Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After the company recalled one of its best-selling products,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 690 [1] , given: 40

GMAT Tests User
After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 00:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

85% (01:59) correct 15% (01:35) wrong based on 207 sessions
After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it would be forced to accept a one billion dollar loss, an expense that would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(A) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it would be forced to accept a one billion dollar loss, an expense that would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(B) As the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it accepted a one billion dollar loss; forcing its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(C) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, its one billion dollar loss would have to be accepted; such a loss would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy.

(D) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it was forced to accept a one billion dollar loss; its main competitor would have been forced to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(E) When the company recalled one of its best-selling products, a one billion dollar loss it was forced to accept, an expense that would have forced its main competitor into bankruptcy.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 258 [2] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: One billion dollar loss [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 01:10
This post received
KUDOS

i'm choosing between A & D.

B, C & E are clearly out.

B) for incorrectly using semi-colon
C) change of meaning ..... its one billion dollar loss would have to be accepted ...
E) awkward ... a one billion dollar loss it was forced to accept

i think the problem with A is the use of 'would'

AFTER the company recalled ... it WOULD/WAS
WAS is correct because we're talking about a past incident (AFTER)

IF the company recalled .. it WOULD ---> correct use of 'would'

IMO it is D ... what is the OA?

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: One billion dollar loss [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 01:11
IN A an absolute modifier 'an expense...' modifies the previous clause. but the first conditional 'would' isnt required. and hence makes this choice wrong.D solves this issue and hence is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: One billion dollar loss [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 01:12
dammit miss the first reply by a minute :cry:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: One billion dollar loss [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 01:21
It must be D. I selected B which is clearly wrong :cry: (1:40)

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: One billion dollar loss [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 11:26
D... others are wrong or change the meaning

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 21:15
would pronoun ambiguity not be an issue in the option D? the second part of the sentence uses it in two different ways.

Please clarify
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 21:27
ykaiim, could you please publish the OA? IMO, the answer should be D. vijayvenky, I presume the use of "it" in the option D for the second part still refers to the first noun Company in the sentence.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: One billion dollar loss [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 22:15
200% D :-D

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 22:21
IMO D. A according to me is wrong as it uses "would"
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: One billion dollar loss [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 09:44
D :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 18:09
D and A are the contenders for me. I picked D in the end since it is less wordiness and breaking into two part.

What is the OA for this?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 18:30
OA is D

A is wrong because of error in tense. After past simple, clause following also contain in past form. Choice D match this.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 05:35
but in the option D, do all "it" refer to the company. I am sure the last it does not. I am quite confused with such statements. Can verbal instructors, such as e-gmat, can take up this?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

Re: After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 10:57
ykaiim wrote:
After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it would be forced to accept a one billion dollar loss, an expense that would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(A) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it would be forced to accept a one billion dollar loss, an expense that would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(B) As the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it accepted a one billion dollar loss; forcing its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(C) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, its one billion dollar loss would have to be accepted; such a loss would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy.

(D) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it was forced to accept a one billion dollar loss; its main competitor would have been forced to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(E) When the company recalled one of its best-selling products, a one billion dollar loss it was forced to accept, an expense that would have forced its main competitor into bankruptcy.

One error to note in A is a one billion dollar LOSS is considered as expense. However, it is one billion dollar and not LOSS which should be counted as expense.

In D, pronoun use is correct. Moreover, the sentence after ; is proper and standalone.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 11:19
it has to be D for the correct conditional sentences

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 15:38
D is my choice.
The sentence is clear and unambiguous, which is not the case with the rest of the sentences.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 18:32
ykaiim wrote:

---------------------------

B and E changes meaning of sentence. (Given sentence is like uncertain Cause ---> Effect relation)
Left with A,C and D
C --> After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, its one billion dollar loss would have to be accepted; such a loss would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy. Second sentence seems to depend on immediate phrase, if this is case semicolon is not needed.
A -->After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it would be forced to accept a one billion dollar loss, an expense that would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss. There is discontinuity in sentence. (i could not find the error exactly)
This left me with D.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 19:02

D is a clear winner as it separates two closely related statements by a semicolon
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 23

Re: After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 22:43
Clearly 'D' is the answer

in 'A' sentence is run-on
sentence should be separated by conjunction with comma.

Thriving for CHANGE

Re: After the company recalled one of its best-selling products,   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2012, 22:43