Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After the Vietnam war Bettye Granther, a U.S. Army nurse,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
After the Vietnam war Bettye Granther, a U.S. Army nurse, [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 01:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
After the Vietnam war Bettye Granther, a U.S. Army nurse, continued her efforts on behalf of injured Vietnamese children, providing medical care, helping to reunite estranged families, and the establishment of a fund for the children’s future education.
(A) the establishment of a fund for the children’s future education
(B) the establishing of a fund for the future education of children
(C) establishing a fund for the children’s future education
(D) establishing a fund for the childrens’ future education
(E) the establishment of a fund for the childrens’ future education
Because of the business community’s uncertainty about the President’s position in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has occurred.
(A) in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has
(B) on the deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has
(C) regarding the budgetary deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates have
(D) on the deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates have
(E) regarding the deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rats have
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Two more SC's [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 01:53
I am going ahead with C for the first query and
A for the second query.

For the 1st query, "establishing" maintains parallelism and I think "childern's" is correct usage though normal plural nouns ending with 's' end as " parents' ".

For the 2nd query, C, D & E are out of scope because "an unanticipated rise in interest rates has" is the correct usage and not "an unanticipated rise in interest rates have". B looks too simplistic in the sense that it raises queries like which deficit is it all about?

crackgmat750 wrote:
After the Vietnam war Bettye Granther, a U.S. Army nurse, continued her efforts on behalf of injured Vietnamese children, providing medical care, helping to reunite estranged families, and the establishment of a fund for the children’s future education.
Because of the business community’s uncertainty about the President’s position in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has occurred.
(A) in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has
(C) regarding the budgetary deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates have

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 02:02
hi ,

1---my ans is C ...maintains the parallel contruction

and also between D and C the children's is more appropriate since it refers to as ''belonging to '' of the children rather than a plural form of it....

2) the use of ''have'' is incorrect 'cos here the ''rise'' is the subject in the second part of the sentence and ''has'' is the right verb...

that points off C D and E ....

between A and B I would like B cos even though it seems too simple thr is some thing wrong with A ... ''regard with '' is more apppropriate than REGARD to....

I could be wrong let me know...

Have fun :-D

the whole worldmakes way for the man who knows wer he's going... good luck

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 07:57
For (1) C should be it, as this is the only choice which maintains parallelism

In (2) B (for Brevity) should be the answer. The correct usage of regard would be
"regard with respect"
and
"in regards to our conversation"

Others: Please mention the rules which guide the use of Regard(s)
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Two more SC's [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 09:45
1. C
parrallelism

2. B
Has is correct
on the deficit in B much more precise than in regard to the issue of the budget deficit in A

(PS: please post more than 1 SC in seperate threads. Its easier to read - Thanks)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 11:21
OA answers are 1. C 2. B
1. Why is D incorrect? Doesnt Astrestix above the s in childrens , means the same thing as children's?
2. I choose A because , even though it is wordy, it clears the meaning. B only talks about deficit. But which deficit? How can we ourselves assume that deficit is of budget.I always thought that In GMAT land you are not allowed to assume anything yourself. Please clarify on this.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Two more SC's [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2004, 09:36
crackgmat750 wrote:

Answer I - C - Parallelism

Answer II - B. WHne "position" implies an opinion or attitude, it should be followed by the preposition "on"

Mayur

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2004, 19:52
crackgmat750 wrote:
OA answers are 1. C 2. B
1. Why is D incorrect? Doesnt Astrestix above the s in childrens , means the same thing as children's?
2. I choose A because , even though it is wordy, it clears the meaning. B only talks about deficit. But which deficit? How can we ourselves assume that deficit is of budget.I always thought that In GMAT land you are not allowed to assume anything yourself. Please clarify on this.

1. Chlidern's (children of)... Childrens --- not a noun, it doesn't exist.
2. idiom: position on. you are right in saying that 'budget deficit' would have cleared any doubt, but, I think, in general terms, Deficit actually refers to budget deficit.
  [#permalink] 23 Jun 2004, 19:52