Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2006, 08:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: Very tough question (for me) [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 00:12
Minheequang wrote:
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals

(A) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to
(B) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to
(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

It's in Gmatprep, one of the hardest questions I have ever faced. Who can have the clearest answer ? I think it's all about meaning, which is sometimes above my knowledge

P?S: with each post, I will pose question against your explanation until I meet a stronger one than mine

C is the best

1. Guys, pay attention to the clue:Right before the underlined part of the sentence, you have a comma. The comma is the clue here, and the comma suggests that the sentence needs an independent clause that is parallel with the main clause "the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area". So D and E out

2. You need a participle "falling..." here to show the result of "Unable to handle the increase in business" of the company, so B out

3. I dont know how to explain the error in "its payment to", but A out (for me) :-D

C remains
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 7

Re: Very tough question (for me) [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 06:09
sondenso wrote:
Minheequang wrote:
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals

(A) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to
(B) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to
(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

It's in Gmatprep, one of the hardest questions I have ever faced. Who can have the clearest answer ? I think it's all about meaning, which is sometimes above my knowledge

P?S: with each post, I will pose question against your explanation until I meet a stronger one than mine

C is the best

1. Guys, pay attention to the clue:Right before the underlined part of the sentence, you have a comma. The comma is the clue here, and the comma suggests that the sentence needs an independent clause that is parallel with the main clause "the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area". So D and E out

2. You need a participle "falling..." here to show the result of "Unable to handle the increase in business" of the company, so B out

3. I dont know how to explain the error in "its payment to", but A out (for me) :-D

C remains

Here it says that OA is E: sc-gmatprep-1-healthcare-76041.html#p572414
However, you raised a point about comma that I find interesting.
Given we now know the OA, I would be keen to know what you think.
Thanks
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: Very tough question (for me) [#permalink] New post 15 May 2009, 07:36
I remmember somewhere in OG that if I want to use comma before conjunction, I must use a clause. Now I cannt find what sentence in OG. May be I misremember.

:x :x :x
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 75

Re: Very tough question (for me) [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 23:10
had to make a choice between C & E. Finally,

C is out as after the comma, we need a dependent clause. The part after the the comma is an independent clause, thereby causing the sentence to include a run-on error.

E seems correct to me.

Can someone explain why "proving" in D is wrong?

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Very tough question (for me) [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 01:41
@gmatpapa
Option D is in present continuous whereas the sentence is in pass tense. Became is not parallel to proving.
Health care provider failed to handle the increasing in business.

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - Health care company [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 06:35
Surprisingly, OA is E.
Could anybody explain why "it" is not needed after but to make an independent clause?
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP

Re: SC:health care company [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 06:37
I once learned that when you have Independent clause, FANBOY "here you need an independent clause", so "it" would be needed.
Could anybody explain why "it" is missing in E (OA is E)?
Thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP

Re: SC-healthy care company [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 06:37
I once learned that when you have Independent clause, FANBOY "here you need an independent clause", so "it" would be needed.
Could anybody explain why "it" is missing in E (OA is E)?
Thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP

Re: SC - a problem once appeared in real GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 06:40
wudy wrote:
C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying--What does the "it" refer to? "its paying" is definitely wrong here.

I dont agree with that.
The "it" of the second (independent) clause refers to the subject of the first clause (health care company).
No ambiguity for me there.
Moreover, when you have an independent clause, a comma and a "but", after that you need an independent clause.
Could anybody clarify this point?
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP

Re: Brutal SC Q19 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 06:41
IC, FANBOY IC.
Therefore, "it" should be needed.
Could anybody clarify?
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP

Re: Very tough question (for me) [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 06:47
Sondeso, I'm with you.
I have read on the OG that independent clause, FANBOY independent clause; so "it" would be needed.

If there were no comma: The health care company became X but proved Y would be fine. However, with the comma, things change: The health care company became X, but it proved Y would be the best option.

Thanks.

sondenso wrote:
Minheequang wrote:

C is the best

C remains

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP

Re: SC - Several Years [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 06:48
I have read on the OG that independent clause, FANBOY independent clause; so "it" would be needed.

If there were no comma: The health care company became X but proved Y would be fine. However, with the comma, things change: The health care company became X, but it proved Y would be the best option.

Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

After several years of rapid growth, the healthy care [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 06:48
This topic have been merged with: http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic-34874.html
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 302

Kudos [?]: 751 [0], given: 6

Re: Very tough question (for me) [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 11:25
Expert's post
Minheequang wrote:

OA is E

Here's how I went about it:

Step 1) While vs but then

I knew that the "healthcare company became one of the largest"---and then the part where it says "unable to handle the increase in business"---implies that the transition word we need is something that implies "however"

The idea is the company became really bit...BUT THEN...it couldn't handle being big.

So that's what I saw in (C), (D), and (E). I crossed off (A) and (B) for now.

Step 2) It proved Vs proving Vs proved.......
"Proving" in (D) doesn't make sense here. "but then proving unable to do blah blah blah, [something here]"
But that's not the sentence structure we see. So we know (D) is no good.

As far as "it proved" vs "proved in choices (C) and (E)---it's hard to say definitively so I keep reading the sentence.

Step 3) Looking closer at (C) and (E).
Then I notice they're trying to test me on "In its paying doctors" Vs "In paying doctors"

Well, "in its paying doctors" sounds kind of awkward. "In paying doctors" is much simpler and gets to the point

So there we have it--answer (E) but just doing a few simple thought processes the GMATPill way.

Hope that helps!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 00:55
I think we can fairly easily boil it down to C & E...
Now the question is do we need "it" or not...

At first I missed this question as well but... Here is my explanation...
(C)... "it"??? whenever "it" is used in a sentence in a pronoun context... it refer to the noun that is closest... so "it" could be for "the Metropolitan area" or "health care company"

(E) makes it simple but not using "it"

Correct Answer (E)

Minheequang wrote:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 48

CAT Tests
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 21:10
In A and B, while it then is a contradiction in terms.
While -- even when it serves to indicate contrast -- implies AT THE SAME TIME.
Then means LATER.
Eliminate A and B.

In C, its paying doctors is incorrect.
POSSESSIVE + GERUND + DIRECT OBJECT is not a viable construction on the GMAT.
Eliminate C.

In D, proving is not parallel with became.
A conjunction such as but must connect PARALLEL FORMS.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 48

CAT Tests
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 22:06
In A and B, while it then is a contradiction in terms.
While -- even when it serves to indicate contrast -- implies AT THE SAME TIME.
Then means LATER.
Eliminate A and B.

In C, its paying doctors is incorrect.
POSSESSIVE + GERUND + DIRECT OBJECT is not a viable construction on the GMAT.
Eliminate C.

In D, proving is not parallel with became.
A conjunction such as but must connect PARALLEL FORMS.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 22:05
[quote="Minheequang"]After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals

(A) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to (While modifier eliminate)
(B) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to ( While modifier eliminate)
(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying ( But then it proved eliminate)
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying ( proving.. doesnt make sense eliminate)
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying ( Correct )

DARK KNIGHT

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Schools: IIMC (I), IIM
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 30

Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 13:48
E:
1. the company became..........BUT.........proved : Became & Proved parallel

2. the company proved unable to handle......, falling........ : +ing modifier aptly modifies the preceeding clause ; the company was unable to handle businesss..........(what was the result? ??? ) falling behind in paying to docs

leading to E, my take
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 28

Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 20:27
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A and B are ruled out because use of while is incorrect
A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its
payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its
payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
Correct Answer
i. 'IT' in the first part is used as a placeholder, please refer MGMAT SC book if you are not comfortable with Placeholder IT.
ii. in the second part, use of 'its' is correct as it indicates that the company wasn't able to pay its staff and not all the doctors in the city as implied by other statements

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
use of proving is wrong
E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
does not qualify as correct as discussed for option C
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2013, 20:27