:13
thank you all guys.. i got this q wrong too...

i was thinking.. he did 2 things... 1st he attended the school, then he developed a foundation...

but reading thru the posts i see why B is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Phi Theta Kappa, Dean's list, Chancelors list, Who's Who award, ASCPA
WE 1: Tax

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 09:23
A. Sounds perfect the way it's written.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 20:40
Good question. Got it wrong Chose C blindly, despite of "and he" looking odd.
Agree with A and love the below explanation.

learner wrote:
This Q requires knowledge in ||ism, comma splice and participle modifier

A) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing
- correct 'receiving... and developing ...' acts as participle phrase for the main clause, 'attended the swiss ...'

B) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed

here attended , receiving and developed are not ||.

If I were to correct this option it would have read either

attended the swiss ..., received ... and developed - making the sentence ||

or

attended ... ;receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, he developed... - This case,puntuated with a comma , has 'receiving in-depth training' as participle modifier

C) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he developed - note the comman before and .

The correct form for this option is either

attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed

or

attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich and received in-depth training, and he developed.. - in this case 'and he developed' is a conjunctive clause preceded by a comma, avoiding a comman splice .

D) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, developing - not ||

The correct form would have been

attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich and received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, developing... - in this case 'developing..' acts as a participle phrase . I am not sure whether this would become a dangling modifier.

E) attending the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and developing

- there is no verb and the sentence structure is seriously flawed in this option

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 03:26
A...receiving and developing are consequences for attending(in past) the school, hence they have to be ||.

Working towards a goal...
V.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 21:57
Good explanation gsothee......I thought that Attended and developed are of equal imp so chose B......
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: After moving to Switzerland in the 1890s, Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 20:41
good example of parallelism..thought its see but comma modified the meaning...so its A for me

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: After moving to Switzerland in the 1890s, Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 00:52
Think about it and Explain?
The sentence represents superficial || but for me looks weired.
1. AE attended while he was receiving training....but should be like
He received such training ...while attending that School.
similarly
developed ..foundation while attending the school
not
He attended the school ....developing foundation.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: After moving to Switzerland in the 1890s, Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 06:57
After moving to Switzerland in the 1890’s, Albert Einstein attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing[b][/b] a foundation for his future work in mathematical physics.

Recieving ..... and developing ...... are the actions/results/consequences Albert's attended the class...thus Recieving...and developing should be II to each other...correct :)
(C) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, ]received[] in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and [b]he developed[/b] he is not required(independent clause)
(E) attending the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and developing IS he still attending?thus incorrect

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: After moving to Switzerland in the 1890s, Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 10:14
|| ism. E is tempting. But i think AE did it in the past. So going for A.
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 75

Re: After moving to Switzerland in the 1890s, Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 04:47
mind boggling question...(A) WINS

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 58

Re: After moving to Switzerland in the 1890s, Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 04:50
Please help

Is it parallel ??

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 24

Re: After moving to Switzerland in the 1890s, Albert Einstein [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 06:20
I see a lot of complicated explanations involving the use of grammatical terms. While most of these explanations are accurate , i believe that when we prioritize grammar over
the meaning, we may miss the sky for the stars. We have 3 verbs in the sentence.If we recognize the correct sequence of the actions, then the keys to the kingdom will be ours.

The 3 verbs in the sentence are

- Attend
- Receive
- Develop

a) We need to understand is the sequence of EACH OF these verbs. The actions which are parallel need to be in same tense.
b) "AND" is usually a parallelism marker. The word "AND" can either indicate a set of events that happen AT THE SAME TIME, or indicate a SEQUENCE of events that happen one after the other.
c) Remember for a list of 3 or more items that are described using the word "AND", GMAT always uses a ,comma to separate the last item.
E.g: red, blue ,and green.
E.g : John, jane, jacob ,and Chris

A detour :-
Look at these examples. Full Disclosure : These examples are based on a couple of examples that i have seen Ron Purewal use. Somehow, the act of visualizing someone eating, burping and slurping burns these examples into one's memory :-) and hence are suited best to drive home the basic principles.

John ate the pizza, slurping loudly and burping regularly - IMPLIES THAT JOHN ATE THE PIZZA AND DURING THE PROCESS OF EATING, HE MADE SLURPING AND BURPING SOUNDS.
John ate the pizza, slurped loudly and ,burped regularly - IMPLIES THAT JOHN ATE THE PIZZA FIRST AND THEN AFTER EATING , HE MADE SLURPING SOUNDS (second) AND AFTER HE MADE SLURPING SOUNDS, HE MADE BURPING SOUNDS(third).
John ate the pizza, slurping loudly and burped regularly- IMPLIES THAT JOHN ATE THE PIZZA AND DURING THE PROCESS OF EATING, HE MADE SLURPING SOUNDS and AFTER HE FINISHED EATING(and slurping), he MADE BURPING SOUNDS.

Back to the question :-
MEANING OF THE GIVEN SENTENCE :
Albert Einstein attended some college and during his period of attendance, he received training and developed something. The main verb of the sentence is is "Attended" and the other terms "Receive" and "develop" are VERB-ing modifiers that describe the how Albert Einstein attended college.

CORRECT ANSWER :-
(A) attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and developing

------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT TO POST DETAILED EXPLANATIONS.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED
------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by hafizkarim on 05 Sep 2012, 07:30, edited 3 times in total.
Re: After moving to Switzerland in the 1890s, Albert Einstein   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2012, 06:20