Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [75]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [34]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618976 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: After suffering the effects of several tsunamis, the residents of a Ja [#permalink]
Kudos
C.

After the tsunami, the residents of a city built a wall, PROTECTING the city against another disaster.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: After suffering the effects of several tsunamis, the residents of a Ja [#permalink]
Kudos
im with E

why'd they build a wall?

they built a wall in order to protect

whyd they build a wall?

C says protecting against another disaster, awkward, changes meaning
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Can some one please clarify this .
I am not able to narrow down after eliminating A , D.
SO bacially i am stuck with B, C , E
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
In E: The comma after long is a problem there, because the comma indicates that a modifier, an adverbial modifier using a verb+ing form is about to come to modify the entire essence of the preceding clause. However, what we have here is an infinitive. Normally a sentence does not take an infinitive after a comma.

If the comma were not there after long, I think E would be ok as it is; IMO the phrase ‘a way to protect the city against another disaster’ simply dangles without a suitable modified noun or action.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31925 [4]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mbunny wrote:
After suffering the effects of several tsunamis, the residents of a Japanese city built a wall on their coast over forty feet high and a mile long, a way to protect the city against another disaster.

A) a way to protect
B) in efforts to protect
C) protecting
D) to protect in one way
E) in order to protect

hi sumanainampudi,

In ref to a PM

firstly what should separate out choices is COMMA right before the underlined portion.

B,D and E start with a preposition and show a break in continuity of a sentence
Only two choices - A and C - are left

lets see A first..
a way to protect - this is used as an appositive modifier and is used to modify a noun but here it does not fit

Now lets see why C is correct
protecting
this is verb+ing modifier or a present participle and when preceded by a COMMA modifies the PRECEDING clause, that is it gives some purpose etc of the clause

so C fits in here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
IMO: after the comma, a modifier is used; modifier correctly modifying a wall.

Can anyone explain why A is incorrect?

Thanks in Advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rupeshnverbal wrote:

Thanks in Advance
A way is like a method, and it's not very accurate to call a wall a method.

You could also try the official question that this question is based on.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
rupeshnverbal wrote:
'A way...'

isn't that absolute phrase?
No. It is an appositive. "A way..." is just a noun that is supposed to describe the wall.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
rupeshnverbal wrote:

Thanks in Advance
A way is like a method, and it's not very accurate to call a wall a method.

You could also try the official question that this question is based on.

Really thanks AjiteshArun for your kind simple explanation and pointing out the OG question. Now I understood the logic behind it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Really thanks AjiteshArun for your kind simple explanation and pointing out the OG question. Now I understood the logic behind it.
And thank you for the kind words, Mo2men. I think that it was a great gesture from your side to take the time to add that reply. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM