Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2006, 08:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 03:59
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals

(A) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to
(B) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to
(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

The official answer is E, as I saw on few threads discussing this question

somehow I don't understand how official answer can be E as clearly a comma and but indicate an independent clause (I presume there had not been any typos while posting and that comma is indeed out from the underlined part) then how can E be the answer as it clearly lacks subject....The answer must be C....I would like to have some expert opinion here if E really is the answer..or please if someone who has come across this question can clarify if the comma is in the underlined part
Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 04:01
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals

(A) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to
(B) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to
(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

somehow I don't understand how official answer can be E as clearly a comma and but indicate an independent clause (I presume there had not been any typos while posting and that comma is indeed out from the underlined part) then how can E be the answer as it clearly lacks subject....The answer must be C....I would like to have some expert opinion here if E really is the answer..or please if someone who has come across this question can clarify if the comma is in the underlined part
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 465

Kudos [?]: 1834 [0], given: 29

Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 08:41
Expert's post
ratinarace wrote:

Dear ratinarace,

I'm happy to help with this. :-) This question is about parallelism. The noun "the health care company" is the subject, and the best sentence has two verbs in parallel for this subject. This is exactly what (E) has:

.... the health care company became ......, but proved .....

Those two underlined verbs are in parallel. We don't need a pronoun before the second verb --- that actually makes the sentences longer and clunkier. The most concise and efficient sentence puts the two verbs directly in parallel.

Does this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1091 [0], given: 118

Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 10:59
ratinarace wrote:

Hi Ratinarace.

First, according to Manhattan Gmat, you cannot use a comma to separate two independent clauses. A comma is only used to connect two dependent clauses. If we have same subject, we can omit the subject in the second clause. For instance: I like apple, but always eat orange.

Next, the answer cannot be C. Let analyze the last two parts in C and E.
C: falling months behind in its paying doctors
E: falling months behind in paying doctors

What makes them different. the difference lies in "its".
In C, Because there's "its", so "paying" plays like an adjective and modifies doctors, not the health care company. Hence, the meaning is that the company is falling behind "the paying doctors". It doesn't make any sense.
In E, paying is real modifier that gives us more information about how the company proved unable to handle the increase in business (Because the company is falling behind in paying salaries for doctors and hospitals)

Hope it's clear now.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1420 [0], given: 245

Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 11:58
Expert's post
Long compound sentences comprising two ICs that are connected by coordinating conjunctions such as and , or, but and so on ( there are seven of them called fanboys) generally use a comma before the conjunction; But this is skippable in short sentences

He hoped that he could get through his GMAT with over 700, but could hardly manage just 550
He wanted not tea but coffee
In the second case, we have not used any comma before but although the conjunction connects two independent nouns namely tea and coffee.
So connecting two ICS is only one of the functions of these fanboys, although they also connect other things as tow adverbs, verbs, adjective, adverbs, prepositional phrases etc
It may be also seen that in compound it is perfectly ok to skip the subject of the second IC in order to avoid redundancy, provided the subject of the first IC can also stand for the second IC.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q45 V45
GMAT 2: Q51 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 15:25
ratinarace wrote:

You are correct in saying that the comma often indicates two independent clauses. However, the comma is sometimes used to prevent any potential confusion that may arise from a long phrase or to emphasize certain parts of a sentence. The problem with C is "its paying" is awkward. Whenever there is a noun equivalent of a gerund, you should use the noun, in this case "payment".

I hope this is helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 70

Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 20:34
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 01:17
jerrywu wrote:
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

Breaking the sentence:

"After several years of rapid growth" it is a modifier phrase modifying the main clause
main clause or clause 1 = the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area ( Health care company is the subject and became is the verb. In the metropolitan area is a prepositional phrase answering the question Where it became the largest health care company?

clause2 = while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals. (use of while is incorrect in this as while denotes simultaneous activities and given time frame) "It" is the subject of the clause and "proved" is the verb. "falling" is an verb-ING modifier modifying the subject of previous clause "IT" therefore we need "It" as a subject in previous clause
Choice C removes "while" and retains "It" so as per me this should be the correct answer.
can someone please help me understand why E is chosen over C?

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 297

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 20:22
IT is redundant
Same as (A)
Same as (A)
proving is not a verb when it should be
Correct as is

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 21

Reviews Badge
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 22:07
I had initially selected D, checking for parallelism between "proving" and "falling" but agree with Hades. E is the answer.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 120

Premium Member CAT Tests
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 13:33
(main clause) ... area, but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

why there is a comma before but if subject is common ? usually gmat don't make such mistake. may be I am wrong.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2014, 13:33