Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After thirty years of investigation into cell genetics, rese

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 182 [1] , given: 17

After thirty years of investigation into cell genetics, rese [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
After thirty years of investigation into cell genetics, researchers made startling discoveries in the 1960s and early 1970s which culminated in the development of processes, collectively known as recombinant deoxyribonucleic acid (rDNA) technology, for the active manipulation of a cell’s genetic code. The technology has created excitement and controversy because it involves altering DNA—which contains the building blocks of the genetic code.
Using rDNA technology, scientists can transfer a portion of the DNA from one organism to a single living cell of another. The scientist chemically “snips” the DNA chain of the host cell at a predetermined point and attaches another piece of DNA from a donor cell at that place, creating a completely new organism.
Proponents of rDNA research and development claim that it will allow scientists to find cures for disease and to better understand how genetic information controls an organism’s development. They also see many other potentially practical benefits, especially in the pharmaceutical industry. Some corporations employing the new technology even claim that by the end of the century all major diseases will be treated with drugs derived from microorganisms created through rDNA technology. Pharmaceutical products already developed, but not yet marketed, indicate that these predictions may be realized.
Proponents also cite nonmedical applications for this technology. Energy production and waste disposal may benefit: genetically altered organisms could convert sewage and other organic material into methane fuel. Agriculture might also take advantage of rDNA technology to produce new varieties of crops that resist foul weather, pests, and the effects of poor soil.
A major concern of the critics of rDNA research is that genetically altered microorganisms might escape from the laboratory. Because these microorganisms are laboratory creations that, in all probability, do not occur in nature, their interaction with the natural world cannot be predicted with certainty. It is possible that they could cause previously unknown, perhaps incurable diseases. The effect of genetically altered microorganisms on the world’s microbiological predator-prey relationships is another potentially serious problem pointed out by the opponents of rDNA research. Introducing a new species may disrupt or even destroy the existing ecosystem. The collapse of interdependent relationships among species, extrapolated to its extreme, could eventually result in the destruction of humanity.
Opponents of rDNA technology also cite ethical problems with it. For example, it gives scientists the power to instantly cross evolutionary and species boundaries that nature took millennia to establish. The implications of such power would become particularly profound if genetic engineers were to tinker with human genes, a practice that would bring us one step closer to Aldous Huxley’s grim vision in Brave New World of a totalitarian society that engineers human beings to fulfill specific roles.
1. In the passage, the author is primarily concerned with doing which one of the following?
(A) explaining the process and applications of rDNA technology
(B) advocating continued rDNA research and development
(C) providing evidence indicating the need for regulation of rDNA research and development
(D) summarizing the controversy surrounding rDNA research and development
(E) arguing that the environmental risks of rDNA technology may outweigh its medical benefits
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

2. According to the passage, which one of the following is an accurate statement about research into the genetic code of cells?
(A) It led to the development of processes for the manipulation of DNA.
(B) It was initiated by the discovery of rDNA technology.
(C) It led to the use of new treatments for major diseases.
(D) It was universally heralded as a great benefit to humanity.
(E) It was motivated by a desire to create new organisms.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

3. The potential benefits of rDNA technology referred to in the passage include all of the following EXCEPT
(A) new methods of waste treatment
(B) new biological knowledge
(C) enhanced food production
(D) development of less expensive drugs
(E) increased energy production
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

4. Which one of the following, if true, would most weaken an argument of opponents of rDNA technology?
(A) New safety procedures developed by rDNA researchers make it impossible for genetically altered microorganisms to escape from laboratories.
(B) A genetically altered microorganism accidentally released from a laboratory is successfully contained.
(C) A particular rDNA-engineered microorganism introduced into an ecosystem attracts predators that keep its population down.
(D) Genetically altered organisms designed to process sewage into methane cannot survive outside the waste treatment plant.
(E) A specific hereditary disease that has plagued humankind for generations is successfully eradicated.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

5. The author’s reference in the last sentence of the passage to a society that engineers human beings to fulfill specific roles serves to
(A) emphasize the potential medical dangers of rDNA technology
(B) advocate research on the use of rDNA technology in human genetics
(C) warn of the possible disasters that could result from upsetting the balance of nature
(D) present Brave New World as an example of a work of fiction that accurately predicted technological developments
(E) illustrate the sociopolitical ramifications of applying genetic engineering to humans
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

6. Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen an argument of the opponents of rDNA technology?
(A) Agricultural products developed through rDNA technology are no more attractive to consumers than are traditional crops.
(B) Genetically altered microorganisms have no natural predators but can prey on a wide variety of other microorganisms.
(C) Drugs produced using rDNA technology cost more to manufacture than drugs produced with traditional technologies.
(D) Ecosystems are impermanent systems that are often liable to collapse, and occasionally do so.
(E) Genetically altered microorganisms generally cannot survive for more than a few hours in the natural environment.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
[spoiler=]B
[/spoiler]

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Last edited by fameatop on 28 Jul 2013, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
OA not Provided & improper formatting
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 11:22
1. D
2. B
3. D
4. D
5. E
6. B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 13:09
1. D
2. B
3. D
4. D
5. E
6. B
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [1] , given: 1

Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 15:53
This post received
KUDOS
Got D A D A E B

I felt that the 4th one was tricky. Initially felt D, but the whole 3rd para runs on the premise that these altered organisms are harmful when they escape. So if there is no way they can escape, opponents dont have any thing to gripe as they did in the 3rd paragraph.

I chose E for 5 very uncomfortably, as I dont see a justification for the part of the word political, I agree with the social part. The only other that came close was C but E was better than C as the upsetting of balance of nature is dealt in 3rd para and not in 4th para or last sentence. Does any one see a justification for the political word in E? Totalitarian society is captured in the social part.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 16:05
nitya, you said you will post one RC a day - this is the second one for the day :-D jk
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 16:10
botirvoy wrote:
nitya, you said you will post one RC a day - this is the second one for the day :-D jk

no he/she said 3 RC's per day. I am waiting for the third one.
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 01:00
My ans are:
E
A
D
A
C
B
Everyone has chosen D for first Q but Im going for E. Lets c wht the OA are.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 17

Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 09:01
My take
DADAEB
OAs to be posted in 12 hrs :)

+1 for icandy for the Discussion part. I almost faced the same situation.
Thanks Guys for the participation

math-polygons-87336.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 09:40
1 D
2 A
3 E
4 A
5 E
6 B
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 17

Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 09:49
thanks for the overwhelming response
Disclosing the OAs--DADAEB(same as my last post :lol: )

math-polygons-87336.html

VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 15:48
I agree with rest of the answers. Nitya, canu pls post the OE for 5th Question. During my attempt, C and E were strong contenders but i finally went with C bcos author mentions abt the potential dangers of upsetting the balance of nature. OE will shed light on where I was wrong. Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

CAT Tests
Re: =========== LSAT ========= After thirty years of [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 09:18
DADCEB....timing:16:12..Initail reading:3:30
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 307

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 10:23
ritula wrote:
I agree with rest of the answers. Nitya, canu pls post the OE for 5th Question. During my attempt, C and E were strong contenders but i finally went with C bcos author mentions abt the potential dangers of upsetting the balance of nature. OE will shed light on where I was wrong. Thanks in advance

Hey there @ritula
Did you manage to understand the difference between both answer choices. I made the same mistake and would like to know where I went wrong.
Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Re: RC No 1-rDNA technology----March 5   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2013, 10:23